Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody else haveing issues with this. I can't seem to keep them away from the downpipe. I've wrapped the downpipe and that has helped some. But I just melted two MSD 8.5mm plugs........:shifty:

I was looking at the fiberglass sleeves to go around the wires?

I've also heard of people going under the headers, but I've never seen this- pictures would be great.

Thanks.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MSD sells a kit for you to make your own custom length wires. Pretty easy to do, looks a lot better.
Yes, but still were do you run them to avoid downpipe heat? straight up between valve covers and downpipe? Did you fasten them to something to keep them out of the heat?

I'd love to see pictures of others wires with the on3!

·
Registered
630 Posts
It's not the wire routing that gives me trouble. It's the changing of the plugs that gets me.
No melting yet...(knock on wood colored plastic)

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. I'm going to try the sleeves and custom length wires. Looks like you have them hugging they heads/valve cover. Ill try that - problem has been getting them to stay exactly were I run them.

I don't think it's possible to change the plugs without taking the downpipe out.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Here's a couple of pics of mine:

I used a set of custom Taylor's. Cut them on the short side so they would hug the valve cover and then put heat shields on them. Been this way for well over a year with no issues.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I put the cut to length Summit brand wire today. I put accel heat sleeve tube.

I think by making them shorter it is going to work.

Right now I have my new summit 8mm wires on passenger side and I left the good 8.5mm msd wires on driver sides. Anything wrong with this mismatch? I could replace the drivers side with the summit ones, but it's a step down.

·
Registered
540 Posts
It's not the wire routing that gives me trouble. It's the changing of the plugs that gets me.
No melting yet...(knock on wood colored plastic)

that's a horrible spot for a msd box.
heat will burn that thing up.

·
Registered
540 Posts

Here's how I routed mine. I burnt the ends off two sets. Stay away from the motorsports wires!!
The boots do not fair very well with heat. The boots turn to playdough like substance. Msd superconductors just cracked. I installed dei boots (4) 38.00. And a roll if 1" dei aluminum heat wrap cut to length. Seems like it helps but the true test is coming mid summer.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
i use the dei boot covers and route the plug wires as close and tight as possible over the valve cover. zip ties will help keep them in place. they make wires that have a higher temp rating also

1 - 14 of 14 Posts