Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all got my h pipe from pacesetter on Friday, tried to install it Saturday and the left side doesn't fit the exhaust manifold. Has anyone ran into this issue? Is there a possibility that a 98 manifold is different from a 96 or 97? I removed the engine from an sn95 but don't remember what year it was. The car still had egr all hooked up when I pulled it so I don't think it has had the manifold replaced with something else.... any ideas?

It also doesn't line up with the manifold it like it needs some type of drop on the manifold to hook up correctly.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is the exhaust manifold I have or had on the car, just removed it so I can verify against other manifolds that it is correct.

·
Registered
87 Mustang Gt 400hp Holley Terminator
191 Posts
It does look that far off.. I assume it’s still disconnected from the cat back? Have you tried using a pry bar and getting both sides started by hand than alternating sides while tightening them? You get what you for with pacesetter they are not good at all.

·
Registered
299 Posts
98 is the same as 96 and 97 at the header. 98 has different hangers for the tailpipes.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have no cat back at the moment, this car is made of multiple parts. The body itself is a 79 mustang. There is no way I can use a prybar to get that flange on its roughly half an inch off.

At the time of order they were the only one I found that sold a catted h or x pipe.

·
Registered
87 Mustang Gt 400hp Holley Terminator
191 Posts
Sounds like a lot is really going on so let me get this right you have. 79 mustang with a 96-98 4.6 engine? Trying to install a 96-98 h Pipe. That open up conversion for an entire different set of issue what K member is in the vehicle are you sure the motor is sitting in there straight? Sounds like a nightmare. Why would you not just put a 5.0 in it?

·
Registered
269 Posts
99-04 GTs have a shorter distance between the ball studs on the driver side manifold.
I think Pacesetter sent you the 99-04 GT h-pipe.
Go to the Pacesetter website and look at the 99-04 and 96-98 GT h-pipes. Your pic of of the socket flange looks like the 99-04 flange.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds like a lot is really going on so let me get this right you have. 79 mustang with a 96-98 4.6 engine? Trying to install a 96-98 h Pipe. That open up conversion for an entire different set of issue what K member is in the vehicle are you sure the motor is sitting in there straight? Sounds like a nightmare. Why would you not just put a 5.0 in it?
Because I like to be different, a 4.6 2v sounds so amazing, a 5.0 stock block won't handle my power goals. What does the angle of the engine have to do with a flange fitting properly?
99-04 GTs have a shorter distance between the ball studs on the driver side manifold.
I think Pacesetter sent you the 99-04 GT h-pipe.
Go to the Pacesetter website and look at the 99-04 and 96-98 GT h-pipes. Your pic of of the socket flange looks like the 99-04 flange.
That's the response that I was looking for, going to go and check that out now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts