Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The likely track we will be racing is the Charlotte motor speedways "roval".

Charlotte is a 14 hour race.

Car is a simple 84 ltd that will get pbr's due to budget.

Will pbr's be adequate for this kind of race? Ots pads and rotors?

We plan on having spare parts, but can't afford cobra spare parts.

We are looking to have fun, but I'm sure there will be spirited driving and would would hate to see 100 plus down the straightaway and have no brakes.

All info appreciated.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Low budget ideas:

Cooling. Fabricate spindle ducts (get the airflow as much to the center of the rotor as possible) and cheap dryer vent hose.

Ford Heavy Duty ("truck") brake fluid is, I believe, the cheapest high boiling point fluid out there.

Performance Friction Z rated pads. Don't know if they'll truly last any longer, but I believe they have a "lifetime warranty"...buy two sets, run one set, pull 'em off, put on the other set, send a team member to the local Autozone to get a new set before you burn through set two :rofl:

Also, quick release pins to replace the c-clip pins on the calipers make pad changes faster.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Plus, learn how to be easy on your brakes.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Another idea for cheap cooling duct is 2-1/2" shop vac hose. Remove the backing plates (splash guards), bend the end of the hose to an oval so it aims more at the rotor hat, and tie wrap it to the bottom of the strut or on the a-arm. No need to have it attached to a duct on the spindle. That just adds wear to the hose making it turn with the wheels. Attached to the strut or a-arm it just has to go up and down with the suspension.

I've had mine on my Mustang like this for years with no breakage or problems.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts