Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just curious, finally installed my 3" exhaust over the open 3" downpipe by the trans. wow, sounds so much better than before before.

how much power loss would you estimate versus open down pipe? i did add a 3" cutout after the downpipe too.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Single or dual 3"?
What kind of mufflers?
Open and close the cutout if you don't feel any difference than its probably minimal 10-20hp.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Rob - if you get a chance, take a few pics of the setup.

I'm currently running the 3'' y-pipe I had QT make - into 2 3'' pipes then they neck down into 2 1/2'' Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers with 2 1/2'' tails.

I'm considering either a single 3'' all the way back or replacing the mufflers and tails with 3'' units. I want the car as quiet as possible.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Rob - if you get a chance, take a few pics of the setup.

I'm currently running the 3'' y-pipe I had QT make - into 2 3'' pipes then they neck down into 2 1/2'' Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers with 2 1/2'' tails.

I'm considering either a single 3'' all the way back or replacing the mufflers and tails with 3'' units. I want the car as quiet as possible.
Sorry off Topic

How would you rate your current set up compared to open downpipe? I want to shut mine up.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Sorry off Topic

How would you rate your current set up compared to open downpipe? I want to shut mine up.
Wife and I tried the open downpipe and it lasted all of about 1 hour - simply impossible to hold a conversation in the car and I wouldn't last 1 day on the road with it being that loud.

I like the car now - it's fairly quiet and unassuming - I actually want it even quieter.

Can't even hear it against this 'cuda
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/1096-D42-82608_179526.htm

Almost can't hear it here either
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/1084-D42-82608_179527.htm

·
Registered
70 Posts
rob,

I think with added 3" pipe to the current down pipe and the muffler added at the very end, the power loss will be very minimal if any at all. I do not think you will see any difference in the E.T. I am curious to find out what actually happens. Let us know if you try it out.

Steve

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
will do once it cools down. i'll tru both closed and with cutout.

hopefully new trans or restall my converter so i can 60 like everybody else. 1200 footbrake is not doing it.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
will do once it cools down. i'll tru both closed and with cutout.

hopefully new trans or restall my converter so i can 60 like everybody else. 1200 footbrake is not doing it.
Rob save yourself the agony of trying to get good 60's and pick up a Mallory 685 box with the built in 2Step - BEST investment i've made so far. With my converter being so tight I can only footbrake to around 1700 but on the 2Step set at 2500 it's a completely different animal. Went from mid 1.7's to high 1.5's just like that.

Next outing - after the torque box reinforcements - i'm going to see if the brakes will hold at 3000rpm and see what happens.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Can someone give me some ideas of how to hook up the exhaust to the DP or post some pics. I have a B&G with the 3.5 DP. I was almost thinking of running a single back to my tailpipes and splitting it there...?

With as much as I've had the DP off I want something that disconnects from the DP pretty quick. Are you guys using clamps or what?

·
Registered
594 Posts
On my quicktime kit from the 3" DP I have a V-band going into a 3 - 3.5" cone adapter. Then it is 3.5" back to a Borla XR1 muffler and dumped at the axle. I love the setup!!! My friend owns a performance shop and he fabbed everything up for me.

·
Registered
522 Posts
10-4, I see that the qt kit has the dp in two pieces. Do you guys slide the piece that ends up under the car up from the bottom, or down through the top? I have to slide my entire dp down from the top and it is tight at 3.5". I guess I can chop mine in half so that I can slip the end with the new vband flange on up from the bottom if I have to take the entire dp out.

·
Registered
594 Posts
10-4, I see that the qt kit has the dp in two pieces. Do you guys slide the piece that ends up under the car up from the bottom, or down through the top? I have to slide my entire dp down from the top and it is tight at 3.5". I guess I can chop mine in half so that I can slip the end with the new vband flange on up from the bottom if I have to take the entire dp out.
Yeah, it is a 2 piece DP. He designed it that way so you can take out the section connected to the turbo for easy spark plug access. That way you don't have to disconnect it under the car from the rest of the exhaust. And you put both sections in from above. It is a really nice setup.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts