Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today i was just doing some routine checking and someone said i should check the nut on the inlet side on the turbo its an On3 70mm .68 a/r turbo there are no marks on the inlet no oil but there is some play is that normal...i have it on the car now about a yr and pretty much daily drive it everyday...Is there anyway to tighten up the impeller or is the little play it has normal?...thanks...

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How does that work?...the play i feel is i think side to side a little...like i said there is no damage on the housing at all..do they have this little play...it might have had it since new i just never took a look until someone mentioned to check it....

·
Registered
448 Posts
As long as the impeller doesn't hit you'll be fine. remember journal bearing turbos will have more play because they have to have some clearance for the oil to get in there. i have no idea what the spec is but i would imagine .020" would be the outside limit of acceptable max. my mp has some play as well.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info i took the Air filter off and the blade looks like new...no marks in the housing at all..The housng in dry as a bone..it has a little play side to side but doesnt hit anything...so i will keep an eye on it and go from there,,Still making 14 psi tho...lol...

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ive got the parts list and instructions when your ready to rebuild it
Nah i will just buy a better turbo when it comes time....Is it hard to re-build tho?

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's shockingly easy to rebuild a journal bearing turbo.
Ok cool when should i look into re-building it is there any signs that its Time?..i mean seems to be performing very well.no leaks,just that little play i felt...Oh yeah my turbo is quiet no whistle from it..lol...

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
minimal journal play is fine(side to side) once oil gets in there that goes away. ( as mentioned above). you should have NO Thrust play. (in and out). also very easy to rebuild them. i have already rebuild my on3 turbo. parts were under 20 bucks.

·
Registered
180 Posts
minimal journal play is fine(side to side) once oil gets in there that goes away. ( as mentioned above). you should have NO Thrust play. (in and out). also very easy to rebuild them. i have already rebuild my on3 turbo. parts were under 20 bucks.
Where did you get the parts to rebuild it? I tried searching before with no luck.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
here's what I got from bwaite who rebuilt his On3 turbo using these parts and instructional video.

bwaite said:
hello.

heres some info for yea. found this on youtube. its a 2 part video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iNZK4jeRSI&feature=related

that will give you a idea of how to do the rebuild.

biggest thing to remember is to scribe the shaft,compressor,nut. so when you put it back together you line all three up and its balanced again.

nut is reversed threads too.!!

here is the rebuild kit i got.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&vxp=mtr&item=221131647770

the kit is a 100% match to the on3 turbo! every part was identical

hope this helps yea.

brett

1 - 12 of 12 Posts