Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see they creep up in power over the years.

If I buy one of the older GT500, like a 2011 or older, is there an easy way to upgrade the power to new GT500 levels?

Is there any year that is not worth it?

·
Registered
10,012 Posts
Pre '10 GT500s have cheap interior that doesn't hold up very well, primarily the door panel leather pieces. More creaks and rattles.

With just a JLT intake and custom tune with mufflers, my '08 put down 463 to the wheels at 6k rpms. He should have taken it to 6500 but let off early. It was still pulling hard and should have easily put 475-485 at 6500rpms.

I've since then added a 2.5" pulley (peak boost around 15-16psi) and it should very easily put down no less than 520ish at 6500 now.

The next best option is a supercharger upgrade (along with the intake, tune and pulley) for under a few grand and would net 100ish to the wheels. Pretty sure you need bigger injectors as well...

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So if a get an 11 with 3k miles on it for a reasonable price, with minor changes it has the same potential as a newer one?

·
Registered
10,012 Posts
Very close. The 5.8 is an amazing engine but with the right mods, the '11 can be meet and surpass a stock '13-'14.

·
Registered
424 Posts
So if a get an 11 with 3k miles on it for a reasonable price, with minor changes it has the same potential as a newer one?
My '13 put down 609 rwhp completely stock.

I would say any earlier Shelby has the potential to meet and exceed the stock power levels of the 13-14 cars. It just takes money and the correct modifications. You might even want to consider a newer GT and mod it as I know most (well some) are reluctant to mod a Shelby because they eventually want to bring it back to stock. Plenty of new GTs modified that are up in the 600hp range (power adder like turbo or supercharger).

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm looking at 2 different 2012 GT500's, one black with narrow grayish stripes and one white with no stripes at all. I really want a car that doesn't scream look at me. I don't want wide high contrast stripes or some bright color.

If I can't find a Shelby suitable for the price I want to pay I'm going to redo the engine in my Gray CS GT 2011 because it is a beautiful perfect car. I'll either dump 10-15k into my 2011, or dump a little more in a trade on a Shelby.

·
Registered
10,062 Posts
Remember the 07-09s also had the clutch/flywheel issues. If you get one it is basically mandatory to do the synchro check that is documented in the TSBs and then have the flywheel clutch swapped out with the McCleod flywheel/RXT combo or the 2010+ Ford setup.

The good news is a LOT of owners will already have this done among other things. The 07-09 GT500 is a steal if you are looking for a Shelby or special edition car for what you get and for $30k you can usually find one with the clutch done with all the other normal "bolt ons".

Example, there is a 07 near me for sale for $29k with 32k or so miles on it. Has full exhaust, the RXT, a tuner, blower and crank pullies, suspension and a few other cosmetics. Makes in the 520hp range to the wheels IIRC. That car is a simple 13/14 supercharger swap and some better injectors from 700+whp.

The 07-12 motors are all capable of the same output really, they just used aluminum blocks in 11/12 with most everything else being identical.

As far as the 05-09 interiors... the door panels are a well known issue and there are plenty of fixes from just peeling off the stock stuff if its still in good shape and re-gluing it with something that will hold or using aftermarket pieces. The rest of the interior is honestly pretty good.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks!! I'm still looking.

·
Registered
10,062 Posts
Try the svtp classifieds

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is 46k too much for a <10K mile 2012 loaded Shelby? No mods. This is a no stripe car.

·
Registered
10,062 Posts
That's dirt cheap actually. Jump on it if it checks out.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's dirt cheap actually. Jump on it if it checks out.
OK, I'm trying to close the deal.

My insurance will be 1K per year, so that isn't too bad. I thought it would be worse. State Farm values the car at 53k replacement value based on pix and VIN.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Closing tomorrow on a different one. 500 mile drive tonight or Sunday to get it. All checks good.

White car, charcoal single color interior, stripe delete, glass roof, SVT performance pack with 3.73 gear, electronics package with Nav, 16k miles. Still has a few months left on 3 year warranty. Everything I wanted. Looks plain, good date car, and not too expensive.

I always wanted one. Had a 66 GT K code and a 1994 Cobra, my first Shelby.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dealer took my deposit, committed to hold the car until Monday, and then sold the car to a third party. Beyond the deposit, I have maybe $1000 additional expense tied up in this.

I'm not sure what the law is in Indiana. Down here, it is breech of contract or fraud and they would be liable for damages. What a bunch of crooks. It was a GM dealer. I should have known.

·
Registered
10,062 Posts
Sadly even if you are in the right and legally they have to give you recompense good luck getting it or getting it without putting more $$$ into legal fees...

If you have a contract, raise hell with the manager. If it WAS the manager, escalate to corporate. Make a scene in front of as many customers there as possible. After you get your deposit back of course. I'd tell them I was going to call corporate and give them all the names and details unless they compensate you and see what happens, maybe you might get something?

Next step, get on the SVTP classifieds and buy from a private party enthusiast. This accomplishes 2 things. 1- no dealer asshattery. 2- you know who owned the car and often have threads on Shelby/SVT forums you can read about the car and how it was taken care of and if the owner sounds like an idiot or not.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sadly even if you are in the right and legally they have to give you recompense good luck getting it or getting it without putting more $$$ into legal fees...

If you have a contract, raise hell with the manager. If it WAS the manager, escalate to corporate. Make a scene in front of as many customers there as possible. After you get your deposit back of course. I'd tell them I was going to call corporate and give them all the names and details unless they compensate you and see what happens, maybe you might get something?

Next step, get on the SVTP classifieds and buy from a private party enthusiast. This accomplishes 2 things. 1- no dealer asshattery. 2- you know who owned the car and often have threads on Shelby/SVT forums you can read about the car and how it was taken care of and if the owner sounds like an idiot or not.
Oh it gets deeper. I raised hell multiple ways. They called tonight and said after some conversations and meetings the buyer wanted to settle on a new Corvette instead. I said so I get the car after someone maybe hammered it for day or two, for how much now?

I tried to look at the SVT forum but could not see a for sale section. I'll try again.

There still is the $46k 9K mile 2012 in Chicago. It has stripe delete, SVT pack, and nav pack. They will ship to me free, but for 46k plus taxes I need to touch it before signing. That means an 11 hour road trip. I'm 64, so that is two days up and two days back.

This entire thing with cars half-way across the universe is too much headache for me. When I was 30, I could drive 12 hours straight. When I was 30, I couldn't afford 46k for a toy.

·
Registered
10,860 Posts
I just bought a 2010 GT500 vert with Nav, 2.9 whipple upgrade and upgraded 22" Shelby rims with 5,500 miles on it for $42,300. No dyno but I know it puts no less than 650 to the tire.

·
Registered
10,062 Posts
I just bought a 2010 GT500 vert with Nav, 2.9 whipple upgrade and upgraded 22" Shelby rims with 5,500 miles on it for $42,300. No dyno but I know it puts no less than 650 to the tire.
Yeah that's about right for the 2010 with the iron block. But damn... that is a LOT of car for the money.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts