Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Engine: 308, E cam, World Windsor Sr. heads, 80mm accufab, large front mount, trick flow r intake, 3" downpipe to 3.5" adapter with a single 3.5 straight through bullet style muffler to axle, On3 76 mm kit for 5.0 running on3 44mm waste gate in stock location.

The problem is inconsistent boost creep as load becomes greater with gear load. 1st gear with the c4 and 3500 stall see 7psi.Next comes second gear at 10psi .Then comes 3rd gear freight training at 20 plus psi. I called on3 today asking for a solution which they have always been extremely helpful. They advised me to install a second waste gate . I Checked the gate and it function fine when tested with a regulator/compressor at 7 psi and higher up to 20 psi to see how bad it leaked. It barely leaked. I haven't really asked where would be a good location to mount the second one. But I'm kind of wondering where would be a good spot. Has anyone else had to install a second waste gate to control creep?

I'm also concerned about the function of the exhaust flow. If I add another by the drivers side before the crossover would that would mean that bank is seeing leaner conditions venting off more than the passenger side header since its not even seeing a waste gate blow off ? I cant see where id squeeze one in on the passenger side header without it turning into a pita.

Looking for some answers on the design aspect and function of what it will do if two waste gates are put on the same crossover tube. I'm worried about a lean bank and only one bank bleeding off all the exhaust.

Another thread had me wondering if the valve is sized properly. Ya its a 44mm but does it open enough.

Now idk if this thread is exactly solid info either though. I don't know much about wastegate function except it opens to control boost. http://www.theturboforums.com/threads/367941-Boost-creep

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.:salute:

·
Registered
372 Posts
I would try a good quality gate first. No reason your combo could not be controlled by a 44mm gate IMO. Easier to change a gate than to weld a second one in.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would try a good quality gate first. No reason your combo could not be controlled by a 44mm gate IMO. Easier to change a gate than to weld a second one in.
How do we know its the valve? The valve was tested and functioned fine.
What im wondering is if anyone else had this problem and what was the remedy.

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts
Its eaither the wastegate. My on3 one sucks and leaks.

The other thing I would check is the vacuum/boost reference hoses going to the Wastgate, is it hooked up right? Are the hoses collapsing?

Sent from my PI86100 using Board Express

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
It has the lightest spring in it and the source of boost is at discharge port on Turbo housing to backside port on gate. Its hooked up properly. The hose is pressure clamped. The hose shouldn't kink under boost. The hose is braided /rubber pressure hose. Its coming down to function of the gate.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
932 Posts
If you are getting boost creap it's more than likely your wastegate. My on3 wastegate is in junk parts pile. It never has had exhaust run through it. A cheap Chinese knock off gate is not something I was willing to risk my my engine with. I wish I hadn't wasted my time with their BOV valve, as it leak like a sive. Like said above get a quality gate and don't look back. I run a turbosmart pro gate 50. In comparing the two, the on3 gate is like a Yugo.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Can you just buy a waste gate and take the on3 out and install the new one??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts