Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are having some boosting problems with my 93 cobra. I called On3 and he said to put in the smaller red spring only for 6 psi and it's still flashing to 12psi at least. I have no weaker springs to out in and I'm looking for 5-9 psi for now. The wastegate does seem to have opened at some point because there is a light amount of exhaust in the wastegate dump pipe.

Anyone have any suggestions ?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Im wondering, can you just run the small yellow spring alone?
Thats the smallest in my kit

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was wondering that too. I'll call him today.
It doesn't help that the little description sheet doesn't even match up with the springs that they sent me!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok On3 said the soft spring is too weak and will boost creep and are only for in combination.He said to run the big stiff blue spring alone for 6 psi? Sounds strange but I'll try it out

·
Registered
259 Posts
Pull the wastegate and pressure check the top and bottom side. Mine kept spiking 19 psi on my new motor. They said they would fix it and when it came back it leaked worse. Ended up going with a synapse and it fixed the problem.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Your not the first person to get boost creep with an on3 kit. Only thing I can tell you is to get a better wastegate. If it creeps on the soft spring then more than likely it's gonna creep with the large spring. Be careful because that's risky if your engine won't handle a large spike in boost

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The kit was purchased New a few months ago so I assume the newest generation.
The wastegate is on the hotparts on the passenger side

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
From the turbo housing fitting to the side port on WG like on3 advised .
I'm hopin the spring swap this evening fixes it

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alright after many spring swaps and tests we found out the wastegate is just leaking internally.

This On3 wastegate apears to be a fake Tial F46 so I can buy kne of those for 450$ :-/ and should be a direct swap.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So obviously people have called in about same problem and even sent there wastrgates back to On3 and when I called On3 this morning he said "no I've never herd of anyone having that problem"

·
Registered
459 Posts
We are having some boosting problems with my 93 cobra. I called On3 and he said to put in the smaller red spring only for 6 psi and it's still flashing to 12psi at least. I have no weaker springs to out in and I'm looking for 5-9 psi for now. The wastegate does seem to have opened at some point because there is a light amount of exhaust in the wastegate dump pipe.

Anyone have any suggestions ?
If you do a search you will see that you are not the only person that has had this issue. Firemanwill had the same problem as did I. Is your motor stock? Do you have aftemarket heads, cam, intake?? If so the Tial46 may or may not fix your problem. I went with a Tial 40 and still saw 8psi with a 4 pound spring. I twinned two Tial mvs 38mm gates on my crossover and now I can easily hold 5psi and and crank up the boost knob on my manual for more boost. I had the same exact problem. I tried everything... dedicated boost source, tapping the turbo housing, all different springs, pressure tested my ON3 gate, everything. If you are moving more air with your H/C/I combo than a stock motor and are planning on upgrades motor wise in the future, then do yourself a favor and add a second gate. 38s twinned move more than enough exhaust flow and are good up to 800+ HP. Talk to [email protected] He is a corral member and will get you a good deal. Best deal I found anywhere. Just my .02

Oh and I almost forgot.. find a good shop or someone you trust that does tig welding for the stainless flanges.. this is important if you dont know how to do it yourself. Ask me how I know, I blew a $300 wastegate off may car at 50mph. Needless to say there was only one salvageable part...the spring :curses:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts