Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been researching the on3 Foxbody kit and I am seeing conflicting info on weather the front sway bar is retained, or if it must be removed/deleted.
Looking for real confirmation (pictures) if it can be retained. This is for a street car and the front sway bar is a deal breaker for whatever kit I end up getting.

·
Registered
79 Posts
It can be retained. Last kit I installed was on a 1993 Cobra. I modified some of the hot side piping, but it was more because I was picky than anything.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It can be retained. Last kit I installed was on a 1993 Cobra. I modified some of the hot side piping, but it was more because I was picky than anything.
IS it retained in stock form? Or does it need any special or modified brackets or mounts?

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Watched a few On3 install videos on YouTube, and most of them had the swaybar still on the car. Looks like you just need to load the suspension during the install, other wise the crossover pipe hits the swaybar.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
House of Dula on YouTube purchased an On3 kit and is installing it on his '86 GT. Of course, one of the first things he points out and he's correct, it costs more than just the $1600 amount for the kit. Once you add in all of the other parts you're going to need, you're in the $4000 range. I know I'm going to want more power. The stock 302 is limited power wise. I'm trying to stay a few steps ahead. I'm not sure if I want to do a 351w based engine or a mod motor.

·
Registered
17 Posts
House of Dula on YouTube purchased an On3 kit and is installing it on his '86 GT. Of course, one of the first things he points out and he's correct, it costs more than just the $1600 amount for the kit. Once you add in all of the other parts you're going to need, you're in the $4000 range. I know I'm going to want more power. The stock 302 is limited power wise. I'm trying to stay a few steps ahead. I'm not sure if I want to do a 351w based engine or a mod motor.
What all accounts for the extra $2400 of needed parts to make the On3 kit work???

·
Registered
637 Posts
You don’t need a lot of extra parts. Buy some exhaust wrap, (eBay stuff works fine) turbo blanket (eBay) maybe a new mass air meter, you can use a short Wix oil filter or ford 910 or buy the ford racing 90 degree adapter. That’s really it. The Y pipe if you want to hook up your exhaust. So all in all I’d figure :
179$ for the Y pipe
75$ for heat blanket and wrap
10$ oil filter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
432 Posts
Well I think he means just other supporting mods. Injectors, fuel pump, I did rails and lines with mine too, tune and chip or like I did a MegaSquirt, clutch for the power depending on how good yours is. I just did this whole thing last year and there are a lot of little things that add up you never think about depending how crazy you want to get.

One of my friends told me take the cost of the kit and double it and that’s around what you will spend. It was pretty close and I did everything except the tune

·
Registered
637 Posts
Yea your right. But the problem is you have that expense whether it’s a On3 turbo kit or a used Vortech kit, those are the expenses with any power adder not just a turbo kit. I guess I misunderstood the OP question

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
those expenses can be trimmed with lots of effort though as well. I got my on3 kit for $400 minus turbo, added a higher quality $500 turbo, then bought good injectors used, megasquirt for tuning, ebay exhaust wrap, free blanket with turbo, new wally 450, sold used parts, etc. all in all I have very little money in my setup but LOTS of effort and time.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I did the same thing sold things and bought things used as well. The problem is having patients. Not everyone wants to wait 2 weeks for a part to sell or wait untill you find the injectors you want show up somewhere. If it is a project and there is time for all of that great. I started my project the beginning of winter so I had nothing but time to get deals and sell parts. We are coming up on spring now people are gunna want to be in the car and not just working on them.

I went with a cheap power adder “on3 kit” but everything else around it all supporting mods will be good for a lot more then the on3 can handle. That’s the reason I ended up with an on3, I spent lots of money getting a good foundation to put it on but then only had money left for a cheaper kit haha

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
That's understandable. I guess I'm lucky that Houston is an area with a massive car scene so used performance parts are easy to come by, especially for common builds like turbo foxes. I also enjoy the thrill of getting a good deal. lol My on3 kit was BNIB minus turbo for $400. Probably never see a deal like that again.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I bought mine used On3 complete for 1100$. Then I bought a used 3” blow through meter to replace my 80mm pro m. I sold my S trim setup and still had $$ left over because I’m still using the injectors and fuel pump Fromm that setup. I couldn’t afford to play this game if it all was brand new stuff. This website and eBay helps a lot with parts. For me it’s part of the fun.

·
Registered
350 Posts
It's funny, everytime I start to believe that I for sure want to go the turbo route on my '89, I find something else that will need to be done or changed to optimize the setup.

Example, I have 3.73 gears and a Flowmaster catback. I would want to put my stock 3.08s back in and get some Dynomax ultra flo mufflers before the install so as these can effect the tune that I would be working on (Microsquirt) once the turbo is in. I will already be dealing with the learning curve of tuning so I would want these thinigs done ahead of time.

I also might want to get the headers ceramic coated ($250-$300) for heat protection since they are a bigger PIA to remove and rewrap when the heat wrap gets bad. I'll also need to jack the motor up again to remove my long tubes during the install.

Then I start to reconsider if all this will be worth the upside of having the turbo.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
All the inconveniences of installing a turbo are worth it imo.

I wouldn't wrap the headers. They can crack. Ceramic coating is a good idea though.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts