·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my car: 98 GT
drag rear suspension/lowering springs/3.73 gears/4v swap/

friends car: 04 Cobra
stock as a rock

he wants a solid axle and is willing/asking to trade me the IRS for my solid with aftermarket "drag" type control arms(I already have them on the car)

opinions on what should be done to the irs before hoisting it up under my car?

exhaust will be dealt with as he is wanting to do mufflers at the time of the swap and i have 3" all the way out the back that i wont be using anymore.

the flanges will need swapped (differnt size ujoints on the 03-04)

am i nuts for being excited to swap in a heavier, more complex suspension, that eats more power?

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
Straight up trade? DO IT. You'll want to at least improve the bushings, and if you lower it, you'll want to install and carefully set a rear bumpsteer kit. You'll also want to look into some diff coolers if you'll be spending a lot of time on road courses, IMHO. The IRS units run a lot hotter thanks to the exhaust proximity and the lack of axle tubes to provide heat sink and cooling area for more fluid.

·
Registered
29 Posts
You should think about a billetflow rear cover brace or stronger cover. With out it you will at best leak and at worst shatter the cover.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Straight up trade? DO IT. You'll want to at least improve the bushings, and if you lower it, you'll want to install and carefully set a rear bumpsteer kit. You'll also want to look into some diff coolers if you'll be spending a lot of time on road courses, IMHO. The IRS units run a lot hotter thanks to the exhaust proximity and the lack of axle tubes to provide heat sink and cooling area for more fluid.
pretty much a straight up trade - Im rebuilding the trac loc for him and might be puttin bearings in while im there just because he is a friend ;)

I dont really see lowering much beyond 1" and Ill look into the booshiings thanks!

so far I keep seeing solid bushings for the center section...

You should think about a billetflow rear cover brace or stronger cover. With out it you will at best leak and at worst shatter the cover.
it only has 300 hp - so far

·
Registered
287 Posts
DO IT. i just traded my 100% stock 03 rear and some eibach drag springs for a 03 cobra irs with a billetflow diff cover. the car handles SO much better. I did it because I like road courses.

you will need (2) precission 448 u-joints. Here is the link I used when I did the swap a month ago.

don't forget you will gain 1 5/16" per side of axle width.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
actually i will swap companion flanges so i wont need to do the oddball joint.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Of if you prefer better parts, go here:
To spend almost $300 more for parts that don't have anti-wear coatings that I can't grease! :eek: Better?!?! :rolleyes: I don't think so! :cool:

Three friends of mine wore out MM UCA Delrin bushings in two tracking seasons. They've now upgraded to the good stuff!;)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Mr Cameron,

I'm not going to take the bait.

Anyone who wants to know the truth of the situation here is welcome to contact MM directly.
Jack:

I like a VAST majority of MM parts. I recommend your front suspension and FLSFC's to everyone I talk to about 'fixing' their Mustang. But you've simply been surpassed with ALL of your IRS fixes.

If MM made a Delrin IRS bushing kit back in '03 when I was shopping for one, I'd probably NEVER be in the business selling these kits today.

FWIW

:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts