Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else had a On3 46mm wastegate leak? I finally got my car going and it spiked 19psi a couple times. Top port holds pressure, side port leaks out of the side around the valve stem where the top half and bottom half bolt together. Mike said to send it in and they would take it apart and fix it.

·
Authorized corral.net Advertiser
2,829 Posts
Once the cap is taken off, you can remove the set screws from the billet machined part that the spring is seated on. You will be able to see the nut that holds the base of the cap to the body of the wg. If its leaking, that nut could have came loose. Normally there is a light amount of rtv applied when seating the two pieces together. If its not loose, you can send that back to me and Ill pull the nut off and seal it up and tighten it back down. Its pretty easy if you think you can handle it. If not just ship it back over here and I can do that for you

Thanks

·
Jersey True Street Guy
3,195 Posts
Ergh....that may be an answer...but is that what you really want to be the case with a wastegate?

Those things can superhot...

I would fire that thing right in the recycle bin.

·
2,829 Posts
Doesnt get any hotter than a vband connection before or after the gate that people always use high temp rtv on to ensure a seal. I generally dont even run header gaskets, just a bead of high temp copper and never have issues with my headers. I dont see it being a problem and never has been an issue on any of my cars and countless cars out there with our kits

·
Jersey True Street Guy
3,195 Posts
I'm well versed in using copper rtv on header gaskets.

I'm not well versed in using copper rtv on threaded parts of a precision machined component, totally different concept.

·
2,829 Posts
Its not threaded, the base of the top cap fits basically over the stem thats sticking out of the main base part of the gate. There is two thin type washers Ill call them that fit at the top and bottom then the nut tightens the two together. I understand you dont want to do it on your car but its not going to be an issue. I have had mine completely apart before and its not an issue. Your gate has to have some sort of sealant between the two as well

I guess it really just comes down to what the customer chooses to do and what they feel comfortable with

·
Jersey True Street Guy
3,195 Posts
Agreed, everybody has their perspective and can share it.

The brilliance of a forum.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts