Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that the vortech is a far superior blower and will make much more power. That's not exactly what I'm asking.

I have an 88gt aod and if i decide to keep it, I'm going to boost it. I already have the Paxton unit sitting in the garage and this car would be a daily, not a max effort build.

Here's what I want to know. The car would be a daily driver, but I would like for it to run in the 12's. I would also love to keep it speed density and I know that's possible with a check valve . I'm also planning on doing a simple gt40 topend. I would be selling my 96 Cobra to do what I want to the car, but don't want it to be slower than what I'm giving up . Lol. So basically this sums it up....

Paxton Sn2000 with gt40 topend = 12's?
Vortech S Trim, safe to stay speed density?
T
You guys think either would be reliable for daily driving?

Or screw it, keep the Cobra for daily duties and sell the fox?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
With the stock motor and a GT40 top end of day your looking at around 400 rwhp depending on the boost. That's more than the cobra for sure. I believe the cobra would be a better daily. I've had both. Sell the fox and the Paxton and get an S trim for the cobra. Awesome and reliable daily.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a Paxton sn2000 I got a great deal on that will be here this week. Going to dyno my fox with ported performer intake and then dyno it again after the Paxton is on.

Working on a tight budget but plan to put out about 6lbs with the Paxton and make a fun daily.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
With the stock motor and a GT40 top end of day your looking at around 400 rwhp depending on the boost. That's more than the cobra for sure. I believe the cobra would be a better daily. I've had both. Sell the fox and the Paxton and get an S trim for the cobra. Awesome and reliable daily.
Yeah, that's pretty much what everyone has said about the daily. Think I'm just looking for that one person to side with the fox. Lol I've wanted one forever, but mine still needs some work, even though I'm dailying it 150 per day st the moment. The little things that might annoy me aren't so bad I think because I know I have the Cobra to jump into. I definitely don't want to regret which one for the daily.

I'd love to s trim the Cobra, but I would be hard pressed to do it with the $3500 or so I would get for the fox. A nice, clean, quick fox would be a cool daily, but I don't want to be miserable at the same time if that makes sense. Lol

Thanks for the input man, it helps for sure. Especially since you have experience in both.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a Paxton sn2000 I got a great deal on that will be here this week. Going to dyno my fox with ported performer intake and then dyno it again after the Paxton is on.

Working on a tight budget but plan to put out about 6lbs with the Paxton and make a fun daily.

Keep me updated on this, I'm interested in the turn out and your thoughts . How long will it be before you put the blower on?

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Yeah, that's pretty much what everyone has said about the daily. Think I'm just looking for that one person to side with the fox. Lol I've wanted one forever, but mine still needs some work, even though I'm dailying it 150 per day st the moment. The little things that might annoy me aren't so bad I think because I know I have the Cobra to jump into. I definitely don't want to regret which one for the daily.

I'd love to s trim the Cobra, but I would be hard pressed to do it with the $3500 or so I would get for the fox. A nice, clean, quick fox would be a cool daily, but I don't want to be miserable at the same time if that makes sense. Lol

Thanks for the input man, it helps for sure. Especially since you have experience in both.
I had less than 3K into my S trim setup on my cobra. It really was great when I had it setup blow through. With that being said man if you've always wanted a fox then go for it. I sold my cobra because I wanted another fox and the parts are relatively cheap and the car is easy to work on. If you blow the 302 up just get another lol. They are everywhere. Don't get me wrong a 400 rwhp fox is going to be a fun street car. I semi daily my fox and with the right touches it isn't bad at all. My biggest complaint would be no cup holders but that's an easy fix.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How come everyone that says keep the Cobra also say they went back to a fox? Lol

Cupholders are an easy fix. I'm more worried about how good I could make it ride and find a remedy for the little console rattles when going over harsh bumps.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just got the Paxton today, going to open. It up tomorrow and go through it. Have to order a couple things, missing the tensioner bracket and hardware.
The local college has a dyno and I will be able to get on there early January to get baseline numbers before installing the Paxton. Hope to have it on shortly after and back on the dyno end of January to see what I gained.
I also got a quarterhorse to tune. I am going to leave everything stock except for I have typhoon upper and lower intake and exhaust. After j see what it makes on a complete stock set up I'll start playing with different injected set ups

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just got the Paxton today, going to open. It up tomorrow and go through it. Have to order a couple things, missing the tensioner bracket and hardware.
The local college has a dyno and I will be able to get on there early January to get baseline numbers before installing the Paxton. Hope to have it on shortly after and back on the dyno end of January to see what I gained.
I also got a quarterhorse to tune. I am going to leave everything stock except for I have typhoon upper and lower intake and exhaust. After j see what it makes on a complete stock set up I'll start playing with different injected set ups
Definitely keep me updated if you don't mind. It's so hard find good info on these old blowers because it just turns into a flame fest about these blowers being garbage. While they're not gonna put out monster numbers, I think they have they're place. Someone like me that's gonna daily it and would like to have a 12 second ride with a simple, economical head and intake.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
How come everyone that says keep the Cobra also say they went back to a fox? Lol

Cupholders are an easy fix. I'm more worried about how good I could make it ride and find a remedy for the little console rattles when going over harsh bumps.
Hahaha I get your point. I can only speak for myself. I spent 2 years doing a full bolt on Eaton swap. It took so long because I had a kid in between the time I started and finished. I drove the car for 6 months and I'm guessing popped a head gasket. I didn't have time to pull the motor and fix so I sold the car. I wanted something easier to work on and the parts are undeniably cheaper for a SBF for your basic bolt on stuff. Also the head gaskets can be changed with the motor in the car lol.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well here's your post in keeping with the foxbody it seems to me those who have had the foxbody regretted selling and or looking for another. The foxbody mustang isn't a sexy looking Lamborghini BUT they are a cute but humble looking car within themselves. I personally love them because they're easy-to-use and going and there in demand like there is no tomorrow. Yes it takes quite a bit of effort to make something out of it but in the end when you have a foxbody mustang sounding and breathing likes it the end of the world well that's good enough for me.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The "cheap and easy to work on" is what turns me on to the foxbody. And the fact I've always wanted one. My Cobra is super nice low mileage, but I'm if something happens to that 4v, it's more $$$ and more work. That cs4 is definitely nicer than my fox considering my fox is a "rescue " lol. However if I have $6-7k to put towards the fox, new suspension, new paint , push it over the 300hp mark, I think I could enjoy it as much as the cobra. I just need to know if it'll be reliable at that point and how we'll it could be made to ride.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Oh the fox can be reliable and the suspension can be good it only takes money. Good shocks and struts will do wonders. As far as reliable I've driven mine on a few 2+ hour trips. Just make sure if you have to replace any ignition components use genuine Motorcraft.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Isn't this my old Paxton kit that I sold you a few years ago??? And you still haven't put it on!!?? Lol
IMG_1361.jpg

Honestly I regret ever selling that Little ball drive unit lol my car was the most fun to drive when I had this combo in it, I had it on my stock block 331 with h/c/I and a tremec tko500 and 3:55 gear in the rear, with seeing only 3-4lbs of boost on the gauge (due to the added cubes and better flowing heads less restriction) it made around 370 or 380hp at the tire and just under 400ftlbs of torque on low reading mustang dyno. I ran it speed density with a megasquirt ecm and I could hop in the car and drive it anywhere and I know it was easily a low 12 second street car how it sat if not better. wish I would of taken it to the track to prove it.

But anyways I sold this unit to you and upgraded to an old school s trim(that's when my problems started and $$$$ started pouring out of my ass lol) at 9lbs made around 450-460 at the tire and then split my stock block:frown2:. So I ended up going dart block and using the same Eagle 331 stroker kit out of my stock block and same heads and intake and swapped in a better cam, upped the boost to 12-13lbs and swapped in a th400 tranny and I'm now making 570-580hp at the tires and basically a high 9 second street car capability just need to actually run a good full pass, ran a [email protected] with shutting the run down early. Now my car is still streetable, but no where near as streetable and no where near as fun as it was to drive around when I had the old Paxton on it.

You will never make big power with the old ball drive units, that's not what there made for, it's made for the fun little "stockish" street cruiser with a little bit of grunt. Plus personally I think they have such a cool whine/whistle to them if I were you I would slap this on your fox and with your gt40 top end setup you will have one fun ass daily driver/street car. Foxbodys will always be the best bang for your buck hotrod. Easy to work on and parts are always fairly cheap.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Also ditch the inlet corrugated tubing and get a upr powerpipe, less restriction and cooler air coming in. My brother just put a Paxton sn93 on his 306 trickflow top end kit. And with the powerpipe he seen 1 more lb of boost over the stock corrugated tubing. Gives the engine bay a cleaner look too.

20170325_132927.jpg

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Lol, yep same kit. Still in the box you sent it in. Lol This is just been a little car I've tinkered with off and on. Now I've started tinkering back with it and even daily driving it since my Cobra's throw out bearing almost exploded.

I'm trying to decide on keeping the little fox and slapping a gt40 topend and the Paxton on and hope for a high 12 or low 13 second daily. Id also like to keep the stock speed density, but feedback has been all over the place with that. I was hoping the gt40 topend and Paxton would be good for the 300rwhp range, but I don't know with the AOD. Im just not sure if I can fool the stock computer enough with a fmu and fpr.

I would defintitely like to throw a power pipe on it so it doesn't look like I have some dryer duct work in the engine bay. Lol

·
Registered
272 Posts
Lol, yep same kit. Still in the box you sent it in. Lol This is just been a little car I've tinkered with off and on. Now I've started tinkering back with it and even daily driving it since my Cobra's throw out bearing almost exploded.

I'm trying to decide on keeping the little fox and slapping a gt40 topend and the Paxton on and hope for a high 12 or low 13 second daily. Id also like to keep the stock speed density, but feedback has been all over the place with that. I was hoping the gt40 topend and Paxton would be good for the 300rwhp range, but I don't know with the AOD. Im just not sure if I can fool the stock computer enough with a fmu and fpr.

I would defintitely like to throw a power pipe on it so it doesn't look like I have some dryer duct work in the engine bay. Lol
I know your trying to do everything as cheap as possible but if you keep the fox I would just buy a used mass air setup and throw it on and have a chip burned for your setup and you will be much happier that you went mass air and way less headaches!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts