Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I brought a used turbo kit and I'm wondering if I can sandblast and paint my turbo unit. It looks like crap now and everything under my hood is gonna be painted or polished.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
I wouldnt sand blast. Pull the exhaust housing off, and scuff with a scotch brite and then paint. That sand gets in every hole whether you want it to or not. Bad idea for a turbo.

·
Premium Member
2,913 Posts
Your turbo probably gets hotter than my T Trim blower but I spin it at max 55k or so. I wire brushed it, scotch brighted it, sprayed it down with carb cleaner, painted it with a high temp etching primer and then painted flat black. Believe it was all Rustoleum high temp paint good to 2000* so they claim. It is holding up well and simple to touch up if the accidentally hit it with a wrench or something, like right now when I am changing lim gasket. I wanted it to look presentable but be easy to take care of, as well as economical. I had everything polished on my last motor and just too expensive and high maitenance.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info guys. I'll scuff and paint the exhaust housing with high temp gray ( the same color I painted my engine and headers). I know it may burn off but I don't plan on diving the car that much so I'm hoping it will last a while.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Or turbo blankets look good to.

Frozenboost.com has some decent prices.

·
Registered
337 Posts
We put a temp gauge on a hot turbo, read 700 degrees and they get hotter. Better find some good paint!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts