Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm ready to pull the trigger on an On3 kit but have a few questions I hope someone can answer. First, the car is a '93 fox 5-speed with .373 gears, full exhaust, GT40 heads, and an Explorer intake. The car is not a DD nor will it see track time. I just recently purchased it and want to make it a little more fun to drive on the street. Mods with the On3 kit that I have planned are as follows:

255 lph fuel pump
42# injectors
.327 gears
Tial 44mm WG
Tial 50mm BOV
Pro-M MAF
FelPro head gaskets
ARP head bolts
Adjustable FPR

I will also upgrade to an aluminum radiator and Taurus fan if cooling becomes an issue.

I plan on purchasing the kit from PAS. I'm really looking to stay on the conservative side and not max out performance...8 psi boost, maybe 10 at the most.

Questions:

1. Based on my application, should I stick with the base 67mm turbo or upgrade to ceramic ball bearing or even step up to the 76mm? The car will see less than 5k miles per yr.

2. PAS offers a Pro-M sensor with flange and TIG service for welding the flange. Has anyone purchased this and will the be all I need for MAF?

3. Has anyone who has recently purchased an On3 kit had problems with the supplied V bands? I've read plenty of reviews where these have been a problem and I wondering should I go ahead and upgrade to better V bands and be done with it?

4. Is there anything I'm missing?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
See my answers in red
I'm ready to pull the trigger on an On3 kit but have a few questions I hope someone can answer. First, the car is a '93 fox 5-speed with .373 gears, full exhaust, GT40 heads, and an Explorer intake. The car is not a DD nor will it see track time. I just recently purchased it and want to make it a little more fun to drive on the street. Mods with the On3 kit that I have planned are as follows:

255 lph fuel pump (get a 340lph just in case you ever want to upgrade)
42# injectors (not from On3, get a set of FRP green tops)
.327 gears (unnecessary expense unless you are going to drag race)
Tial 44mm WG (unnecessary, the On3 unit is fine)
Tial 50mm BOV (unnecessary, the On3 unit is fine)
Pro-M MAF (make sure to specify that it match your injectors)
FelPro head gaskets (unnecessary at your boost level)
ARP head bolts (unnecessary at your boost level)
Adjustable FPR (unnecessary unless requested by your tuner)

I will also upgrade to an aluminum radiator and Taurus fan if cooling becomes an issue.

I plan on purchasing the kit from PAS. I'm really looking to stay on the conservative side and not max out performance...8 psi boost, maybe 10 at the most.

Questions:

1. Based on my application, should I stick with the base 67mm turbo or upgrade to ceramic ball bearing or even step up to the 76mm? The car will see less than 5k miles per yr. (Base 67 mm will spool much faster on your application. The 76 would be overkill on your application and you would have considerable boost lag)

2. PAS offers a Pro-M sensor with flange and TIG service for welding the flange. Has anyone purchased this and will the be all I need for MAF?
(I haven't purchased this but if I were to order a kit today I would)

3. Has anyone who has recently purchased an On3 kit had problems with the supplied V bands? I've read plenty of reviews where these have been a problem and I wondering should I go ahead and upgrade to better V bands and be done with it? (no problems. 3 kits installed, one has been on almost 3 years and has been on and off the car 6 times)

4. Is there anything I'm missing? (LC1 Wide band and AFR Gauge, Boost Gage, DEI spark plug boot sleeves/shields, turbo blanket, and a set of remflex header gaskets w/a tube of copper rtv)

Thanks in advance for any replies.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
See my answers in red
fmyth, thanks for the reply. I'll probably stick with the 255 lph since I really don't see myself upgrading (famous last words) anytime. I was going to order the Bosch 42's from PAS when I ordered the turbo. I had .327's in my old '88 GT and loved them and this will be a good time for the swap while the car is down. I was going to upgrade the WG and BOV for insurance. Head gaskets and head bolts for insurance too. I have a boost gauge and wideband with a pillar gauge pod included in my budget but forgot to list them. I was on the fence with the blanket but will look into the plug boot sleeves and the header gaskets.

I understand some of the items on my list are overkill but I was thinking they would prevent any problems down the road.

Would you recommend the upgrade to the ceramic ball bearing turbo?

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
many have said the injectors from ON3 are not actually Bosche, I'd look elsewhere for those

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Also, I noticed a considerable drop in bay temps after adding the turbo blanket. You will need the sleeves on the passenger side plug wires

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
reply in red
fmyth, thanks for the reply. I'll probably stick with the 255 lph since I really don't see myself upgrading (famous last words) anytime. I was going to order the Bosch 42's from PAS when I ordered the turbo. I had .327's in my old '88 GT and loved them and this will be a good time for the swap while the car is down. I was going to upgrade the WG and BOV for insurance. Head gaskets and head bolts for insurance too. I have a boost gauge and wideband with a pillar gauge pod included in my budget but forgot to list them. I was on the fence with the blanket but will look into the plug boot sleeves and the header gaskets.

I understand some of the items on my list are overkill but I was thinking they would prevent any problems down the road. I've done it both ways but if I had it to do over I wouldn't pull the heads to change gaskets. Wait in case there is a problem and blow one. Then get the heads surfaced and installed head studs and a mls gasket.

Would you recommend the upgrade to the ceramic ball bearing turbo? I've had good luck with the base On3 and can't comment on the bb turbo.

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts
I bought the MAF, injectors, and pump from PAS, and my on3 kit. Deal with Chris from there. Save your money on the BOV and wastegate, use the on3 ones. Buy PAS 340 pump, they sell reasonable 60lb injectors too. With the saved money get a chip from Chris and let him give you a tune. His tunes are amazing to start off with. Also get a turbo blanket. If its a street car stay with the smaller turbo it will be fun. Deff ditch the 3:73's or you will be roasting tires in 3rd. That's not as fun as it sounds :) if your doing head gaskets get arp studs, they are only a little more than bolts but much better.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I live in rural MS...not much for tuners around here. I may have to get a generic tune to get me by.

I'd get a Moates Quarterhorse with a base tune. You can learn to tweak it yourself, or have Chris at PAS email you updates

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'd get a Moates Quarterhorse with a base tune. You can learn to tweak it yourself, or have Chris at PAS email you updates
I tried calling Chris last week but his mailbox was full. I was planning on running these same questions by him but posted here since I couldn't get up with him.

·
Registered
932 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you can afford to than I would upgrade both. Tial doesn't charge 379 for a 44 mm wastegate for no reason. The on3 stuff is hit or miss and not good workmanship. Here is a thread that might help you http://forums.corral.net/forums/gt-sohc/1422781-when-good-boost-goes-bad.html if you do a search you find a lot more.
Not to bash On3, but I have been doing plenty of reading prior to posting and that's why I put the Tial WG and BOV on my list. They're not "cheap" insurance but insurance none the less. The way I'm looking at it is I can buy them cheaper than rebuilding my engine if the On3 was to fail. I know a lot of people run the On3 WG and BOV without issue but there are too many that have had problems and that makes me a little nervous.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I called Chris again yesterday at PAS and left a voicemail...just a couple hours later he calls me back and took time to answer all my questions. Super nice guy and now I'm feeling real good about the final combo. If all goes well, I'll be placing my order on Friday. Work has been crazy and I've had to be out of the office a lot here lately. This reminds me of when I was a kid and Christmas couldn't get here fast enough!!! :D

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Definitely go with 3.27s! 3.73s are ridiculous on a turbo car. Have 3.73 on mine and can't even touch the bottle in 3rd. Plus, you'll build boost better.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Definitely go with 3.27s! 3.73s are ridiculous on a turbo car. Have 3.73 on mine and can't even touch the bottle in 3rd. Plus, you'll build boost better.
Sounds like fun to me!!! :)

But i know what you mean... Probably gets frustrating never having traction. Hopefully I will have the same issue with my 3:73's lol... if i ever get all this poop installed! :(

Im doing a trans swap at the same time tho. Getting very tired of the concrete garage floor. Taking a little break.

Best of luck with the kit OP!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Just to clarify, that's WITHOUT a turbo. Just a 175 dry shot on a 302, iron GT40s, E cam, etc. Have the whole kit waiting in storage, but figure it's wasted on the stock block. Waiting to get back to work and then I'll get the Dart motor together, do a trans swap, and get the turbo on.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts