Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gonna get a turbo kit. Gonna get an on 3 for my fox. I've installed 2 kits on friends cars and love the way it fits. Anyone chime in and share their experiences good or bad. One friend kept overheating after the install and that's after we put head studs and resurfaced the heads... Anyone else have issues. Kinda on a budget and this seems like most bang for the buck..

·
Registered
46 Posts
Gonna get a turbo kit. Gonna get an on 3 for my fox. I've installed 2 kits on friends cars and love the way it fits. Anyone chime in and share their experiences good or bad. One friend kept overheating after the install and that's after we put head studs and resurfaced the heads... Anyone else have issues. Kinda on a budget and this seems like most bang for the buck..
Well, first let me say that it isn't the on3 kit's fault that your buddies car is overheating. Yes, turbo's are HOT and produce a lot of heat, that's why it's good to have a cooling system that is up to the task. I'm running an on3 kit on my coupe with AC, stock water pump, stock fan, stock radiator. My car barely got over 180, I haven't driven it much since its not tuned but it doesn't run hot the little bit I have drove it.

For the money, you can't beat this kit.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Also, a turbo blanket really helps to keep the heat down. I also wrapped by downpipe and crossover pipe. I should be getting the car tuned within the next month or so. So we will see how she does.

Before I got this kit I had a Vortech v1 s-trim, stock 302 with an explorer intake. Running 12lbs. This turbo setup seems like it will feel stronger on 8-10lbs lol. I love the blowoff valve noise compared to the constant whine of the Vortech. Don't get me wrong though, vortech's are great blowers. If I ever get sick of the turbo world, I'm definitely going back to a Vortech.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've got a v3sci with power pipe at 7psi and was kinda pissed at how much the blower robs power. Btw, its for sale or trade for a turbo kit.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
i had a on3 kit for awhile. my biggest complaint is the flanges would warp and there isnt any real coating on them.

Also alot of guys have good luck with on3 brand waste gate and bov but alot of guys also break them in no time at all. people also say that the factory turbo that comes with the kit is a paper weight.

I have installed a couple on3 kits my self. but i made the switch to Quicktime turbo and i will never go back to on3. once you compare it side by side there it apples to oranges

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
mines done awaiting its tune. No issues so far. I did change out the tb inlet pipe, but just due to looks.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks clean Madspeed! G3mustang, could you send me the link to your kit, and do u have pics you could pm me? Would appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Just put mine on. So far no major issues, had to elongate some of the header bolt holes to get them to line up but other than that it was a simple install!!

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I've purchased and installed 3 of the Fox body On3 turbo kits on my own cars over the last 3 years. I still have the first kit I purchased and installed March of 2010. The kit has been on 2 cars/4 different engines. The only problem I have had was with the flex coupler on the cross over. It started to fall apart after 2 years. I called On3 and they sent me a new flex coupler. They offered to weld it in for me if I would ship it to them. I was in a rush so I had them ship the coupler to me and I had a local shop weld it in. I am still very happy with the kit after 3 years.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Quicktime turbo kit

Also it has locking v band flanges so crossover and downpipe will never leak. also down pipe is two pieces so easy to do sparkplugs

real ceramic coating too

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Fmyth, that's awesome! Noticed you were in the desert too. How were your temps everyday driving?
No problems at all on my 90Gt or my 92 hatch. The remaining car is a 87 notch with c4 and ac and I am having a hard time keeping it cool. I suspect it is a radiator problem and have a new one on order.

·
Registered
785 Posts
If anyone is interested I posted in the for sale thread of my turn key 306 trick flow heads cam intake with a on3 turbo kit and a built t350. Making around 480rwhp 12psi. $5500 for the entire motor computer with Dyno tune, complete wire harness and a built t350. Currently all installed in the car still and running. Car went mid 12s on motor high 10s after turbo.

I have roughly $2800-3000 into just the turbo setup after I upgraded fuel injectors, maf, fuel pump, fuel rails and new lines, $600 dyno tune, ect ect. Would save someone a lot of cash if they were interested.

http://forums.corral.net/forums/windsor-engine-parts/1801297-complete-306-engine-turbo-transmisson.html

1 - 20 of 26 Posts