Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building my first stock block 306 , stock turned .010 polished crank, rebuilt rods, and .030 DSS forged alum slugs, tfs 170 heads,

what would be a good cam, that would drive really good for dd, and be good with the On3 turbo kit,when I want to punch it on up,, in my 88 GT

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts
Did you switch to a Maf setup?

Sent from my PI86100 using Board Express

·
Premium Member
4,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've got the same set up in my sig still, I've got the car all tore apart, adding a team-z k, and relocating the battery to the rear.

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts
Sorry the stupid App on my phone doesn't let me see that stuff. Later I'll look on a PC.

But let's assume you do have a Maf. I would only do 1 of 2 things when boosting a stock block. #1. Leave stock Cam in it, it will make enough power to split block, and drive just like stock. Or #2, you want it to drive real well, and want that lumpy idle, and the power band to be a little higher. Get the ford F-cam for $200. That cam loves boost, drives well, and is cheap. No sence spending good money on a stock block. Keep it below 6kRPM too.

·
Premium Member
4,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry the stupid App on my phone doesn't let me see that stuff. Later I'll look on a PC.

But let's assume you do have a Maf. I would only do 1 of 2 things when boosting a stock block. #1. Leave stock Cam in it, it will make enough power to split block, and drive just like stock. Or #2, you want it to drive real well, and want that lumpy idle, and the power band to be a little higher. Get the ford F-cam for $200. That cam loves boost, drives well, and is cheap. No sence spending good money on a stock block. Keep it below 6kRPM too.

hey 89Blackgtvert , sorry didnt know you couldnt see, I've got a 75mm pro-m with 24 # inj, and a HighFlow 255 intank pump.

I've got the stock air box, is that meter going to work?

·
Premium Member
4,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Stock block = stock cam for turbo.
I had my TFS 1 in it, and went and traded for a XE274HR form a guy on here, but most of the builds I find when searching, here and google, are 351 w based builds, people say it's ok for a 306 build, but I'm thinking its a little big for my build.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I vote stock cam like has already been said. It's a proven turbo friendly cam, a lot of people speak highly of the stock cam in turbo applications. That's what I'll be running.

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts
hey 89Blackgtvert , sorry didnt know you couldnt see, I've got a 75mm pro-m with 24 # inj, and a HighFlow 255 intank pump.

I've got the stock air box, is that meter going to work?
Yes that meter will be fine. The injectors wont be big enough, you will need 42's at least, but most go 60's. The fuel pump will be iffy, depending on what your goal is? How much HP you aiming for?

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts
Oh and please don't apologize you didn't know. I should have said it to begins with, that I couldn't see your signature.

·
Premium Member
4,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No prob, thanks for the advice,,

Hp goals, not to much, I'm building my own, first time, short block, nothing too Wild,,

I had an 03 Cobra, had about 12 grand in it extra, a KB 2.4 super-charger, 4:10 gear, Man that thing Ran its Butt off,, Tim @ Modular PowerHouse In Canton Ga. built it for me,on the street tune it put down 571/581 , and 599 RWHP on the race tune, ole tim tryed a few times, to break 600, just was a little short,,LOL, man it was fast, would easy whoop the z-06 of the day..

but this is my first time building the short block, prob 400 RWHP would be great, the Cobra originally, with the stock charger, and a pulley an tune, from Higgins Ford performance, put down about 451 rwhp, and on the freeway, I pulled a brand new Viper one guy in it,, and I had fat boy in the front seat, an a little guy in the back, with the top down,,, LOL

so that 450rwhp goal would be cool, an I've got dirtydirtys moates chip[ in it, with an A9L , think thats a good goal?

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts
Man I bet that cobra rolled man. I had a guy who worked for me, who had a misticchrome one, with full bolt ons and a porter blower and a tune and had 490 whp, and it was fast.

Your goal is a great one. It also will be VERY easy man. You have a great setup so far. So since this is your first time building a 5.0. Couple FYI's. The stock block doesn't like going over 500whp. Even with great internals what happens is the block actually splits. So your 400-450 goal is perfect. Just don't rev it past 6k. So to make that much HP with the On3, if you got the standard turbo 70mm, you will only need like 10-12 PSI with your setup, you will need 60lbs injectors some guys do it with 42's. Since you already have a 255 pump, you will probably need to add a T-rex, or replace it with 340 pump. Its great you have a chip a tune at this level is a must. Also something I learned use all the stock ignition system, expect for the coil, you don't need a fancy dizzy or MSD. Stock cam will be great. Also what trans you running? Also the on3 kit is great but just couple pointers. Don't use the provided header gaskets, I learned hard way :'(. Use some copper spray on the exhaust joints and make sure to re-tighten after couple heat cycles. If your down pipe leaks later let me know I have a trick.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Stock cam here very happy with the results and the way car performs...

·
Premium Member
4,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My93 Gt , our set-ups about the same, I'll need the injectors, bigger fuel pump, have you got an idea of how much power your making at what boost level. through an auto also,,,sounds Good

Thanks QuickTime, I've made my mind up to go with the F cam , I just put my XE274HR up for sale this AM.

89BlackGtvert , I'm going to put it together first, and add the kit after I get it running, hopefully by summer I'll be adding the kit,, I have the access door in the hatch, so swapping out the pump is simple, I'd be glad with the 450RWHP mark. with some weight reduction, it'd be pretty fast,,

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Just shy of 500 rwhp with 14 psi.with a snow performance stage 2 meth kit...on a very very safe tune....thru an AOD...

·
Premium Member
4,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just shy of 500 rwhp with 14 psi.with a snow performance stage 2 meth kit...on a very very safe tune....thru an AOD...

WOW!! Thats Great, through an AOD Too!! that meth kit must really help, Thanks for the info

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
WOW!! Thats Great, through an AOD Too!! that meth kit must really help, Thanks for the info
The Meth kit is great to have it really is a big safety...you can run alot more boost you can up the timing..it was a good investment...

·
Premium Member
4,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
you dont have a video of it at idle, or driving it,

I'm liking the thump a little, I'm thinking maybe an F cam for the lope.?

·
Registered
444 Posts
using the tfs1 cam with tfs topend kit stockblock 16pounds on3 76mm kit
fms extender for tune locked timing at 20deg
340pump and 60lb injectors 72lbs of fuel pressure at idle afr 11:0 on 91pump
c4 3kstall 327s 28x10.5 et street
have 383 on engine stand on stand buy been there 2years waiting for the block to split lol

1 - 20 of 30 Posts