Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok...anyone have to massage the downpipe or the upper area of the tranny tunnel to get the downpipe to mate up to the turbo? my pipe is wrapped and I need about an inch and a half for the flanges to mate. :curses:
anyone else have this issue, if so what did you do to solve this? looks like it needs massaging below the dryer but there is no room to swing a hammer.
help!

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
No problems here. Have installed on 3 kit on 3 of my cars. 1 car has AJE K member and C4 trans (on stock modified trans mount) 2 car has stock K member, poly motor mounts and stock T5, 3rd car had Qa1 K member and T56 trans on 98 cobra trans mount. All had down pipe wrapped. I did not have to modify the trans tunnel or the down pipe.

I would suggest that you loosen the v band clamp where your dp connects to the turbo just enough so you can rotate the dp as you connect it to the rest of the exhaust. I used a jack to put pressure on it to hold it up tight to the body of the car and then tightened all of the v band clamps.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would suggest that you loosen the v band clamp where your dp connects to the turbo just enough so you can rotate the dp as you connect it to the rest of the exhaust.
actually this is where my problem lies...I can't get the pipe to mate at the turbo. did all the cars have ac?

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mine had ac and I had to angle the accumulator to get the dp where I needed it

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
yeah..I may have to do the same. I also just thought about it... maybe it'll help if I take the car off the jack stands.

·
Registered
86 Posts
This is on a 86 cougar XR7 original 2.3T car.

I have a lightning 351 with a ON3 kit. The 3.5" downpipe is a bear.
It cannot be removed with the passenger header on...its so tight. No AC.

I'm currently making plans for quick exhaust disconnects....so I can move the DP so I can change the plugs and wires...grrh...the big 351 better be worth it...its such a packaging problem.

I'm running PIMP and EFI...

Travis

·
Registered
69 Posts
Will the large or small bellhousing impact how things fit with this kit? and the clearance of the down pipe? I plan on intalling a C4 transmission with the 351w on3 turbo kit. I already have the large bell, 164 tooth? This is in a 88 tbird btw

·
Registered
48 Posts
any chance you have a down pipe for a 351 kit.
I had the same problem. fought it for hours would not fit.
did some research and found out the dp i had was for a 351

even with the right dp, its a tight fit. my car has a/c as well.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
any chance you have a down pipe for a 351 kit.
I had the same problem. fought it for hours would not fit.
did some research and found out the dp i had was for a 351

even with the right dp, its a tight fit. my car has a/c as well.
nah...i did a little massaging of the lower firewall, rewrapped the dp tighter and it went in just fine.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Flip the pipe the other way. Test fitting my buddies we ran into that problem but realized we had it backwards.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts