Ford Mustang Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Authorized corral.net Advertiser
2,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some have already seen in the S-197 2011+ section, we have been working on a complete single turbo system for the new 2011+ 5.0 cars. Its been a long project and nearing the finish line where we can finally put it into production. So just wanted to get a thread going in the turbo section so we can get more exposure, show more photos and answer questions. Its been a fun project and it really turned out as good or better than expected. If you pull up to any show and pop the hood, the turbo just sticks out and looks mean. It really grabs your attention and turns heads.

This is actually our shop car that we used to do the build and it was bone stock when we picked it up. Over the last 3 months or so, we designed an under-hood mounted single turbo system. Each kit is going to come standard with our On 3 Performance ceramic ball bearing 67mm turbo with an option to go with our 76mm as well. We used the 76mm on our shop car and were slightly worried about the spool up and that size turbo. Yesterday we found out that will not be an issue, it spooled up about as suck as you hit the pedal on the right.

As of right now we are just running the 5psi standard spring that will come in the kit. This kit is going to come standard with our new On 3 Performance 44mm V-banded wastegate which is holding boost perfect at 5psi on the dyno. The car is still at Pick-ups Plus Cars.com which is where we get all of our tuning done on our cars at the shop. So once the car is back from there, we will get the official numbers posted but as of now, we are on the right track and I couldn’t be any happier.

Each kit will come complete and just need your choice of injector that you will run and maf recalibrated. Both of which we will be able to supply and include at the time of the purchase.

Once the car is back in our possession, we will finish up the last bit of testing we need and get it out to the track asap. I need to come up with some wheels and tires before we go to the track. Once I have some sticky tires on the car, we will be sure to get some track times. I cannot wait to see what we are going to be able to do at the track. Also wanted to thank BMR Suspension which took care of us in that department. We ended up doing a set of their springs, rear lower control arms, and adjustable pan-hard. Highly recommend the products, bolted on very easily and quick to answer the one question we had on the install.

Also before we got started on the project, I decided to mock up an off-road X pipe that we will also soon offer. We built a custom designed stainless 3” x-pipe for the guys just going the bolt on route. I need to still finish up the turbo parts but we are going to design a 3” stainless kit to eliminate the resonators and go from x-pipe to the axle back. Stay tuned for those new products as we roll them out and continue to develop more parts for the 2011+ platform

2011 X pipe kit:

Getting started on the car

Couple of the brackets included in the kit:

Custom molded couplers for our intercooler kit:

Custom made in-house oil feed line to our new oil restrictor plate:

Fitment of the kit, how everything sits and looks installed:

Im going to reserve and hold the next few posts so that I can add to the thread and also post any updates. That way we can keep as much info and photos in the first few posts if the thread starts to get long.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
^^^Those pics are AN fitting and don't need anything. What they attach to is an AN to pipe thread fitting. The pipe thread side needs something.
This thread should be interesting to say the least.

·
Registered
525 Posts
^^^Those pics are AN fitting and don't need anything. What they attach to is an AN to pipe thread fitting. The pipe thread side needs something.
This thread should be interesting to say the least.
..lol

·
2,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Car is on the way back to the shop, everything went great and we are going to start the production of the kits. We kept the boost low, only running around 5psi right now and left the controller off. Going to put some miles on the car now and enjoy it.

It was fun since the shop tuning our car has done a good amount of work with the 2011's and we were able to compare the ford racing blower and mail order calibration dyno numbers to our car. Very cool to see us at around 5psi making the same torque and off by maybe 40-50rwhp but the blower setup was running around 9.x psi. Not to mention we have an auto that should eat up a few extra hp anyhow. So I think we are on the right track with this kit. If this combo was on a 6sp car and dynojet, I bet it would have been closer 500 rwhp.

We will get it back over for more numbers soon and turn the boost up a little more. All the pulls were done on a loaded Mustang Dyno for those that care to know

·
2,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mainly with this session I wanted to get a tune on it and make sure that everything functioned properly mechanically. Also so that we can get it out on the road and put miles on it to make sure things work out well there as well. Im not a tuner but these cars are intricate and respond to so many things from what Im told. The boost slightly was falling at the end of the pull and if we can slow that down, its going effect it as well. There is still more in the car the way it sits and its early, this is the first test with the car. There are a few things we are going to try in order to see if we can broaden the hp curve but still where its at now isnt bad.

The 76mm on the car will make a ton more power, we just had it on wastegate pressure the whole time. I never installed the controller, its going to make plenty more power.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Id like to see all the small details ironed out before I give you guys a call to order, but definitely interested in this setup.

·
2,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Im a little unsure of the issues really with the setup, we are going to continue messing with the combo and tune but as far as issues, there really aren't any flaws. Im pretty happy with the setup and cant wait to put as many miles on it up here before the weather turns for the worst

·
2,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
wonderful, I have always wanted to see a stock 2011 5.0 graph. Glad you could solve this so call "Problem". Thanks saved us a lot of time over here

My 2v turbo car and 4v 99 both make more torque than hp. Do those have problems too?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Do I really need to answer that last question ?
I wasn't trying to solve your "problem." And I surely haven't saved you any time. You don't apparently know what's wrong yet. But I guarantee it's there. I can already see it, and it will become more prevalent as boost goes up. If you don't already see it in the numbers, you aren't actually testing anything. All you did was dyno tune the car. You won't be able to blame it on the dyno or having an auto either. You think it's normal for a car that peaks at 6500, only be making 20rwhp more at peak that it did at 5300 ? Interesting. Can't wait to see more boost.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.