Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brief explanation: my car actually has a 5.0 and 5 speed swap on it, but it was a pretty hack job from previous owner. Also, it will always carry the 4cyl VIN with it.

At the time I picked it up fairly cheap IMO, but it seems like they won't be coming down in price anytime soon. Especially for the coupes/notches.
I had originally wanted a V8 coupe, but those have definitely gone up in prices over the past few years. Seems like the pickings are only getting slimmer.

Kind of reaching the point where there's not much time to work on the fox body, and thus losing interest. I've always wanted a coupe, so I don't know if it would be better to sell now and just buy another later, or hold on to what I currently have.

Just wanted to get some different opinions on whether you all think a 4cyl coupe is worth hanging on to? What's the market looking like in your area?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Personally, I would never buy a swap car. Like you describe yours, the vast majority are hack jobs. Sure they run, but the cruise doesn't work, no A/C, etc.

If the swap is done correctly, I don't think there is much value difference. I mean, the only people that care about what is was originally are collectors. And unless you have a car that is bone stock, a collector won't be looking at it anyway.

It is gettting harder to find these cars with a stock block, not to mention "numbers matching".

If your car is solid, I would stick with it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Personally, I would never buy a swap car. Like you describe yours, the vast majority are hack jobs. Sure they run, but the cruise doesn't work, no A/C, etc.

If the swap is done correctly, I don't think there is much value difference. I mean, the only people that care about what is was originally are collectors. And unless you have a car that is bone stock, a collector won't be looking at it anyway.

It is gettting harder to find these cars with a stock block, not to mention "numbers matching".

If your car is solid, I would stick with it.
Spot on! Definitely learned my lesson on buying somebody else's 'work', would just prefer to do things my way and make sure they were done right.
I guess I just jumped on it since price seemed good at the time, but probably could've waited and paid a little more to have less headaches at times.

The car runs and drives. Body is solid, no rust, etc. Interior is all there. Currently, just not where I want it to be. I do like that I have been able to learn a good amount of things, so it has been a roller coaster for sure. Sounds like patience would pay off here.

Appreciate your input!

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
If you have proper storage to tuck it away till interest and/or time allows you to get back into it, keep it. If "storage" is parking it out in the back of the yard with a tarp over it, sell it.

Coupes, V8 or 4 bangers, will always have a market place slightly above all others in similar condition. Prices will be on the rise as cars that are decent are becoming more and more hard to find at reasonable prices.

Ford made a ton of these cars, but ton of them got beaten to death and used up. I've looked at many cars that were junk or not far from junk in the last 3 or 4 years in my neck of the woods.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you have proper storage to tuck it away till interest and/or time allows you to get back into it, keep it. If "storage" is parking it out in the back of the yard with a tarp over it, sell it.

Coupes, V8 or 4 bangers, will always have a market place slightly above all others in similar condition. Prices will be on the rise as cars that are decent are becoming more and more hard to find at reasonable prices.

Ford made a ton of these cars, but ton of them got beaten to death and used up. I've looked at many cars that were junk or not far from junk in the last 3 or 4 years in my neck of the woods.
Good point you make there about storage. I think that's what has recently been nagging at me to either sell or do something with it.

Recently bought some land and have been gathering money and materials to build a small garage/shop out there. Reason for slower progress and tighter budget for the fox body.
I think once I have the storage built I wouldn't mind sitting on it, but if it's going to be wasting away in the elements no reason to keep it.

And yea, fair condition coupes sell for way more than a good condition GT, or similar around here. It definitely is getting harder to find anything in good condition without a hefty price tag. It's crazy.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
You could slip it into a storage unit. Just don't forget to pay the bill and get it auctioned out from under you. I had a storage unit big enough for a car that was like $150/month. If you are building proper storage on the new land, it may be an option other than selling. plus you can put some other stuff in with it.

·
Registered
267 Posts
You could slip it into a storage unit. Just don't forget to pay the bill and get it auctioned out from under you. I had a storage unit big enough for a car that was like $150/month. If you are building proper storage on the new land, it may be an option other than selling. plus you can put some other stuff in with it.
God damn, around here you could rent a place with a garage and two roommates lol for that portion of the monthly rent.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll have to look into this if the progress of the storage unit is slower than I would like it to be. Haven't asked around, but I would figure it would be something reasonable like this for people to keep them in business.

Really would prefer to keep and store like you mentioned, because I know I'll probably regret selling it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
God damn, around here you could rent a place with a garage and two roommates lol for that portion of the monthly rent.
Need to move where you are! Ha.

Around here, rent for ONE room is typically in the $400-$750 range.
Entire houses range from about $1200-$1500.

I guess people like Austin? Not sure why.

·
Registered
684 Posts
People like Austin because its a good place for them to escape/spread their misery to.

If you have a house with an attached garage, I will just about guarantee you will finish your car. Mine has been an absolute basket case,nightmare and I am still sorting it out. This car is still rough but I can't just walk by it and do nothing each day. Just a little here and a little there when I have time. I got this car as a completely rust free but F'd over roller that was someone's dumbass carburetor project. They cut out wires, cut out rear seat belts but left the reels, drilled holes, pounded the piss out of the shifter hole to make room for an auto and then screwed in a wooden plank to mount the shifter on! I could go on forever. The dumb stuff is by no means completely eradicated but will be. I bought a beat up GT with a good running motor and many other parts.

Attached garage with all my tools/beer ready really makes all the difference.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
People like Austin because its a good place for them to escape/spread their misery to.

If you have a house with an attached garage, I will just about guarantee you will finish your car. Mine has been an absolute basket case,nightmare and I am still sorting it out. This car is still rough but I can't just walk by it and do nothing each day. Just a little here and a little there when I have time. I got this car as a completely rust free but F'd over roller that was someone's dumbass carburetor project. They cut out wires, cut out rear seat belts but left the reels, drilled holes, pounded the piss out of the shifter hole to make room for an auto and then screwed in a wooden plank to mount the shifter on! I could go on forever. The dumb stuff is by no means completely eradicated but will be. I bought a beat up GT with a good running motor and many other parts.

Attached garage with all my tools/beer ready really makes all the difference.
Haha. The hostility toward the non-native 'Austinites' around here is pretty entertaining at times.

I can see what you mean there. It almost seems like you're describing my car. Electrical has been a nightmare on mine, and I have way more WTF moments than I probably should have in a given hour when working on it. Mine is fairly complete, so it does just need some cleaning up on the previous installs and work for the most part. Finding time to work on it is a little challenging with work and other obligations, but I'm sure keeping it and finishing it out at this point would probably be my best option.

Sounds like I just need to get that garage going sooner than later.

Appreciate all the input!

·
Registered
841 Posts
I'm actually glad I started with a 4cyl. The car wasn't beat to ####, the interior was a bit haggared, but the chassis was straight and it wasn't a 25 year old muscle car that was hacked on by Lord only knows how many people who thought they knew how to wrench. Not that there wasn't some cobbled up wiring, it was still a 25 year old car. I wouldn't have gone as deep into making the engine pretty had I started with a V8.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
I spent too much time in/around the Austin/Round Rock area when I was younger. There and a lot of other places. Went back in '14 for a month. Personally, maybe I've grow'd up or maybe I just got spoiled, but I hated being there in the big city. DFW, I go there a couple times a year for 4 days at a time and absolutely despise it. I like the laid back atmosphere and neither of those two towns has any of it unless you're farther out of town. Stuff is more expensive, faster paced, ain't nothing I like about it.

Thoroughly enjoy "most" of where I live, unfortunately I have too many neighbors too close to me. One is 1/4 mile to my northeast and the other 3/8 mile to my southwest. Can't even go outside & pee without knowing that they're close enough to watch. A move may be in order at some point.

Fox coupe? I have an original '93 coupe, 4 cylinder 5 speed, needs paint. Engine swapped. Swapped in a 2.3 out of an SVO, FMIC, etc. Not a hack job but not quite factory nice either but at least I have spent enough time to make everything work, right down to the functional cruise control. I've had it on the market for a while and yes I'm asking too much but those enthusiasts whom I've spoken to have all told me the same thing....don't come off the price, they're almost impossible to find. I have never seen another coupe in this area. One convertible and several hatches (like 3 and one was a '86 GT) but never another coupe. Or course part of that is locale.....nobody here cares about old cars, it's more about who can spend the most money and/or go into the most debt. The neighbor guy has 3 Ferraris if that tells you anything. I think he's working on a 4th or maybe trading one for a newer one. And he actually drives all 3 of them, almost daily. But a fox body? Turns up his nose. Fine with me. I like them especially the little 4 banger. Cheap transportation & zero debt. Maybe someone will run into it at some point and I'll collect & buy something nicer.

·
Registered
8,334 Posts
What's the market looking like in your area?
In my neck of the woods (New England), pretty much most of the foxes riding around have some various form of car cancer on them. The only ones spared this were usually seldom driven garage queens which usually then translate to $10K asking prices. It's pretty much to the point where any For Sale ad on the local forums includes pictures of both shock towers, or soon gets a request for some.

A clean, rust-free 4cyl coupe roller would still pull in pretty damn good money up here. $2-3K just for a roller. Of course everything is more expensive up here. I briefly kept my car in a storage unit for $350/month, and a 2BR apartment rents for $2500/month.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Around here where the cost of living is pretty reasonable, a single car size storage unit would be every bit of $100 a month. At that rate, it wouldn't take long to spend more on the unit than the car is worth. I look at it the same way if it is sitting in your garage. The floor space is worth X. Is it worth it to be just sitting around or would it be better to just buy another when you are ready?

·
Registered
848 Posts
If body and interior is in good shape then absolutely worth something.

If it’s another old faded paint car with ragged out interior not worth much.

Unless I had a car to transfer everything too if I was starting from scratch I’d get a V8 car upfront too many things to buy when converting stuff.

Seems a lot of guys use 4cyl roller as the base for their drag cars.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts