Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last time at the track i was only getting a one wheel burnout,how much effect will this have on my et ?seems like its time for a rear end rebuild

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
Last time at the track i was only getting a one wheel burnout,how much effect will this have on my et ?seems like its time for a rear end rebuild
Ford normally stacks the rear end clutches with a bias away from power to the right wheel. They do this because the right wheel has a tendency to lift and lose traction especially when turning right, so it makes it better on the street.

It also limits positraction to when the tires have some reasonable grip. The stacking method they use delays lock up for higher tire friction, so it doesn't lock well with wet tires.

If you want to stop the one wheel peal when the tires are wet, you have to restack the friction clutches and steels in the posi unit. Look at it and put a steel against every friction surface, and try to pack an extra clutch or steel in if it is loose. Always keep a steel against a friction surface.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've had the trak lok since 2004 and it has held up pretty well with lots of passes at the track. Since i have a new one in the box i will just replaced it

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
I've had the trak lok since 2004 and it has held up pretty well with lots of passes at the track. Since i have a new one in the box i will just replaced it
You'll still need to go through the process of stacking up the new clutches. A lot of people use the stacking method TomR mentioned, it will make the diff tighter and last longer between rebuilds.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys but the question is how would it affect my times and also I'm getting a retune in a couple days so would my horsepower be affected

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
Thanks guys but the question is how would it affect my times and also I'm getting a retune in a couple days so would my horsepower be affected
If your car is hooking both tires evenly, restacking will not affect ET or power.

If the car has any more wheel spin on the right tire than on the left, restacking will speed the car up.

Ford stacks the frictions and steels "funny" because it is a street car. The right rear tire already has a tendency to lift and lose weight, so they intentionally starve that tire for power. This helps prevent fishtailing if the driver is turning sharp corners under power.

I've been restacking clutches every time I have ever had a rear end apart since 1983. I've yet to find a problem.

IMO, it is foolish to NOT restack.

·
Registered
676 Posts
^^^^ To confirm what Tom said, this winter I did a Strange package of 33 spine race axles (full induction hardened), c clip elims, and a lightweight race spool. My trac lock was getting tired, and doing occasional one wheel burn outs. 60's were creeping up from 1.54's to 1.58's and 9's. Time to go.

At the track, I saw no significant improvement in 60', still bests of 1.54, but very very consistent. All 1.54's. Also, definitely hits harder on launch and able to run a little higher air pressure in the Hoosiers and still hook hard. Picks the front wheels up about 3" more than before. The spool/higher tire pressure I believe were worth half a tenth and an extra mph in the traps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts