Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering if anyone has tryed the on3 kit without doing new injectors MAF and fuel pump. could you run like 4psi to get a little horsepower gain entell you get get the money for injectors ect.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
On what car/combo? 4.5 psi from the On3 kit made 497 to the wheels on my car and split the block.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
331, F cam, TFS 190 heads, PMAS maf, 42lb injectors, t56 trans.

You will need a AFR guage, a blow through MAF matching injectors (Ive run 30lbs on a turbo car) and an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. If you are adamant about doing it on the cheap with no tune you can lock out the timing and use adj the fuel pressure to try to keep the afr safe.

If I were going to do it I'd pick up a used BTM, a FMU and AFR guage and see what I could do. Keep the boost low, timing limited and you should be ok for a while. Then you can sell the BTM and FMU for what you paid and upgrade to a standalone like the Megasquirt or get a chip, a tune and a fuel pump.

PS. You can get a Highflow 255 fuel pump from one of the corral members for about $70 iirc.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
would you think a 195 pump with a adjustable regulator work??? i know someone who would sell it to me for cheap

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
would you think a 195 pump with a adjustable regulator work??? i know someone who would sell it to me for cheap
You would still need a blow through maf, injectors and AFR guage.

If you want boost on a budget watch for a used complete sc kit. I've seen a few for sale on here with FMU/BTM for under $1,500. Its a much easier install and even the base model vortechs can make block splitting power with a pulley change and a few upgrades.

I bought a used Kenne Bell 1.5 kit complete with a FMU for $1,500 and bolted on to my completely stock 92 vert in a couple of hours. No tune, no afr guage, btm or anything else. It made a huge difference at 5psi and was trouble free for many many miles. I later sold it for what I paid for it and am now turbo.

Since going turbo I've spent and assload of money, torched a head, blown some gaskets, broke a block and spent more than I paid for the car on dyno tuning, chips etc.

I think your asking for trouble trying to do a turbo w/o all the supporting pieces. Can it be done? Yes. Are you willing to blow a headgasket or two figuring it out?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea im stariting to re-think this whole turbo idea cus ive got the money for the kit but its gonna be hard to get the money for the maf and injectors

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have a set of 42's and a matching 80mm C&L with 3k miles and also a 255lph walbro with 5k from my last setup. Would take $350 for all of it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts