Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello every one. I have a huge issue with my ECC 20 amp fuse popping. I have traced this electrical issue for 2 days and have finally found it... Electrical issues can be a pain in the butt to find. However I will get to the point.

There is a 4 point connection that comes from the engine harness and then connects to the 02 sensor connection. The 4 point connection has been severed to a point that if they make contact, it blows the 20 amp ecc fuse. What is the best way to go about correcting this issue?

- Using electrical tape seems to be out of the question
- Cutting the connection off and attempt to repair it
- Replace the full connection all the way up the harness

If cutting it off is the way to go, would any one be willing to provide instructions on the best way.

The car is a 1995 3.8 base model Mustang coupe.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update -

I have went and got a new connector for the drivers side down stream sensor, however there is a problem. The new connector has 4 wires that are black, black /w white strip, pink and green /w red strip. However my harness is indicating black, red and yellow.

I have searched round for the colors in order to match then up but I have came up onerously short. All I have found is that the two blacks on the new connector are both ground, that leaves the question, do I connect both too the ground wire on the harness?

What are the pink and green /w red strips wire go too?

Again:

Harness: Red, Yellow and black
Connector: Pink /w yellow, Green /w Red Stripe, Black and black /w White stripe

Any help would be grateful

·
Registered
23,216 Posts
you have

1 heater power
2 heater ground
3 sensor ground
4 signal

you need to id them on your harness side, with wiring diagram, then locate them on the connector to align with your 02 sensor connector.

your 02 sensor will have two same colored wires, those are heater power and ground, easy, just id the other two.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the information. So with what you are saying. the two ground wires (Black and black /w white stripe), I can twist them around and connect both of them to the single ground connection on the harness and then I would have to found the other two wires, correct?

·
Registered
23,216 Posts
no

sensor ground and heater ground need separate circuits, like factory

there is a reason for separate wires.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
no

sensor ground and heater ground need separate circuits, like factory

there is a reason for separate wires.
indy: It sounds like he has a new O2 connector with four wires, but his harness (car side) has only three.

Recful: Is this correct?

When I have a chance to go out to the garage, I'll see if I can find anything definitive in the CD manual. (64-bit Win 7 in my office won't run the old Ford CD's.) :rolleyes:

Andy

·
Registered
23,216 Posts
'95 3.8L

should have 4-wire up and downstream sensors, and harness

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The you guys for the information and the diagram is very helpful. Please note that I am a complete noob when it comes to electrical, so if I sound stupid, I am just simply attempting to understand.

Trickvert: Have a new connector: Yes and yes with the wiring harness.

I have received a copy of the manual and this will clear the color coding up, however I have attached pictures of the manual and the connector harness.

Attachments

·
Registered
23,216 Posts
that does not help you

you see the "NCA" no color associated

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dang, this is becoming fustrating

If it helps. The connector is a BWD Part # PT5525

·
Registered
23,216 Posts
that number means nothing to me,

is that some universal 02 sensor?

or was that from ford?

there is only 4 wires, I already told you what two must be, the other two should be easy. a 02 sensor makes its own voltage, hit it with some propane and watch a voltage be made out of thin air......

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
that does not help you

you see the "NCA" no color associated
That actually will help him if he has the old connector and can match up the old pinout to the new.

Reckful: According to the wiring diagram you posted, there should be four wires in the body harness, not three (unless the fourth wire takes off on its own). As Indy mentioned earlier, you need to look at the existing connector wiring and determine which wire goes to which pin, then match that up to your new connector.

How about a pic of the current harness and factory connector?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
- No it is not a universal connector

- No it's not from ford, it's made from BWD

- I understand that there must be two wires of the same, I understand that. However the problem lies within which one goes to which as the colors do not match, also I do not want to fry my computer with the wrong connection.

As you have stated and I have seen but over looked is the NCA. I know this might be stupid but would that indicate that either wire could go to either or or this is indicated as there is no NCA as it depends on the plug?

TrickVert I will have pictures uploaded shortly

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
"NCA" is likely shown because different (replacement) O2 sensors may have different wire colors, or they may be enclosed in a sheath and not visible at all. Are you trying to replace the connector on the O2 sensor itself? Regardless, you had to cut a connector off, right? That connector, though, you say had only three wires?

If you *do* have four wires on the cut connector, Don't worry so much about wire colors, just be concerned about which wire goes to which pin on the old connector, then match that up to the new one. You have a multimeter, I assume?

If you actually have only three wires, then I'm not sure what to say. Pics of the factory connector with cut wires, and the harness minus the connector might help to show what you're working with.

Andy

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here is the old connection.

I have ripped the top off the old connector and I see the following

- Red Wire
- Pink (I believe)
- Two Black

Why this is so hard is do to the fact that the connector was damaged really badly to the point that the harness (Shroud) was burnt off, so I am playing doctor.

I will have pictures of the harness tomorrow but I have cut it all the way back to the point that it splits into the oil pressure relay plugin.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
Here is the old connection.

I have ripped the top off the old connector and I see the following

- Red Wire
- Pink (I believe)
- Two Black

Why this is so hard is do to the fact that the connector was damaged really badly to the point that the harness (Shroud) was burnt off, so I am playing doctor.

I will have pictures of the harness tomorrow but I have cut it all the way back to the point that it splits into the oil pressure relay plugin.
I see why you're a bit befuddled. Those colors don't match up with anything. All you can really do is match pin location to wire as I mentioned above. Another - potentially better/simpler - option might be to hit a U-pull-n-pay, and cut off a factory connector and pigtail (?).

Andy

P.S. One of those "black" wires in the connector probably had a stripe at one point. What's at the harness end?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you TrickVert. When I get the picture of the harness tomorrow, I will upload them here. However I have taken a picture of both the old and new connector(s) side by side.

I have also cross referenced the BWD connector (New one) 6-8 times and all the information has came back as this connector does go with the car.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
It does appear that the connector is the correct one, but since it's a generic piece made for multiple applications, the wire colors (as you've found) typically don't match the factory scheme. This wouldn't be an issue if yours wasn't so damaged. It's too bad you didn't/couldn't trace then back to recognizable colors before it was removed.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It does appear that the connector is the correct one, but since it's a generic piece made for multiple applications, the wire colors (as you've found) typically don't match the factory scheme. This wouldn't be an issue if yours wasn't so damaged. It's too bad you didn't/couldn't trace then back to recognizable colors before it was removed.
Yes, it has been very difficult. I will be making a trip too the pick a part in my area in order to pull a connector off in order to either use it or to attempt to match the new one up.

I will report back once I have visited the salvage yard as will as have the pictures of the main harness. *Hard to take pictures when it's dark :wink2:*

1 - 20 of 31 Posts