Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys ive bin having a smoking issue with my on3 turbo through the exhaust. it always smoked little bit. now that the new motor is in, it seems little bit worse. (maybe since i have a high volume oil pump) so last couple days ive done a ton of research. i bought a .065 oil restrictor. havent installed it yet. gonna hold off for now. BECAUSE:

today i removed turbo to inspect it. looks great. dont see any oil leaking. down pipe looks good too. shaft play is perfect. i got to looking at the drain ITS WAY TO SMALL!!! the barb fittings that attach to turbo drain and the oil pan arent much bigger then 1/4 in. drain hose is 3/8in and that metal pipe that makes the 90 degree bend is 5/16th inch SEE PICTURES BELOW.

today i spend 11 bucks at lowes and bought. 5/8in barb fittings, 5/8 hose, and 5/8 metal tube. looks 10x better. and i now know that it should drain the way its suppose to.

hopefully this will solve my issue, if not ill add the restrictor. but i dont think ill need it since i almost double the drain size now.

what do you guys think???

left is hardware that on3 supplied right side is my own setup from lowes.

i also bent the metal pipe longer to lessen the sharp 90 degree bend.

·
Registered
753 Posts
How are you venting the crankcase as well? This is often overlooked, and usually the number one offender, I would address this before resulting to a restrictor on a journal bearing turbo. How much oil pressure do you see at wot? Too much crankcase pressure under boost will slow the gravity drain and work against it increasing the pressure in the center cartridge and pushing oil past the seals. Nice job on the new drain btw, looks good!

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How are you venting the crankcase as well? This is often overlooked, and usually the number one offender, I would address this before resulting to a restrictor on a journal bearing turbo. How much oil pressure do you see at wot? Too much crankcase pressure under boost will slow the gravity drain and work against it increasing the pressure in the center cartridge and pushing oil past the seals. Nice job on the new drain btw, looks good!
5/8 in hose coming from each valve cover into a breather catch can. The breather hole that the filter attached to was only 3/8 I widened the hole to 1 1/4 inch and installed a thread pipe and hose clamp breather to that. (I just did that today)

Not sure what else I can do since I have plastic valve covers and can't really get the drivers off without dropping motor down few inches.

Only other thing I could add is a breather oil cap

·
Registered
873 Posts
one thing i always upgrade on them, but i use the braided hose and heat sleeve.
and upgrade the pcv system is a must.

·
Jersey True Street Guy
3,195 Posts
5/8 in hose coming from each valve cover into a breather catch can. The breather hole that the filter attached to was only 3/8 I widened the hole to 1 1/4 inch and installed a thread pipe and hose clamp breather to that. (I just did that today)

Not sure what else I can do since I have plastic valve covers and can't really get the drivers off without dropping motor down few inches.

Only other thing I could add is a breather oil cap
5/8 hose is equal to -10. If you have one line per valve cover going directly into the can that should not be your issue.

Some of us run -12, but I'm not sure it is really necessary, but more because the incremental cost is only a few dollars vs. a -10 setup.

I also have a braided drain line with a proper drain fitting and real fittings. That picture with the tape measure is not confidence inspiring vs. what you would have a real -10 fitting. That "could" be an issue, but only if it is really too small to accomodate the drain volume.

Let us know the results from your testing before we try to philosophize further on this. What you are doing looks like the right steps.

I'm sure the guys here can help you piece together a drain with better parts if you need it. Keep us posted.

I'm a little puzzled why kits would ship with home-depot like parts. Real AN aluminum fittings and line aren't expensive for the type of setup we are talking about for a drain line.

(not to scare you, but when I overspun my PT78 from too much backpressure it smoked like a train. It twisted up the center and was shooting oil into the downpipe)

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have the first gen kit. I have know idea why they supplied such a small drain. Im not surprised That they haven't chimed in. O well. Hopefully others check there drain to make sure they don't have the bs on3 supplied me

·
Registered
139 Posts
I know this is an old ass thread but I'm having the same issue.

Wish I were in your boat though - my on3 FF kit didn't come with any of that stuff. Took me a few months of emails to even start to get a reply. When I did, my warranty had long passed. I worked out my own solution.

I needed some other parts which didn't come with the kit (intercooler brackets, turbo bracket) so I figured I'd pay them a second time for the stuff I didn't get with my first kit.

Take a look at what they sent me for the "turbo drain fitting"

FFS.

Needless to say, the turbo started smoking after a month or so. Bought a rebuild kit and rebuilt it, problem was worse immediately. Bought a new turbo from a friend (cheap ebay one) and it -still- smokes terribly when warmed up.

So now I'm going to do the same thing as the OP and I'll report back. I just used a 3/8" hose when I did this intially and made my own fitting by drilling a hole in a plate I had like the one shown above and threading in a brass fitting and soldering it up. I'm going to have to do that again here.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
wow....thats just mind boggling. thats like walking around all day in a chimp suit and not knowing it

1 - 13 of 13 Posts