Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wrapped up the Hot Rod Power Tour! 3000 miles and the only failure was the parking brake handle on my IRS swapped notchback broke. It was a stock fox body parking brake handle, modded to work with the rear discs. I remember reading that you can put in the SN95 handle, but I can't rember where, ot if it was plug and play or not. Anybody have any info on this? Foxes are nonexistant in local junk yards, but SN95s are pretty common, and I need to go snag a underhood fuse block from one for my car.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
596 Posts
I am using a Cobra leather handle from a '94 in my '92 coupe. Direct bolt-in. Pretty sure 94-98 share the same bolt pattern as fox.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
The 94-98 Cobra handle is leather. I put one in my car with a redlinegoods.com boot. Looks great. But any 94-98 handle will work and they are pretty much identical to the fox handle other than a few minor differences. The 99+ handles have a different bolt pattern.

Ford had a recall a few years back on parking brakes slipping, so they came up with a small clip to lock the adjustment pawl. It's really cheap, so no need to weld the handles any more. The benefit is that you can remove it to adjust tension from inside the car if you use this method vs crawling under to adjust the threaded rod. This clip also works on the fox handles as well.

Part number: 1R3Z-2A753-BA

https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/sn95-parking-brake-no-need-to-weld-handle.900665/

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
Oooh, that's a good piece of info about that little clip! Thanks for sharing that!

·
Registered
790 Posts
Interesting. Anyone know if the swap works for 86 and under foxes?

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Judging by photos only, it does not appear that the 79-86 handles would be compatible.

EDIT: disregard. I think i am misinterpreting the question

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
The 86 and earlier e-brake handles mount in the center of the hump whereas the later handles are off-set. The 86 and earlier use a threaded J-hook to adjust the cable tension. Not certain what the 87-92 uses but the 93 is different. I used the SVO version which is just a leather cover over the stock handle. A bit larger grip than the sn95, but works well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ford had a recall a few years back on parking brakes slipping, so they came up with a small clip to lock the adjustment pawl.[/B] It's really cheap, so no need to weld the handles any more. The benefit is that you can remove it to adjust tension from inside the car if you use this method vs crawling under to adjust the threaded rod. This clip also works on the fox handles as well.

Part number: 1R3Z-2A753-BA
I realize this is an older thread, but I've been looking and this is the closest I've found to an answer for my question.

Mustang5L5, Does the lockout clip render the SN95 auto adjustment inoperable? Am I interpreting correctly when I say you must remove the clip to readjust an SN95 parking brake setup?

I vaguely remember the recall on my 95' GT or 98' Cobra back in the day for this. Don't remember details.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Yes. With the clip installed it will not auto adjust. Take the clip off pull the emergency brake up one time push it down and reinstall the clip.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Yes. With the clip installed it will not auto adjust. Take the clip off pull the emergency brake up one time push it down and reinstall the clip.
Correct. This vid might clarify it a bit as well by giving a visual.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts