Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys what are you doing where the PCV mounts on the back of the intake?? I tracked down an oil leak to the back of the intake and found the hole for the pcv without anything in it. May have blown her out sometime ago. Not only is it making a mess but that's a pretty big vacuum leak to. So what to do? Put another PCV back in it? But won't it just blow out?? If not what are you guys doing?? Help would be appreciated. Thanks - Jim

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
SOLVED!

Well for those of you who looked at the previous thread but couldn't offer a response I thought I would share my solution. A close friend of mine offered this advice. Go to an auto parts store and ask for an expandable rubber plug. I bought one that was 1" but expanded larger than that. Pulled the grommet in the intake that held the pcv. Tightened up the nut on the plug and hammered her in. I couldn't tighten it up with it in place because the washer just turned on the plug. I think that's gonna solve my problem. It fit snug so I think she's gonna hold. Hope this helps somebody out!

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
no one replied because this has only been covered about 10 million times.
search button is your friend

:salute:

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no one replied because this has only been covered about 10 million times.
search button is your friend

:salute:
:) Thanks- but I never saw a good solution to plugging that hole anywhere. Guys were gluing bolts to the grommet and I think you may have even said something about plugging off the old pcv that was in the intake. I never saw anywhere where anybody was using an expandable plug. Probably the best solution IMO.

·
Registered
939 Posts
:) Thanks- but I never saw a good solution to plugging that hole anywhere. Guys were gluing bolts to the grommet and I think you may have even said something about plugging off the old pcv that was in the intake. I never saw anywhere where anybody was using an expandable plug. Probably the best solution IMO.
really need to keep the PCV system..used a check valve since you only need to switch systems when in boost. Now best way to do that is a catch can setup.

·
Registered
268 Posts
might be all that blow by from your roasted piston rings via that 175 shot and all those passes:crying:

·
Registered
873 Posts
the hole going to the lower, will not make a vacuum leak. it will make a oily mess. yes i have pluged them with a expandable plug, in a pinch. best is to put a freeze plug in it tho.

but you have to have some sort of way to vent the crank case pressure. via the valve covers and a catch can or what not

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the hole going to the lower, will not make a vacuum leak. it will make a oily mess. yes i have pluged them with a expandable plug, in a pinch. best is to put a freeze plug in it tho.

but you have to have some sort of way to vent the crank case pressure. via the valve covers and a catch can or what not
Can you vent the crankcase with PCV valves in the valve covers. Somebody told me that they only open under vacuum. So do they need to be tied into the intake? or will they vent correctly in the valve covers if just vented to an oil catch to atmosphere??

·
Registered
873 Posts
Can you vent the crankcase with PCV valves in the valve covers. Somebody told me that they only open under vacuum. So do they need to be tied into the intake? or will they vent correctly in the valve covers if just vented to an oil catch to atmosphere??
auto makers done it like that for decades.

they open under vacuum correct. but with boost going into the intake stream, whats it do then? oh it can let boost into the crank case. hence why most install a one way check valve in the pcv hose.

they dont have to be ,but is best. but not when running boost.

they will vent yes, aslong as there is no restriction. but IMO, id rather have a draw working on the crank case in terms, suck on it. like a vacuum pump system on big race cars. helps make better piston ring seal. using the breathers like these
http://www.jegs.com/i/Moroso/710/68781/10002/-1
is a great way to keep the oil in the motor, then run the hoses from those to a catch can. i run sealed catch cans like the upr ones, and draw air from the intake stream before the turbo. this subject has been talked about several times over in this forum alone.

but here is some good reading on this subject for you. http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-engine-fuel/366890-4g63t-pcv-system.html#post152294004

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/custom-fabrication/372279-my-new-crankcase-evactuation-system.html

·
Registered
939 Posts
auto makers done it like that for decades.

they open under vacuum correct. but with boost going into the intake stream, whats it do then? oh it can let boost into the crank case. hence why most install a one way check valve in the pcv hose.

they dont have to be ,but is best. but not when running boost.

they will vent yes, aslong as there is no restriction. but IMO, id rather have a draw working on the crank case in terms, suck on it. like a vacuum pump system on big race cars. helps make better piston ring seal. using the breathers like these
http://www.jegs.com/i/Moroso/710/68781/10002/-1
is a great way to keep the oil in the motor, then run the hoses from those to a catch can. i run sealed catch cans like the upr ones, and draw air from the intake stream before the turbo. this subject has been talked about several times over in this forum alone.

but here is some good reading on this subject for you. http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-engine-fuel/366890-4g63t-pcv-system.html#post152294004

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/custom-fabrication/372279-my-new-crankcase-evactuation-system.html
If you would like oil vapors going in to the intake track and in to the combustion chamber lowering the octane of the fuel and allowing the threshold of detonation being lower. Which increase the likely hood of the motor going..boom.. by all means go ahead lol

·
Registered
873 Posts
If you would like oil vapors going in to the intake track and in to the combustion chamber lowering the octane of the fuel and allowing the threshold of detonation being lower. Which increase the likely hood of the motor going..boom.. by all means go ahead lol
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

so me where my systems do that?oh thats right they dont :rofl:

·
Registered
939 Posts
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

so me where my systems do that?oh thats right they dont :rofl:
Its basic logic no way are you separating the oil and vaprs what so ever, those little filters don't do jack.

Go over to Yellow bullet where the big boys play, TF too.

Your system works, yes but oil vapor is entering the intake track regardless. Lets lay this out in simple times...turbo sucks crank pressure out through the v/c...you don't have no filters what so ever (don't even mention a baffle)....add salt to the wound the air is mixed with oil/vapor hints the word oil vapor...goes through the catch can..not filter in any way or form then to the turbo.

The same system you run, is ran stock on evo's and evo x's...I have one in my garage or just drive up to Kings mistubshi in cin. ohio, where I got mine from. Take a look.

Physics > you

·
Registered
873 Posts
Its basic logic no way are you separating the oil and vaprs what so ever, those little filters don't do jack.

Go over to Yellow bullet where the big boys play, TF too.

Your system works, yes but oil vapor is entering the intake track regardless. Lets lay this out in simple times...turbo sucks crank pressure out through the v/c...you don't have no filters what so ever (don't even mention a baffle)....add salt to the wound the air is mixed with oil/vapor hints the word oil vapor...goes through the catch can..not filter in any way or form then to the turbo.

The same system you run, is ran stock on evo's and evo x's...I have one in my garage or just drive up to Kings mistubshi in cin. ohio, where I got mine from. Take a look.

Physics > you
:eeek:

here is where logic will own you. no filter. really. baffles in the valve covers help. the baffles in the breathers help some more. this filter thing inside MY upr catch can, works ####ing great. i went a to pop it off, drained the oil out. and even pulled the intake pipe apart, and all the oil stops at the catch can. here lets see why...

oh whats that in there... OMG, there's a filter in there. holy hell what do you know. you just told me there is no filter in there. how is it that your wrong.:rofl:. not only that, its a double filter with a wall in the middle, and there is a waffle baffle under that where all the oil lands. holy hell how is it that your wrong and have no idea what your talking about! maybe those cheap evilbay ones dont work well, but i know for a fact these work! i first learned of these great little things on the termy cars. i got sick of pulling the lower intake apart and cleaning all the oil out of every thing. started using these things, with just the right placement and routing, no more oil in the intake. huh, wonder how that works. and on extreme system, i use 2 of these on the valve covers. and one on the pcv, with a check valve.

and some more info for you, im in columbus. i would have to drive down to cincy to see said evos.not up to.

let alone i have been around cars running evac systems for a long ass time, and have learned a thing or 2 in my day. funny you mention evos. some of these same designs those guys use.

oh, heres one
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-engine-fuel/366890-4g63t-pcv-system.html#post152167643

heres another

funny how that first one is using a double catch can setup, (check valve on the pcv one) just like i use. maybe it wont work with 400 plus ci motor with twin 88's on it pushing 40 some lbs of boost, and only being WOT or at idle, but the system works damn fine on most of the street cars around here.

Logic > you

what was that you was saying? oh thats right , im some dumbass from the internet that hasnt never tired this before, and i have no idea of what im talking about :rolleyes: >:p

·
Registered
939 Posts
:eeek:

here is where logic will own you. no filter. really. baffles in the valve covers help. the baffles in the breathers help some more. this filter thing inside MY upr catch can, works ####ing great. i went a to pop it off, drained the oil out. and even pulled the intake pipe apart, and all the oil stops at the catch can. here lets see why...

oh whats that in there... OMG, there's a filter in there. holy hell what do you know. you just told me there is no filter in there. how is it that your wrong.:rofl:. not only that, its a double filter with a wall in the middle, and there is a waffle baffle under that where all the oil lands. holy hell how is it that your wrong and have no idea what your talking about! maybe those cheap evilbay ones dont work well, but i know for a fact these work! i first learned of these great little things on the termy cars. i got sick of pulling the lower intake apart and cleaning all the oil out of every thing. started using these things, with just the right placement and routing, no more oil in the intake. huh, wonder how that works. and on extreme system, i use 2 of these on the valve covers. and one on the pcv, with a check valve.

and some more info for you, im in columbus. i would have to drive down to cincy to see said evos.not up to.

let alone i have been around cars running evac systems for a long ass time, and have learned a thing or 2 in my day. funny you mention evos. some of these same designs those guys use.

oh, heres one
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-engine-fuel/366890-4g63t-pcv-system.html#post152167643

heres another

funny how that first one is using a double catch can setup, (check valve on the pcv one) just like i use. maybe it wont work with 400 plus ci motor with twin 88's on it pushing 40 some lbs of boost, and only being WOT or at idle, but the system works damn fine on most of the street cars around here.

Logic > you
Negative..Your full of fail.

So you got ss mesh in there.. great it will restrict the air flow going in and out. The oil is going to sit there still and some of it is going to go in the intake track regardless because of the pressure difference. so the oil is going in the motor weather you like it or not. yea it work, but fact that it puts oil in the intake track is something you can't argue at all. Those guys are trying to solve the problem like much of people on here are..how to get rid of the crankcase pressure. What you are doing is letting the oil collect in to there, but not allowing it to get anywhere else. The insides need to have a baffle system setup to where it the angles creates air pressure difference to allow the oil to come up with the air flow. Sure you didn't see any oil because the oil that was there in the intake during part throttle and cruising got sucked in to the motor and all evidence is gone. Leaning you think the system actually works. You'll see a true catch can for crank pressure will have a baffle system that looks like a cheese grater at different angles to let the oil cool down become a "soild" again. Along with having other baffling materials as well. It will then have a wall that it much go up to a outlet which then has a baffle. There use to be a guy on DSM forums or a talon forum that sold these, Name ecapes my mine.

Baffle comment has to do with the fact most people think baffles are enough...in which they aren't.

Point being is this. You will get oil vapor in your intake track.. purely simple.

yes I know evo's run 2 different catch cans but there is a reason for that one is a pcv system, other is catch can system likes your. Exactly right. But guess what...I take the intake pipe off and what do I see?? little amounts of oil and if it is there right at the turbo guess where else it is at? combustion chamber. They produce blow buy due to the ring gap being set wrong in some of the motors form the plant. Its documented on evox and evom.

My logic is not the question here, more of yours sir. I establish my point with facts and more if so be it. Hell I'll go take a picture of my turbo let-in just to educate you. Those dms guys been chasing their tail for years trying to find a solution not to get oil vapor in the combustion chamber...now what works? simple filter that is made to catch oil inline with the house from the turbo/can. I personally still don't use it, for my own reason. But that involves some fancy talk. Or could have a catch can and use a eletric motor as the reference line. Still draw more vacuum out that way vs the 0.6 that one member had ON the DSM forums...so go back and re-read. Then there is the fact of using evac system, but this system is trick to setup due to air velocity, turbo, downpipe size and routing and etc. Then lastly vacuum pump which setup right with the right ratio will be the best job. Sure people don't have 700-900 bucks for a setup, I get that and that's fine. I don't personally use them and 9-10 people that due don't have them setup correctly as the whole motor has the be sealed to produce good bit of vacuum.

Evap and evac are two different system... PCV is a EVAP system.. that has to do with emission only. Evac is a one last ditch effort to "burn" the emission through hot exhaust gases at all a while creating vacuum, which does work very well, but tricky light I said.

They work on street cars around there? what do ya do, sprinkle fair dust on them or something? Ship me some?

I was in you state for a merely 4-5 hours picking up my evo, sorry I didn't stop longer to get ohio history lesson. I'll do that next go around lol

·
Registered
873 Posts
and just what kind of filter is going to flow air, after its had oil all over it. i mean really. i see it being restricted after a short while. and it talks about the filter, but shows no pics of it or talks nothing about what is made of. guess i'll have to order one, cut it open,improve upon it , then mass produce this since its the grestest thing since sliced bread...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Can we all stop being overly confident jack asses?

It says exactly what type of filtration is used on that page:

Integrated coalescing filter and baffling.

Often used in air compressor filtering. So I think flow will not be a problem.

Why can't you guys just discuss this like men in a respectful manner? It makes learning for those reading much easier....and dropping your "#### his idea" mentality might let you see the obvious answers...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts