Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I ordered my on3 FF turbo kit last week and should be getting it this week or maybe next week at the latest. Can't wait to receive the kit!!! I figured I would go ahead and make a thread for it and I will be posting pics of install and giving my personal feed back of the kit. I will have Carolina chassis dyno do the hot side because they will be welding on new V bands. Should be fun!

·
Registered
223 Posts
I don't what model (302, 281 etc) Mustang this is going on ... but save yourself all the headaches and swearing and cursing abouttrying to get rid of exhaust leaks.

After buying these 2 months ago I have ZERO leaks and I drive the car like 150-200 miles a week. There is no need to be one of the "ON3 Victims". I absolutely LOVE my kit now that there are no leaks, makes great power, looks good and was an easy install.

The ON3 VBand CLAMPS are garbage! No need to replace the rings as well ... just the clamps fixed mine. (Replace ALL the ON3 clamps)
2.5" V-Band Clamp - Flanges & Gaskets - Turbochargers

I got these gaskets for the hell of it to help seal.
V-band Sealing Gasket, 2.5" - 034Motorsport | Performance Parts for Audi, Porsche, and Volkswagen

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I don't what model (302, 281 etc) Mustang this is going on ... but save yourself all the headaches and swearing and cursing abouttrying to get rid of exhaust leaks.

After buying these 2 months ago I have ZERO leaks and I drive the car like 150-200 miles a week. There is no need to be one of the "ON3 Victims". I absolutely LOVE my kit now that there are no leaks, makes great power, looks good and was an easy install.

The ON3 VBand CLAMPS are garbage! No need to replace the rings as well ... just the clamps fixed mine. (Replace ALL the ON3 clamps)

V-band Sealing Gasket, 2.5" - 034Motorsport | Performance Parts for Audi, Porsche, and Volkswagen

Lol, this is true but he did say he was welding on new v bands...usually you buy the v bands and clamps together I thought.

I also have the RPS clamps and OBX gaskets for a few months now and still no leaks.

Ran [email protected] 132 mph the other night and in the 10s many times on 20 psi with no issues with them blowing out or anything

·
Registered
456 Posts

I did the same, tossed the claamps and got to gaskets. Went with a 78MM turbonetics turbo. I wish I would have gotten the 4 inch intercoler.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ordered the kit from jegs. I figured if anything was missing or defective they would make it right. The kit is going on my 03 mach 1 with stock block. sold my D1SC to chase my turbo dreams. I didn't upgrade anything on the kit just went with the standard 70mm and wastegates. With me being on a stock motor I figured i would upgrade the turbo with the motor next year (if it last that long lol). My tuner has installed acouple on3 kits now and said it is best to go ahead and put new v bands on that way you know there won't be any leaks. Hope to make 500 @ the wheels and since I don't drive the car that much I hope it last till tax time next year. My D1SC made 509 @ 11lbs so hopefully the turbo can do the same with alot more mid range torq and power.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I ordered the kit from jegs. I figured if anything was missing or defective they would make it right. The kit is going on my 03 mach 1 with stock block. sold my D1SC to chase my turbo dreams. I didn't upgrade anything on the kit just went with the standard 70mm and wastegates. With me being on a stock motor I figured i would upgrade the turbo with the motor next year (if it last that long lol). My tuner has installed acouple on3 kits now and said it is best to go ahead and put new v bands on that way you know there won't be any leaks. Hope to make 500 @ the wheels and since I don't drive the car that much I hope it last till tax time next year. My D1SC made 509 @ 11lbs so hopefully the turbo can do the same with alot more mid range torq and power.
Lol, stock motor huh.

But yea, with the turbo you should make way more mid range power and torque than the supercharger. 500 rwhp will feel a lot faster with the turbo

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lol, stock motor huh.

But yea, with the turbo you should make way more mid range power and torque than the supercharger. 500 rwhp will feel a lot faster with the turbo
thats what i was thinking. it should be faster even though the hp numbers may be close to the same. yes the motor will be a ticking time bomb!!! hopefuly since it has low mileage on it it will hold up with a safe tune. it did fine with the procharger lol.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Hope to make 500 @ the wheels and since I don't drive the car that much I hope it last till tax time next year. My D1SC made 509 @ 11lbs so hopefully the turbo can do the same with alot more mid range torq and power.
I am running the base 70mm Turbo as well and making 650whp through a 2V ... so it won't be a restriction anytime soon!

Also, 509whp through a Supercharger is alot harder on the engine than 509whp through a Turbo. It takes like 60-70HP just to spin the blower. So while making the same power ... the engine itself is making less power and should in theory have a bit more durability than your SC.

Also, since you have a 4V .. it's TQ that breaks the motors, not HP. So while alot of 2V 4.6L break around 430whp -ish ... they're prolly making just as much TQ as your 500hp 4V.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so the install was pretty easy? i have done just about everything to my mustangs over the years and was kind of unsure if i wanted to tackle this project. cant wait to get it here and get started.
jkolbfeisch you are pushing the 70mm to 20lbs? i would love to do thaf next year with a built bottom end and make near the hp @ the wheels

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Hey just I FYI I also am running on3 base 70mm turbo. I put 7000miles plus on it @ 10psi Then the oil seal blew. I did some searching and I rebuilt it for 32 bucks. I put new oil seals in and new journal bearings. It turned out perfect. No more leaks. So they can be rebuilt fairly easy. Just have to mark everything before u tear it apart(balancing). Im very happy with it. I'm running 8-9 lbs now on my new short block. And plan to run 18 psi or so once I get it retuned. I'm shooting for 550-600rwhp

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ran by the house before heading to the inlaws for dinner and on the front porch was 3 big boxes. didnt get a chance to open them and go threw them yet. cant wait to get home!!!!! i will post pics tomorrow.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well opened up the kit and everything is there. The quality seems to be pretty good just looking at the hot side! overall I'm happy so far and really happy it only took a week to receive the kit. Here are a couple quick pics I took with my phone.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
how many are running 42# injectors and how many went to 60# I'm thinking with a 331 might need to step up to 60's

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I decided that I was going to let my buddy travis at carolina chassis dyno do the install. he has done these kits before and said he should have it done in acouple days. All I have to do is drop it of and pick it back up tuned and ready to go. this will be different for me as I usually do all my own work but with a 9 month old time is not something I have alot of. I drop it off next monday and hope to have some numbers for yall by next friday.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
I didnt wrap mine yet the shop that installed mine said to get a few miles on it so it can burn off some of the oil...coating that is on it..etc...so i will do it soon...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts