Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the Fox 5.0 kit with the On3 76mm, and i cannot mount my alternator where they recommend it to go. So basically stock location but using their bracket. Has anybody else had this issue or is it just me? also i have to cut the opening on my inner fender for the charge pipe that connects to the throttle body. It hits the Turbine housing if i try to put it in with out cutting, it hits so bad that i cannot actually connect it.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Here are the pictures.

Sorry about the quality, they are camera phone pics. I think i dont have any options other than to relocate the alternator to the drivers side.
This is with the alternator loosely mounted, and the turbo clocked too far.
I dont even have the tension bar connected.
Am i having issues because i have a 3g alternator? or is it the 76mm compressor?

·
Registered
873 Posts
i dont think you have the rod correct.

thats how all of them i have had went. just saying. i know the t76 is bigger, but with the right belt, i know they fit.

and its looks like your motor is sitting up pretty high. what mounts are you using? :confused:

is this a 351 kit?

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry about the quality, they are camera phone pics. I think i dont have any options other than to relocate the alternator to the drivers side.
This is with the alternator loosely mounted, and the turbo clocked too far.
I dont even have the tension bar connected.
Am i having issues because i have a 3g alternator? or is it the 76mm compressor?
See the bold? If I connect the bar the alternator hits the compressor.
This is a 347 with the 5.0 kit.
I'm running a UPR k member and UPR solid mounts. Also my k member is dropped 5/8''.

·
Registered
873 Posts
granted this is a 70mm in the pic, but i have the tension rod adjusted about all the way out, and there is still room. the belt i ended up with was longer then i wanted it to be.and im running the 3g aswell.

adjust the rod all the way in, and ditch that little bracket on the top, and mount it like that(the one in the pic).

this car has the upr k member, 1/2" k member spacers, but im running poly mounts.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Your turbo looks farther forward than mine does... Did On3 test fit the 76mm before selling it with their kit? Did you have to cut the hole in the inner fender larger in order to fit the charge pipe? Mine won't fit, it hits the turbine housing. I will take a pic when I get home. The way it sits I need to elongate the hole towards the strut tower.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Your turbo looks farther forward than mine does... Did On3 test fit the 76mm before selling it with their kit? Did you have to cut the hole in the inner fender larger in order to fit the charge pipe? Mine won't fit, it hits the turbine housing. I will take a pic when I get home. The way it sits I need to elongate the hole towards the strut tower.
My coldside pipe does hit the turbine housing some...The hole in the fender was cut already cause I ran a anderson powerpipe and mine still hit..The reason for mine hitting like it did was, I'm running a 1 inch spacer under the plenum....I may try and cut a lil more out..But I run a turbo blanket as well..

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My coldside pipe does hit the turbine housing some...The hole in the fender was cut already cause I ran a anderson powerpipe and mine still hit..The reason for mine hitting like it did was, I'm running a 1 inch spacer under the plenum....I may try and cut a lil more out..But I run a turbo blanket as well..
Ok, I don't mind having to cut the hole, just wondering if my turbo is sitting too far back causing both of my issues.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I said the same thing about the turbo, but like you I run the stock alternator. We have the humongous fins. With the march style bracket you can not extend it all the way out on the stock alternator or it will jack the coupler up pretty bad.

·
Registered
525 Posts
See the bold? If I connect the bar the alternator hits the compressor.
This is a 347 with the 5.0 kit.
I'm running a UPR k member and UPR solid mounts. Also my k member is dropped 5/8''.
I also think if you get rid of that upper bracket it should fit...secondly, my turbo sat pretty close to my 3g alt when the rod was adjusted all the way "IN"....

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I said the same thing about the turbo, but like you I run the stock alternator. We have the humongous fins. With the march style bracket you can not extend it all the way out on the stock alternator or it will jack the coupler up pretty bad.
Well I'm running the 3g alt instead of stock, but did you have the same issue I'm having with it hitting the compressor housing?

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I also think if you get rid of that upper bracket it should fit...secondly, my turbo sat pretty close to my 3g alt when the rod was adjusted all the way "IN"....
I am removing the March bracket, I was just mocking up the alt before tightening down my compressor housing bolts and I realized I have an issue. I will hook it up like it is supposed to be hooked up later today and see what it looks like

·
Registered
854 Posts
Well I'm running the 3g alt instead of stock, but did you have the same issue I'm having with it hitting the compressor housing?
I THINK it may have, if I extended the bracket all the way out.I eneded up just having to push it away anyways due to the stock alternator. Just went out and got my own custom belt length. I'll post a picture of later so you can see where it sits. I will say having the bracket extended in made it hard to find a belt.

·
Registered
873 Posts
my inner fenders our smoothed over. but i cut the charge pipe right after the bend. if you notice the extra coupler i have in that area. it made marking for the hole easier and gave me more room to fit the piping how i wanted to.

the 76mm is quite larger then the 70mm im running currently. i'm more then likely will be running the 72mm that on3 now makes for the larger displacement engine, once the stroker motor goes in this one. may just try it on this stocker to see what difference it doe make vs the 70.

and finding a belt isnt that hard. these ribbed belts come in many different lengths. i just used the stock one routed the way i wanted it, and loped it and zip tied it together, went to the parts store and checked the length and subtraced 1/2" and converted it to the belt length needed . guess i should do a write up on how easy it really is to figure out.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, i bolted it up as it should be... i think.
Yes i know the big bolt is not tightened all the way but i assure you it is snug.
The Adjusting rod is all the way in and i CANNOT adjust it out any or it hits the compressor housing... so i have NO/ZERO adjustment available.

·
Authorized corral.net Advertiser
2,829 Posts
If you were able to clock the turbo around a little more, would that help you out at all? If so I have an idea and we could just add a small length to the intercooler tubing for you. The housing really doesnt measure all that much larger than the MP76 which clears fine, I didnt think that would have any sort of clearance issues. From the looks of it though if it could clock a little more around, it might give you more adjustment

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you were able to clock the turbo around a little more, would that help you out at all? If so I have an idea and we could just add a small length to the intercooler tubing for you. The housing really doesnt measure all that much larger than the MP76 which clears fine, I didnt think that would have any sort of clearance issues. From the looks of it though if it could clock a little more around, it might give you more adjustment
I can clock it a little more, but it isnt a good line up between the compressor exit and intercooler piping. And by clocking it more, i only gain ~1/4" extra. AND i cannot put the bottom bolt on my compressor like it is now, or clocked more because it hits the oil drain fitting. Even if it were all the way tightened it still wouldnt clear the oil drain fitting. If the head of the bolt was ~1/16th" shorter it would clear perfect.... Im probably going to go look for a smaller head bolt tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
After taking a second look at the pictures maybe if i clock it a decent amount more it might clear better, and then i would just need that extra piece added... ill look at it tonight when i get off work.
Thank you again On3

·
Registered
939 Posts
slo895.0 it looks like you are having the exact same issue i did/was!I bet with it adjusted all the way in it will hit on the 2 hose's comming off the intake for the heater?Well what i did was i MADE an old bracket work by fliping it to the driverside.So either do this or fight with (good luck) on3 to get them to buy you the proper bracket to switch it to the driverside,or maybe they will take back your passengerside header and refab it to sit the turbo back closer to the firewall!Thats the problem they dont understand why it wont work!Although i have expressed the issue to them!They will say "we have a customer running a 80mm turbo and his fit's fine!" well of course it does cause his turbo clearly sits back closer to the firewall to allow the clearance for the alt.To answer your question and mine (that ON3 never answered) it looks to me that NO they didnt test mock up the alt bracket on neither the 5.8 swap OR the 5.0 kit with the 76MM!Here is a pic of mine after i refabed it:

Here is how it was from ON3:

I will search the forums here cause they posted the pic of this customers car with the bigger turbo and clearly shows how much further back his sits.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Heres the pic that was posted on here of the customers car with the bigger turbo.Notice how it sits more to the rear of the engine.Weather this is a pic of a 351swap or a 5.0?Either way it sits back further and thats why you and i have the issue we are having and the customer with the bigger turbo didnt.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts