Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im brand new to turbo's. so i have no where else to turn. i have no idea why its stuck open. my front bumper is off and as soon as i turn my car on its wide open. my buddy watched it as i gave it some gas and it still stayed wide open clear through the RPM range. once again i have NO idea why lol. any help is much appriciated!

·
Registered
246 Posts
do you have the vacuum line hooked up? I'm new to the turbo thing myself but my car won't build boost by just reving the engine either. But under a load, like out on the street everything works fine.. If I'm not mistaken it's supposed to stay open until you start putting a load on the engine

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if you disconnect the vacuum line does it close? What vacuum source are you using?
yeah as soon as the lne comes off or the car shuts off it closes. but no matter what while its hooked up and the car is running it wont close. and the BOV and waste gate are both plumbed into a vaccum line on my egr sensor i think. and it feeds right into the throttle body plenum.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
do you have the vacuum line hooked up? I'm new to the turbo thing myself but my car won't build boost by just reving the engine either. But under a load, like out on the street everything works fine.. If I'm not mistaken it's supposed to stay open until you start putting a load on the engine
hmm well then i guess i need to figure out why my tansmission wont go into gear lol TO THE GARAGE!

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Seeing how your WG is very important to keeping your engine alive i would run a dedicated line to it. The blow off valve can share a line. If you are under the hood looking at the valve, when you quickly mash the throttle wide open does the valve move? I am wondering if you have too many things hooked up to 1 source which might cause a big lag in responce. try taking your car for a spin around the block, roll into the throttle till you hear the turbo spooling and then let off to see if the blow off valve "blows off".

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Seeing how your WG is very important to keeping your engine alive i would run a dedicated line to it. The blow off valve can share a line. If you are under the hood looking at the valve, when you quickly mash the throttle wide open does the valve move? I am wondering if you have too many things hooked up to 1 source which might cause a big lag in responce. try taking your car for a spin around the block, roll into the throttle till you hear the turbo spooling and then let off to see if the blow off valve "blows off".
im going to go run a dedicated line for the waste gate and bov right now. ill report back in a few hours thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
As an example if your engine pulls 12inHg of vacuum at idle, you would want the bov to open at 14inHg.

·
Registered
426 Posts
you wanna run the BOV vacuum line post throttle body and have it a dedicated line. if you go to tial's website it will give you a chart of what spring to run compared to how much vacuum your pulling at idle. my BOV stays open at idle, but i have some pretty big cams in my engine too.

·
Registered
444 Posts
last 2 ebay bovs have been open under vac and closed under load wastegate should be closed and open at boost lvl
and had a turbonetics godzilla and race setup its would be setup closed and street use be set open
i also have a on3 bov would realy think this is a street set up i could be wrong but its how mine have been ran last 3 times

·
Registered
426 Posts
it really depends on how much vacuum your pulling at idle. for example if your pulling around -22 to -23 in/hg at idle you want a pink spring that pulls -24in/hg. if your pulling -18 to -21 in/hg then you want a unpainted spring that pulls -22 in/hg. if your pulling -14 to -17 in/hg then you want a white spring that pulls -18 in/hg. if your pulling -10 to -13 in/hg then you want the black spring thats pulling -14 in/hg. mine stayed open til i changed out my spring. there are plenty of people out ther that tell you its bad to run with it open and some that tell you it ok. i did a test. i put a feather next to the BOV while at idle and there was no air sucking in. i drove for like 2 months like that.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts