Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there differences between them besides their packaging? Do they both have all the same features?

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
isnt pimp microsquirt though?

·
Registered
7,019 Posts

·
Registered
7,019 Posts
im not taking anything away from stinger and PIMP, obviously they buy their componets from DIYautotune... but, personally, i would rather get mine from the source. my $.02.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Stinger Performance Plug-in Microsquirt Powered (PiMP) engine control unit is the most user-friendly and capable plug and play option available for Ford EEC-IV equipped vehicles.

Not doubting you just trying to get as much information before I buy anything.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So all the same features? low and high impedence injectors?

·
Registered
747 Posts
Stinger Performance Plug-in Microsquirt Powered (PiMP) engine control unit is the most user-friendly and capable plug and play option available for Ford EEC-IV equipped vehicles.

Not doubting you just trying to get as much information before I buy anything.
just wondering how you came to this conclusion? Not trying to argue. Just wondering if this is from your own experience or from their ad?

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That was copied and pasted off of stingers website.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was just highlighting where it mentioned microsquirt instead of megasquirt.

·
Registered
7,019 Posts
i saw where they mention micro in the first paragraph... the third paragraph says it based on megasquirt technology???????????

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So all the same capabilities? I believe I am going with a megasquirt PNP anyway. No more paying tuners for each change

·
Registered
244 Posts
im not taking anything away from stinger and PIMP, obviously they buy their componets from DIYautotune... but, personally, i would rather get mine from the source. my $.02.
Please do not act as if you know about our product when it's clear you do not. This is the second time you've improperly answered questions about our product. The only thing "obvious" is that you don't know anything about our product but choose to act as if you do. You don't even know the relationship between MegaSquirt and MicroSquirt and rather than figuring it out, you state we must have a type on our website.

I'd just like to clarify that while the PiMP is MicroSquirt (MS2) based, it is most certainly not an "assembled DIY kit". We buy not a single component from DIY for our ECU's. We get the MicroSquirt modules directly from B&G (the white board) and the green board is custom made for use (our logo is on the board) and they are assembled with all surface mount components by Stinger Performance.

Not only are they all surface mount just like factory ecu's (unlike the DIY kits), they also have internal jumpers that can be plugged into different locations for different options without any soldering. This also allows the same ecu to work in nearly any 83-94 Ford without any soldering. Just move a few jumpers to swap it from a 2.3 to a 5.0 for example. Of course having this in the factory case also allows it to fit in the stock location in the stock hanger and plug into the factory harness.

Regarding the original post:
While they do share some features, we have additional features beyond what DIY offers (see the paragraph above for some of them).

It will control both high and low impedance injectors for 4 cylinders, or high impedance for v8's.

·
Registered
7,019 Posts
Please do not act as if you know about our product when it's clear you do not. This is the second time you've improperly answered questions about our product. The only thing "obvious" is that you don't know anything about our product but choose to act as if you do. You don't even know the relationship between MegaSquirt and MicroSquirt and rather than figuring it out, you state we must have a type on our website.

I'd just like to clarify that while the PiMP is MicroSquirt (MS2) based, it is most certainly not an "assembled DIY kit". We buy not a single component from DIY for our ECU's. We get the MicroSquirt modules directly from B&G (the white board) and the green board is custom made for use (our logo is on the board) and they are assembled with all surface mount components by Stinger Performance.

Not only are they all surface mount just like factory ecu's (unlike the DIY kits), they also have internal jumpers that can be plugged into different locations for different options without any soldering. This also allows the same ecu to work in nearly any 83-94 Ford without any soldering. Just move a few jumpers to swap it from a 2.3 to a 5.0 for example. Of course having this in the factory case also allows it to fit in the stock location in the stock hanger and plug into the factory harness.

Regarding the original post:
While they do share some features, we have additional features beyond what DIY offers (see the paragraph above for some of them).

It will control both high and low impedance injectors for 4 cylinders, or high impedance for v8's.
first off, let me publicly apologize to stinger for the misinformation, i was speaking about what i could surmize from their website.

secondly, let me thank the stinger rep for clearing this up after more than 2 months... :shakehead where have you been buddy!? if you would have let me know i was wrong about your product after the first time you mentioned, this second time may not have happened. you have to admit, everything known about the PIMP system leads to the same conclusion i reached.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I'm sure the PIMP is a great product, I've known the designer Wes Kiser for many years now and he's a great guy, super sharp, and we have alot of respect for one another. Assassin is correct they purchase the uS Modules through B&G directly and not through us so we don't see a dime from PIMP ECU sales.

To clear up the misinformation for thru-hole versus SMD, while it's true our DIYPNP units use through-hole components so the home assembler can solder them up easily-- the MSPNP Gen2's use surface mount components however. In reality that's more about mass-manufacturing and has a very small effect on durability, though there is some small benefit to SMD. We do it for that reason and also to maximize efficiency in manufacturing. It doesn't always cost less, but it's easier and consistent.

As for low versus high impedance injectors I'm not sure what the PIMP uses, (VND's I think?) though I can speak to the MSPNP Gen2 which uses true Peak-N-Hold circuitry to peak open the injectors at 4 amps, and hold them at 1 amp to prevent overheating the injectors. Peak-N-Hold capability also maximizes injector performance by minimizing injector opening/dead times as compared to some of the other methods we could have chosen to use.

We considered using VND's which we do use on some other products, but have found that while they work very well for high impedance injectors, and can in some limited cases work with low-z injectors, they don't work well for low impedance injectors in many cases. The problem is that they max out at 5amps and current limit which causes heat to be generated, a little heat can be dissipated through a well designed heatsink- but many low-z injectors will generate a LOT of heat in this circuit and can cause problems. Based on ohm's law (google an ohm's law calculator, it's easy to do this math) they 'should' work fine for an injector that's 2.7 ohms or higher assuming 13.2v in the charging system. Anything under 2.7 ohms will try to drive the transistor harder than 5amps which will current limit the transistor and begin to generate heat, and if they get hot enough they will not function properly, usually after the car is nice and warm and you're in the middle of a dyno session or race and seem to have an 'intermittent problem' that doesn't occur when the car is cold, which makes sense as it takes a few minutes to overheat the VNDs and start causing the problem.

We had this happen recently on a customer's Miata that was using a DIYPNP (which uses VND's) and prepping for the SOLO Nationals, they were having problems when tuning that was causing the injectors to drop out, they thought it was an ignition problem, but when we heard what injectors they were using we determined they were simply using the wrong ECU for the injectors they had. (They could have used a resistor pack or external PnH box to solve the problem). As time was tight, we got them setup with an MSPNP Gen2 for their car and the internal PnH circuit immediately solved their problem.

The MSPNP Gen2 also has a very slick analog knock control circuit that's tunable. It's not as slick as the digital knock circuit we've got available for MS3 now, but it works in much the same way just using analog circuitry to do so giving you the noise floor and knock frequency tuning without the windowing capability MS3 has. It also has a headphone jack allowing you to listen to the knock sensor when tuning using it as a set of detcans, which can be helpful when tuning. (knock sounds like a scratching or static-like noise when listening with detcans like this).

·
Registered
244 Posts
first off, let me publicly apologize to stinger for the misinformation, i was speaking about what i could surmize from their website.

secondly, let me thank the stinger rep for clearing this up after more than 2 months... :shakehead where have you been buddy!?
Thanks for the apology.

You can't seriously expect me to be on every Mustang forum on the internet every day or week, it's just impossible to do such a thing and still get work done here. As long as people don't make assumptions and post false information about things they don't know, it's not a huge problem as long as the information is available somewhere. A lack of information on a specific forum is better than misinformation.

The bottom line is, these questions are easily answered via email, on our PiMP specific forum, etc.

·
Registered
1 Posts
In general there is much confusion among those that aren't all super MS geeky as to what constitutes a megasquirt (this literally now means dozens of potential products).

In our advertising for the PiMP, when we say this is not an "assembled DIY kit," we mean specifically it is not a traditional MS2.2/3.0 board assembled by anyone, specifically in a custom fashion. It is not meant as a specific dig on the company DIY Autotune, which is a great company that has done much for the MS community. All of these units are to some extent "snowflakes," specifically built and customized for particular applications, and function/reliability frequently depended on how the assembler handled these interface customizations.

The PiMP board is a custom interface board for the microsquirt module (basically a surface mount assembled baby MS2), that support EEC IV applications very well in a PNP fashion. It fits in the factory location, and is capable of controlling 2.3t, 2.3, and 5.0 applications with no additional assembly on the part of the end user, with no modifications to switch between these applications (beyond configuring hardware jumpers). We only sell these units completely assembled, and they are a mix of SMT and through hold components. The only "off board" wire on the entire unit is for the communication interface.

DIY's MSPNP and MSPNP Gen2 units are also not traditional megasquirts. As "Foundsoul" pointed out, the Gen 2 units have a similar feature set to the PiMP, as well as 4 peak and hold injector drivers and a knock conditioning circuit. Our PiMP supports 4 cylinder low-z injectors, but does so via a small internal resistance. In practice we have had no issues obtaining acceptable performance with 95 lb low-z injectors, but we are not using a true peak and hold driver.

Which unit is better for you truly depends on your goals. What are your goals/needs, and for what application? By this I don't mean performance goals. More critical to answer this question is what ignition system, what features do you want to use, where do you want to mount it, sequential or batch, etc.....

·
Registered
7,019 Posts
Thanks for the apology.

You can't seriously expect me to be on every Mustang forum on the internet every day or week, it's just impossible to do such a thing and still get work done here. As long as people don't make assumptions and post false information about things they don't know, it's not a huge problem as long as the information is available somewhere. A lack of information on a specific forum is better than misinformation.

The bottom line is, these questions are easily answered via email, on our PiMP specific forum, etc.
no problem, i can admit when im wrong. i dont seriously expect anything from you. im not going to get into a debate with you about your product, i chose MS because i found the reps, knowledgable, and readily available right here on the forum where i spend the majority of my time, (and a response never went more than a day, let alone two months) they have proven to me that i made the right descision. im glad business is good for you and you dont have the time to watch "all the mustang forums on the net"... to the O.P. asking "P.I.M.P. vs DIY megasquirt"... you have your answer here, it seems they have corrected me about their product and it only took 2 months since they are busy... if you want good customer support, i can say from MY PERSONAL experience, i would NEVER stray from matt and jerry at DIYAutotune... theyve got my back, and will have yours...

im out!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts