Ford Mustang Forums banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
US Army Retired
5,314 Posts
boy, oh boy... talking about eating a slice of humble pie... i ate the whole thing! after doing a little more investigating of the Stinger PiMP system, i decided to give it a try when i was in the market for a standalone again, and i have to say, so far im VERY impressed. i have actually apologized to Shannon for my passive-aggressive responses in this thread and he was gracious enough to not only accept it, but he sold me a PiMP and has been nothing but helpful since... ive said it before that i was very satisfied with my MS2PNP, i foresee that i will be very happy with the PiMP as well.
Why the switch from the pnp to the pimp?

I like them both and chose the MSPNP2. I thinks its a matter of splitting hairs. I liked the inj driver method gor the pnp a little better and the pimp required some work to work on a 94-95 gt.

·
Registered
7,019 Posts
Why the switch from the pnp to the pimp?

I like them both and chose the MSPNP2. I thinks its a matter of splitting hairs. I liked the inj driver method gor the pnp a little better and the pimp required some work to work on a 94-95 gt.
the combo in my car changed several time in the past year and along the way i ended up selling the MS with the wideband and all the supporting parts, so i didnt actually make a direct change from MS to PiMP. i wanted the MSPNP2 but didnt have the cash and one evening while i was cruising the stinger site, i found a post where shannon mentioned they had financing (essentially using the paypal pay it later) and i qualified, so the order went in.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
The PiMP is pretty much the same as my unit, DIYPNPF60. Both use the same Microsquirt Module.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Thanks for the update boostedcoupe.

Yes, they both use the Microsquirt module, as is widely known and stated in their descriptions. That doesn't make them the same though. Note there are two boards and both are responsible for the operation, feature set, etc. Just because one of the two boards is the same doesn't mean both options are the same, or even similar (though in this case, I would agree that they are similar from an intended end-goal standpoint). There are other factors that can differentiate a product as well such as documentation, support methods, etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I joined this forum ONLY to add my two cents. I have 1990 mustang 408 stroker. I am good a wrenching , can solder and trace install a few wires here and there (probably selling myself short) Point is I am NOT an electronic expert. I am using an A9L and was considering an upgrade. With that, I have a desire to throw my MSD distributor off the closest bridge, because I think they are garbage. I want to go to a DIS ignition system.

I sent both Stinger and MS a detailed email , asking for their advise. What should I buy? will it be compatible with DIS ignition? If so, what do I need to buy to accomplish that? Buy a driver, the MS guy said...that's it....not even a part number. LOL

I got fairly brief , generic, passifying emails from both, that were not nearly detailed and specific enough for me to pull out my credit card. Am I asking for too much?

Would have been nice if somebody said "yes, our product will do what you are trying to accomplish. This is what you need, and this is why and how it will work"

Lacking customer service and support , in my opinion. Megasquirt way moreso than Stinger tho. The Stinger guy was more detailed in his answer, just failed to address the DIS portion of my project.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Stingers Tech support via the message board is amazing! I believe I got the first production unit to go in a V8 many years ago and now have 3 PiMP units in 3 different cars and they are all awesome. I'd reconsider the PiMP for sure. It can do DIS and there are many threads on the board for support. Both WesK and Stinger are responsive and helpful. WesK even makes a CAS system for basically PnP DIS (almost plug n play anyway)

I think maybe they are too close to all of it so perhaps some questions are second nature to them and they just give a quick reply w/o realizing the person on the other end may be a bit clueless. I remember when I was first getting started I was asking so many questions - even when it may have seemed obvious to them I wasn't getting it and pressed on and they were very patient with me and helped me get through the questions I had.

Again I'd reconsider a PiMP unit...it's amazing and so is their message board support.

Mike

I joined this forum ONLY to add my two cents. I have 1990 mustang 408 stroker. I am good a wrenching , can solder and trace install a few wires here and there (probably selling myself short) Point is I am NOT an electronic expert. I am using an A9L and was considering an upgrade. With that, I have a desire to throw my MSD distributor off the closest bridge, because I think they are garbage. I want to go to a DIS ignition system.

I sent both Stinger and MS a detailed email , asking for their advise. What should I buy? will it be compatible with DIS ignition? If so, what do I need to buy to accomplish that? Buy a driver, the MS guy said...that's it....not even a part number. LOL

I got fairly brief , generic, passifying emails from both, that were not nearly detailed and specific enough for me to pull out my credit card. Am I asking for too much?

Would have been nice if somebody said "yes, our product will do what you are trying to accomplish. This is what you need, and this is why and how it will work"

Lacking customer service and support , in my opinion. Megasquirt way moreso than Stinger tho. The Stinger guy was more detailed in his answer, just failed to address the DIS portion of my project.

·
Registered
3 Posts
thanks Mike,

I have an awesome tuner/dyno guy. His biggest warning to me were a couple of things. Make sure the trigger wheel is absolutely true, if we go that way, all the way up to max RPM. So I don't know where to find the best trigger wheel and how to mount. He warns they can be very unforgiving at high RPM, if there aren't correct and true. Also to find the most compatible computer that will either work with EDIS, or preferably, a more integral method, (which Megasquirt offers, but doesn't feel like telling me about)

I realize that Stinger and MS are not ultimately responsibe for other conversions I am trying to accomplish, but just a comfirmation from them, with some specific details on how and why there system will work for me would have sold me.

I will have to do some more research on the DIS converstion, but first I wanted to choose a computer, and when that failed, I deserted the project.

thx again.

·
Registered
657 Posts
thanks Mike,

I have an awesome tuner/dyno guy. His biggest warning to me were a couple of things. Make sure the trigger wheel is absolutely true, if we go that way, all the way up to max RPM. So I don't know where to find the best trigger wheel and how to mount. He warns they can be very unforgiving at high RPM, if there aren't correct and true. Also to find the most compatible computer that will either work with EDIS, or preferably, a more integral method, (which Megasquirt offers, but doesn't feel like telling me about)

I realize that Stinger and MS are not ultimately responsibe for other conversions I am trying to accomplish, but just a comfirmation from them, with some specific details on how and why there system will work for me would have sold me.

I will have to do some more research on the DIS converstion, but first I wanted to choose a computer, and when that failed, I deserted the project.

thx again.
Talk to Wesk on Stingers board - his CAS system uses the stock distributor as the trigger wheel AND cam sync. While I'm still using a distributor (msd junk too) - DIS is next on my list of to-do's! Good luck!

Check out the write-up I did on the original PiMP - this is back in 2011! lol Nothing DIS related just general info
News & Tech - | Capri and Mustang News & Technical articles by Mike Martinelli Jr - aka n20capri

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
There are a lot of different ways to do DIS. Did you have something specific in mind?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Sorry to hear our email wasn't as detailed as you were hoping. When multiple questions are asked in an email we try to answer all of them to some degree but it does occasionally happen that we miss one, in which case you'd have to ask us about that particular missed topic a second time.

With that said, our support forum is where the most detailed information is provided as that's where our paid tech support individuals are at your service. Certainly if you tell us you don't have a clue where to start we'll get you the info requested at the level of detail you need, even if you have to ask followup questions to get there.

Since there are multiple ways to do a DIS conversion (using multiple different parts), it's typically a matter of us providing you with possible options and the pros/cons of them if there is a substantial difference to factor into things, and you making the final call on which parts you ultimately want to use, and then we help you with wiring and software settings to get up and running once you have the parts in your hands or installed.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Just to offer my 2 cents. I have a new pimp xs that I am currently work on doing a DIS conversion. They have been very helpful on the boards getting me the info that I need. I am not the best when it comes to wiring and computers but so far everything is has gone smooth. I haven't worked on car for a few months but do have a small build thread on stingers forums. Mostly me asking questions but could help out a little

·
Registered
751 Posts
I was also told by someone at DIY that i could add nitrous control to my MS2 board down the line, and when i called to try and get it done, they informed me that there was no good way to add nitrous control to the MS2 board and i would be better off just buying MS3 if i was going that route. Seems like everytime i talked to them on the phone, i got a different answer.
I know this post is 4 years old but this was already bumped so..

Not sure if there is a difference between a ms2pnp vs the ms2 d.i.y. kit but I have the kit and run full nitrous control through it..

Here is the D.y.i guys walking me through it..
http://forums.corral.net/forums/megasquirt/1415141-pwm-nitrous-control.html

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Digging this back up

What is the difference between the MSPNP and the Pimpxs?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Digging this back up

What is the difference between the MSPNP and the Pimpxs?
PiMPxs is MS3 based vs MS2 based for the PNP so that means PiMPxs is Sequential vs batch fire, Onboard SD card datalogging or logging to a laptop/phone/tablet vs external logging device only, traction control vs not, more programmable I/O's, ability to add coil on plug setup with a plug and play harness, and hundreds of other differences. Since MS3 is the newer version compared to MS2, every setting/feature that exists in MS2 is updated/improved/more capable in MS3, plus there are a bunch that don't exist in MS2 at all. Plus, PiMPxs has much better base tunes for your application (instead of a single tune for all applications) and better support.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
I thought about upgrading to the Stinger PiMPxs, but the DIYPNPF60 does all I need it to do. The DIYPNP didn't fit in the factory location, but I actually like it better mounted below the glove box. If I were to buy today, there would be no question in choosing the PiMPxs.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I just upgraded to PIMP from DIY will let you now how it goes but its a no brainer.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Just in the last week i have installed a PIMPxs into my Vortech Mark 7. I'm using the MAF to tune it, despite a complete lack of support from just about everywhere, and I've maybe got an hour into fiddling with the tune and setup after an easy as heck install. The car is idling and driving better than ever with 60# injectors. I've got the tune nailed with no boost driving. the base startup tune they provided started the car first time and their setup instructions were extremely easyto follow. I'm a big fan so far!

41 - 58 of 58 Posts