Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone on here using the y pipe and dual exhaust? I have an h-pipe and was wondering if i could keep using it? if anybody has any pics that would help too.thanks

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
The Y pipe replaces the H pipe and connects to your cat back. I have it on one of my turbo cars, the other has a custom 3" single so no Y pipe necessary.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh.i just have headers,h-pipe into flows.so it will got to the start of the flows?
sorry for the stupid questions.boost stuff is all new to me.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
oh.i just have headers,h-pipe into flows.so it will got to the start of the flows?
sorry for the stupid questions.boost stuff is all new to me.
Yes. You can sell your headers and your h pipe. The on3 y pipe will connect the turbo down pipe to your existing exhaust just like your H pipe did. No cutting no welding just unbolt your H pipe and bolt in the Y pipe. It is the easiest part of the install.

·
Registered
525 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
no more than it is now, thats how the hellion setups are.
Does it run like a 2 piece down pipe? otherwise you could never feed a down pipe attached to a full exhaust up next to the motor by yourself. Attaching the vband to the dp on the turbo is easy. then going under and doing one more on the y-pipe sounds easy enough. I run an open down pipe so I really wouldn't know.

·
Registered
239 Posts
the on3 is 3 pieces not including the downpipe, each look to be about a foot long. Looks like one of those intakes ricers piece together at autozone. There is no reason it couldnt be once piece, that would at least get it down to 3 places to leak instead of 5

·
Registered
939 Posts
Ive been tosing around how to complete my exhust also.I have came up with the idea of caping one side of my x pipe i had for my L/T's and then adding a piece of pipe off my DP and connecing it to my xpipe.Wouldnt this work fine?So i would have my DP connected to my x pipe then onto the cat back.Or i will just run 3 1/2" pipe from my DP to my cat back and do my own y pipe.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I doubt it would be ghetto?I weld for a living and would have all the ends properly made.The only ghetto would be the fact the one side would be capped off,and since it would be welded and cleanned up all would be good.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Thats what i was refering to, i too weld for a living and i wasnt saying that you cannot weld but that having one side of the H-Pipe capped off would be.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Sell your mid pip, less weight, more money. A connection on another forum did it and it worked fine. The car ran 10.20s at 127 with a hci combo on the stock block with the on 3 kit.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Thats my next choice.I will buy some pipe and make my own Ypipe.

·
Registered
393 Posts
the on3 is 3 pieces not including the downpipe, each look to be about a foot long. Looks like one of those intakes ricers piece together at autozone. There is no reason it couldnt be once piece, that would at least get it down to 3 places to leak instead of 5
From personal experience with the ON3 y-pipe its great and the fact that its 3 pieces is even better. When i first installed the kit i was running a T-5 and stock cross member. Now I am using a T-56 and that crazy looking D&D cross member. So in order to clear the new cross member I had to adjust the three sections of pipe to fit it. The very first piece in the y-pipe, the one that connects to the down pipe, the one end of its V-band connection the flange is welded on a slight angle to allow it to position differently depending how you rotate it when you connect to the down pipe giving you more clearance where you need it. I really am glad to have bought the ON3 y-pipe instead of making one, changing transmissions and having to make a new one. As far as leaking, just throw some copper seal on the V-band connections and your good to go.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I have the On3 kit on both of my cars. One has the On3 Y pipe the other has a custom single 3" exhaust. Guess which cost more? The single custom 3# exhaust. It is also lower and louder with an annoying resonance. I will be selling it and replacing it with the On3 y pipe soon.

The reason the On3 y pipe is a three piece design is so you can adjust it to fit your car. No 2 cars will fit the same way because of differences in motor mount heights etc. With the On3 three peice you can adjust it by "clocking" each individual part as the ends are welded on at a slight angle. This allows for infinite adjustment.

Neither my On3 3 piece nor my custom single downpipe has ever leaked. I use a thin smear of permatex copper on all of my hotside connections and have had no leaks ever. It seems like everything else on my car leaks but the turbo kit!

Unless you are a professional welder with the equipment to build your own exhaust I would recommend the On3 Y pipe for the fit and for the price.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2000 Mustang y-pipe repair help

All, I have a 2000 Mustang with a rattle, I had it checked out and was told the y-pipe was loose/had a whole and was making the noise. It wasn't affecting the performance and was just an anoyance. I just want to get it repaired. I was told I had to replace the entire y-pipe, with Cat, that they were all one piece and I couldn't just replace the y-pipe. When asked if the y-pipe could be repaired, I was told the whole was "too close" to the cat to be welded. Any ideas here guys?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts