Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who is running a on3 turbo be it a 70mm or 76mm. 5.0, 2v, 4v dosen't matter. Just want to see how long you have been running it and how does it perform. I'm not sure if I want spend the 1000.00 on the precision turbo yet. Any feed back would be great as I'm about to order the FF kit next week.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Most seem to opt for the Master Power upgrade since it's not much more money.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I have a brand new on76 for sale. Never mounted. $250 shipped. or trad for a 70MM if you get the kit with the smaleer turbo. This wont fit in my location.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
We used the chinese 70mm that came with the kit for about 2 years, ended up with pretty bad shaft play... compressor wheel would actually touch the housing occasionally at idle, took a few to figure out what that noise was.... even then it spooled hard and never smoked, we replaced it with another about 6 months ago and that one is still going strong.

We'll probably rebuild the old one and save it as a spare, it spooled fine and everything, just had shaft play.

·
Registered
383 Posts
figures i'd get the bad one of the bunch. Mine didnt even make it out of the driveway before deciding the downpipe was a better place for the oil than the drain.
What size hose was the feed and drain? Did you use a restrictor? What was your oil pressure when this happened?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Used the 4AN feed supplied with the on3 kit, 5/8" return with good fall. Oil pressure is perhaps 55psi cold with 5w30 and the oil pump ford installed 130,000 miles ago. Stuff happens, Jegs is taking care of it for me and I've seen a large enough sample that I trust the next one will be ok.

·
Authorized corral.net Advertiser
2,829 Posts
The most important thing as well is to ensure you have the center section clocked where it had the feed and drain running perfectly vertical. A lot of guys will not adjust it and put it at an angle for some reason and that will cause catastrophic damage to the turbo. I have one of the first On 3 70mm turbos on my daily 2v car still to this day. 20,000+ miles and going strong.

·
Registered
129 Posts
The drain and feed were completely vertical, I primed the turbo by putting oil in the feed before attaching the actual feed line and then spinning it by hand. Then I spun the motor over with the starter to get all the air out of the feed line before connecting it. I'm pretty sure I took the necessary precautions. I also squeezed a quart of oil through the drain using a gear oil bottle with the nipple on it, it goes down the drain hose faster than i can pour it down the valve cover lol. I'm not bashing, I just think I got a bad one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts