Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The kit itself fit pretty well, came with all the parts ect. The problem I had is with the boost controller. I installed according to directions, worked great for the first couple shakedowns. I took a buddy for a ride saturday afternoon, turned the boost controller up half a turn. Went to the highway put it in 3rd gear and let it eat. Came into boost and ripped the tires loose, buddy in the passenger seat said "WHOAAA". Let out about 5500rpm in 3rd. Buddy looks over and says "dang 18psi" LOL. I thought he was kidding, pulled over turned the controller back down. Made another hit, same result. Ended up taking the controller off and just running the gate, but the damage was done. Oil is milky and coolant smells like exhaust. Haha. Engine is a stock bottom end explorer engine, unknown miles. Still runs good, no knocks or smoke. Another set of 9333's and ill be back on the road. Car felt mean as hell on 18psi though! On the plus side, the turbo still works and none of my charge pipes came off.

Side note I have the old style on3 controller with the plastic knob you lift up and turn. Probably be swapping that out for a turbo smart or something else.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Stories like this just solidify my decision to install a good boost controller, wastegate, and BOV on my turbo install when the time comes.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I would just run the gate. I never went over 10 psi and cracked a cylinder.. Maybe it was because the motor was already .030" over bored.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I'm also a fan of just running spring pressure unless you fork over some cash for a good controller. Not really something you want to take a gamble on.

·
Registered
481 Posts
He also did not have head studs or good gaskets as well .But I'm glad he shared the post and information it's a reminder for the new builds.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He also did not have head studs or good gaskets as well .But I'm glad he shared the post and information it's a reminder for the new builds.
Not entirely correct. Engine had new ARP studs and 9333 gaskets. I was going to wait on them, but one of the spark plugs broke off inside the head (think 3v mod motor) when I took the plugs out to get the old headers off. I will most likely run off the gate with a 10psi spring next year.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts