Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been seeing several turbo header and crossover pipe kits for sale lately. They all look just like an On3 hotside. Is China just passing around the blueprints? And all for $200, in stainless steel shipped to your door?

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
I do electrical engineering of manufactured products.

The standard operation of China is they spin off things even if using a USA company's tooling.

One California company moved all their tooling and design information to China for expensive vacuum relays and capacitors, and within a year or so they were being sold by Chinese sellers on e-Bay. The USA company sells them for $600 or so wholesale and the Chinese bootleg (which are the same parts) sell for a few hundred.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
I've been seeing several turbo header and crossover pipe kits for sale lately. They all look just like an On3 hotside. Is China just passing around the blueprints? And all for $200, in stainless steel shipped to your door?
I've seen these too, yet i don't know anybody that has tried it. Are you gonna be the guinea?

I do electrical engineering of manufactured products...
This is exactly right. Most of the time when small American companies are looking to outsource manufacturing to China, they end up using a build house that makes a TON of different things. All the designs that come in eventually get looked at and ripped off. It's a chance American's take when trying to get manufacturing costs down.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do electrical engineering of manufactured products.

The standard operation of China is they spin off things even if using a USA company's tooling.

One California company moved all their tooling and design information to China for expensive vacuum relays and capacitors, and within a year or so they were being sold by Chinese sellers on e-Bay. The USA company sells them for $600 or so wholesale and the Chinese bootleg (which are the same parts) sell for a few hundred.
same parts, same quality, or did the quality control suffer? I would be most worried about the quality of the materials being used. I work at a fertilizer company, we use lots of stainless steel for plumbing of somewhat corrosive materials. We got some cheaper stainless manufactured in Thailand, it didn't weld together well, and was prone to leaking and even pitting in more turbulent areas.

As far as being a guinea pig, I don't know how I feel about bolting up a $200 hotside in front of a $1,500 turbo.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I will be the guinea pig. Is it for a 2v or fox. Where can I find it? :grin2:

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
FYI: I've purchased from DNA and Speed daddy and although they definitely are chinese, some are decent quality, some arent, but the sellers are always willing to work with you or refund to make it right.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes the links listed above are the cheap kits I was referring to. DNA, speed daddy, and a few other names. I couldn't bring myself to buy a set of these, mainly because I wrote down my plan for my new car/build and testing parts wasn't part of the plan. I also won't have my car going till next summer so I wouldn't be able to get results back in a timely manner. I'm anxious to see your results.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
If I had (another) spare fox, I'd totally try it out. I already have a running turbo coupe and a running roots blown coupe though. maybe I'l score another one though. o_O

·
Registered
263 Posts
Trolling Craigslist now for a cheap fox Body...

·
Registered
310 Posts
When i built my new turbo setup a few years ago i took a chance and purchased a set of 1 5/8 Stainless shorties off ebay to fab with. I have used many different kinds of name brand headers before and this set of $89 chinesium stainless headers were by far the best ones Ive ever used. tube,Welds,bends,flanges all top notch. Gaskets and supplied fasteners complete JUNK though. They have been on the car for a few years now and still look great. Haven't warped or cracked or given me any problem at all!

YMMV!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I just ordered the stainless header kit for my old school 5.0 work car.Plan to buy a 67mm Borg Warner,Tial 44mm gate,& build a sleeper.My 5.0 is bone stock & a turbo kit would serve it well to shock some newer cars.It is a work car but I love to wipe the floor with a few annoying muscle cars.Especially them damn Dodges.They are the worst in my neck of the woods."Its got a hemi"!My reply..."so what!'

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I just ordered the stainless header kit for my old school 5.0 work car.Plan to buy a 67mm Borg Warner,Tial 44mm gate,& build a sleeper.My 5.0 is bone stock & a turbo kit would serve it well to shock some newer cars.It is a work car but I love to wipe the floor with a few annoying muscle cars.Especially them damn Dodges.They are the worst in my neck of the woods."Its got a hemi"!My reply..."so what!'
In for results. Kept us updated.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts