Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a quick vid on the dyno. Car is bone stock 5.0 with 140k on the motor. Made 433rwhp and 556rwtq. Pretty happy.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, total budget build. I only have $4k in the car total. The only mod to the motor is the intake. Bone stock! I just need to get a paint job now.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Yep, total budget build. I only have $4k in the car total. The only mod to the motor is the intake. Bone stock! I just need to get a paint job now.
WELL MY DYNO NUMBERS MUST BE WAY OFF THEN...LOL..How much boost you making?...What dyno is it? I have way more motor work then...Maybe mine is off....lol

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
I want mine re-dynoed..LOL...Now i have to find another dyno shop to throw it on and see what they get...

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
and through an AOD?... wow

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have had it on 2 different dyno's both within 5hp and 10tq of each other. They are both dynojets. I have the 13psi spring in the tial gate but I only see about 10 cause im at high elevation. We lose boost cause of that. And I want to thank Chris at Power Adder Solutions for all the help with tuning. What a great guy!

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I have had it on 2 different dyno's both within 5hp and 10tq of each other. They are both dynojets. I have the 13psi spring in the tial gate but I only see about 10 cause im at high elevation. We lose boost cause of that. And I want to thank Chris at Power Adder Solutions for all the help with tuning. What a great guy!
The pressure drop you are seeing is due to the losses associated with the intercooler and cold side piping. Both your boost gauge and your wastegate read off of a gauge reference meaning absolute - atmospheric pressure. Your boost gauge always reads 0 regardless of your elevation (assuming it’s a mechanical). If you are at 5k feet, the pressure at 5k feet is your starting reference for the boost gauge and wastegate. If you want to run 13psi, switch your vacuum reference for the wastegate from the turbo to the manifold. If that little amount of vacuum worries you, add a one way check-valve to the line to prevent it.

I'd check your dyno charts too, as I'd bet they applied SAE correction to them. If you are at a higher elevation, full SAE should NOT be applied to turbo applications as it will artificially inflate the HP and TQ numbers. Remember, the turbo is in essence creating its own atmosphere...so you can't fully apply atmospheric correction (elevation). You will lose some HP/TQ, but the amounts are FAR less than a N/A vehicle would lose.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Something is off NO?..I have way more motor and i see 14 psi...i make less...lol..unless the dyno they used sucked...LOL...:rofl:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Something is off NO?..I have way more motor and i see 14 psi...i make less...lol..unless the dyno they used sucked...LOL...:rofl:
alot of dynos will read diffrent dude.. Just cause you have way more done on your motor and on 14 psi doesnt mean youll make more hp.. your motor could be wore out, ####ty tune, etc

·
Registered
159 Posts
Kolb what do you all have done to the AOD man??

·
Registered
459 Posts
I feel the same way. NOT calling B.S on op but damn, makes me think what have i been doing wrong..

Congrats.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The pressure drop you are seeing is due to the losses associated with the intercooler and cold side piping. Both your boost gauge and your wastegate read off of a gauge reference meaning absolute - atmospheric pressure. Your boost gauge always reads 0 regardless of your elevation (assuming it’s a mechanical). If you are at 5k feet, the pressure at 5k feet is your starting reference for the boost gauge and wastegate. If you want to run 13psi, switch your vacuum reference for the wastegate from the turbo to the manifold. If that little amount of vacuum worries you, add a one way check-valve to the line to prevent it.

I'd check your dyno charts too, as I'd bet they applied SAE correction to them. If you are at a higher elevation, full SAE should NOT be applied to turbo applications as it will artificially inflate the HP and TQ numbers. Remember, the turbo is in essence creating its own atmosphere...so you can't fully apply atmospheric correction (elevation). You will lose some HP/TQ, but the amounts are FAR less than a N/A vehicle would lose.
Millhouse, I'm not an expert but I own a shop and have tuned mustangs up here for 10 years and you lose 2-3 psi no matter turbo or blower. I go to sea level and gain it back. Have you ever experienced 7000ft of DA? It kills boost and power. NA cars are a full second slower in the 1320 up here and boosted cars are about .7-.5 slower. Doesn't everyone do SAE no matter what elevation? I'm not sure about that, I'm no expert but Dynojets shop is in our backyard and they don't seem to think so. I used our own dyno and dynojets and they both read the same. I also had my other turbo car dynoed at Brenspeed in IN. and It was within 5-10 as the two up here. Im not nocking on you millhouse just stating my actual results from different dynos across the country. It would be interesting to take the SAE off the dyno and see what it makes. I will try that next week as my buddy lets me dyno for free for helping him out with his car all the time.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Millhouse, I'm not an expert but I own a shop and have tuned mustangs up here for 10 years and you lose 2-3 psi no matter turbo or blower. I go to sea level and gain it back. Have you ever experienced 7000ft of DA? It kills boost and power. NA cars are a full second slower in the 1320 up here and boosted cars are about .7-.5 slower. Doesn't everyone do SAE no matter what elevation? I'm not sure about that, I'm no expert but Dynojets shop is in our backyard and they don't seem to think so. I used our own dyno and dynojets and they both read the same. I also had my other turbo car dynoed at Brenspeed in IN. and It was within 5-10 as the two up here. Im not nocking on you millhouse just stating my actual results from different dynos across the country. It would be interesting to take the SAE off the dyno and see what it makes. I will try that next week as my buddy lets me dyno for free for helping him out with his car all the time.
You will only lose boost if your turbo is pushed off the compressor map (maxed out). Otherwise, you will produce identical boost (were talking gauge pressure here). That is all controlled by the wastegate (which uses gauge pressure).

Supercharges and blowers are completely different beasts and have no way to regulate their pressure levels. They absolutely will lose pressure with elevation.

You simply can't use SAE correction on turbo'd vehicles at higher elevations. I'm not sure if it's possible to turn of just the DA correction or not, but it's possible to just the STD values. While they may not be 100% on, they will likely be far more accurate.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I made 440 HP and 500lb torque on a stock 67k mile motor with GT40 head and explorer intake running 110 octane with 10lbs of boost. Dynojet. Oh and I have a T5.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts