Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys going to be picking up a kit soon and work alot so I will have my 1 of a couple shops do install and retune. With the tuning aside, what is a fair idea for the install part of the kit nowadays? I'm not looking for an exact number, just close ideas as I don't want to go into this thinking 10 hours and get charged for 20. What you guys think?

·
Registered
130 Posts
they will probably charge around a grand to do it, thats just and estimate. Now if that seems fair depends on the size of your wallet and the time frame you want it completed.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Well i had my kit installed with new heads,intake,tune,my computer was fried,they had to trace a wire..install a fuel pump,install Air fuel gauge,pillar pod...new oil,pump,timing chain...it was about 5k labor...

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
I would charge $500, another $500 to tune.

5K in labor, he got raped. Even at $100/hr no way that's 50 hours of work.
I didnt get raped...it was not just a turbo install....

·
Registered
276 Posts
Well i had my kit installed with new heads,intake,tune,my computer was fried,they had to trace a wire..install a fuel pump,install Air fuel gauge,pillar pod...new oil,pump,timing chain...it was about 5k labor...
I didnt get raped...it was not just a turbo install....
not sure what their hourly rate was but even it was $75/hr (ass raping) that's roughly 65 hours they charged you. Either they work slow or they saw you walking through the door. how long did they have your car? I see your in Jersey, mind sharing which shop this was?

OP, call around and get a quote from a reputable shop.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
They had my car for about 3 weeks...they had the car down to the block...like i said the studed the motor..had to relocate my meth injection,install a fuel pump,turbo,heads,intake,ignition,find a problem with the computer wiring,tune,..I did forget to say in my 1st post they supplied the Pro-M maf,gaskets,belt,plugs,and im sure im missing some misc parts...i dont think you could have done that for $500...It might have been a little over priced but to me the car was a turn key when i picked it up been done over a yr now no problems once with the kit or there install...I did however toast my AOD a few weeks ago...getting ready to have a Art car C4 installed...

·
Registered
276 Posts
They had my car for about 3 weeks...they had the car down to the block...like i said the studed the motor..had to relocate my meth injection,install a fuel pump,turbo,heads,intake,ignition,find a problem with the computer wiring,tune,..I did forget to say in my 1st post they supplied the Pro-M maf,gaskets,belt,plugs,and im sure im missing some misc parts...i dont think you could have done that for $500...It might have been a little over priced but to me the car was a turn key when i picked it up been done over a yr now no problems once with the kit or there install...I did however toast my AOD a few weeks ago...getting ready to have a Art car C4 installed...
No one would do all that for $500 and I never said I would, but I wouldn't bend you over for $5000 either. I told the OP I would charge $500 to install the turbo kit & another $500 to tune it.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
No one would do all that for $500 and I never said I would, but I wouldn't bend you over for $5000 either. I told the OP I would charge $500 to install the turbo kit & another $500 to tune it.
Yeah so to me it was worth it...LOL...Hey do i need a re-tune after switching to a c4 from an AOD...and what do you tune with?

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
if i were to do it I wouldnt touch the car for less than $500 and thats giving you a huge deal after swapping out the k member and everything. A regular shop will charge you at least twice that and really have no idea what theyre doing unless its a mustang specific performance shop

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the comments, I was estimating somewhere around a 1k$ with there being a realistic 10 hours or so involved. Then + what tuning will cost me. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I shouldn't need to change my K-Member for this On3 kit right? Hope not I just ordered it and I'm working within a budget plan lol

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
If its a fox body no.if its an sn95 yes it will need a k-member.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I was recently quoted +/-$1000 for kit install, fuel pump install, injectors install, pull heads and install new head gaskets and head bolts...all parts furnished by me, labor only.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cool, I was hoping for 1,000 or less. I feel that's a fair number, and trust me I would do it myself but I'd have no way to get it on trailer not running and I have no tools since I've moved into my new house. That and working 12 hour days :(

·
Registered
252 Posts
I'm kinda in the same situation. I'd like to do it myself but with work and a wife that's 7 months pregnant plus a 7 yr old, I'm not blessed with time. I may pay a shop to do it just so I can get it done quicker!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 20 of 27 Posts