Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I'm looking at buying a on3 turbo kit for my 2v. I'm thinking about holding off until their twin turbo kit comes out.

Ok now to the questions. Did they ever get the v band issue figured out(leaking)? Also when I go to buy this kit should I go ahead and upgrade their bov and WG to like tial, turbo smart, vortech or pro charger? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Please no bashing or getting of track of these questions.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I'm sure you've done your research and there are polar opposites of opinions on these kits. I bought the On3 fox kit but I'm still in the tuning process so I don't have any "real world" experience. My car isn't a dd nor will it be on the track so I rolled the dice hoping it works out. I asked similar questions prior to purchasing my kit and simply put...yes and no. Some people have issues and some don't. Some upgrade to the v bands from rps and others have used rtv or gaskets while some don't have any leaks. Same for the WG and BOV...some work fine and some don't. I opted to try the On3 WG and BOV but budgeted for Tial replacements just in case.

Sorry for the run around on answering your questions but that's the kind of responses you'll get...some will say its junk and to not waste your money while others haven't had any issues and have been running these kits for several years. My car will see less than 5k miles a year so hopefully it'll last a while...unless it ends up being junk and not working at all :D

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
The V band leak that the car I worked on had, was a result of either a improperly made V band clamp or improperly machined V band flanges. I am betting the flanges were machined too thin. I was able to fix the problem, but it would have been nice had it not had the problem.
As for the waste gate and BOV, if you have the money to buy better parts, it's not a bad idea, but the parts that come with the kit can be made to work, until a diaphragm starts leaking.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm sure you've done your research and there are polar opposites of opinions on these kits. I bought the On3 fox kit but I'm still in the tuning process so I don't have any "real world" experience. My car isn't a dd nor will it be on the track so I rolled the dice hoping it works out. I asked similar questions prior to purchasing my kit and simply put...yes and no. Some people have issues and some don't. Some upgrade to the v bands from rps and others have used rtv or gaskets while some don't have any leaks. Same for the WG and BOV...some work fine and some don't. I opted to try the On3 WG and BOV but budgeted for Tial replacements just in case.

Sorry for the run around on answering your questions but that's the kind of responses you'll get...some will say its junk and to not waste your money while others haven't had any issues and have been running these kits for several years. My car will see less than 5k miles a year so hopefully it'll last a while...unless it ends up being junk and not working at all :D

This is a good answer. Basically it's a hit or miss for the kit is what your saying right? And yes I've done my research. I just haven't really seen anyone posting about v band leaks. I will more then likely budget in better waste gate and BOV. Is there anything else I should look out for? I know the turbo isn't the greatest but it will work for now until I want to upgrade it.

·
Registered
252 Posts
This is a good answer. Basically it's a hit or miss for the kit is what your saying right? And yes I've done my research. I just haven't really seen anyone posting about v band leaks. I will more then likely budget in better waste gate and BOV. Is there anything else I should look out for? I know the turbo isn't the greatest but it will work for now until I want to upgrade it.
You will get what you pay for which is not a $4k-$5k kit. That being said your not spending that kind of money either. I picked my car up for a little over $2k and couldn't see dropping 3 times the cost of the car on a kit, fuel upgrades, etc. A lot of people bash because to them it's "cheap Chinese" made crap. I would dare say, the majority of things we all use on a daily basis is "cheap Chinese" crap but whatever. Did I expect it to be top quality?? No, but the fit and finish seem decent for the price but I'm not an expert. Did it fit like a glove?? No, but only "minor" adjustments were needed. You just have to decide if the risk is offset by the price...if so, go for it. If not, keep saving for a better kit. I would advise adding $500 bare minimum to what ever you think your budget will be...you'll need it haha

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You will get what you pay for which is not a $4k-$5k kit. That being said your not spending that kind of money either. I picked my car up for a little over $2k and couldn't see dropping 3 times the cost of the car on a kit, fuel upgrades, etc. A lot of people bash because to them it's "cheap Chinese" made crap. I would dare say, the majority of things we all use on a daily basis is "cheap Chinese" crap but whatever. Did I expect it to be top quality?? No, but the fit and finish seem decent for the price but I'm not an expert. Did it fit like a glove?? No, but only "minor" adjustments were needed. You just have to decide if the risk is offset by the price...if so, go for it. If not, keep saving for a better kit. I would advise adding $500 bare minimum to what ever you think your budget will be...you'll need it haha

Yeah I know what you mean. I'm not expecting a high dollar kit at all. As long as it works and does what it's suppose to do ill be fine with it. And budgeting more then Expected is always a good thing. When something can go wrong on an install usually does go wrong

1 - 6 of 6 Posts