Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before you start laughing too loud and hurt your selfs, I used to run 1 naptha mothball per tank of fuel on my old carbed 302 because I had detonation with the fuel I could get at the time. The difference was night and day hesetation and detonation was gone as long as I added that stinky little thing to my fuel tank then filled up. I noticed no ill effects for the several years I ran that car. I was told about it by some guys that raced go carts as a cheap effective way to up the octain of the fuel. So I gave it a try and was surprised at the results.
Naptha is the same stuff in a can of zippo lighter fluid so we all know it burns, the Q is will it work in a fuel injected car? Anybody ever try it and what was your take on the whole thing??
I know it sounds shadey and I dont blame you for thinking I am nuts but it worked for me then will it work now??

Dwayne

·
Registered
505 Posts
I have heard that a lot of times (years ago). I wander if it would work or not?

Anybody brave enough to try it?

tim

·
Registered
733 Posts
First, there are (were) two different types of mothballs, one type, made of dichloronaphthalene, and another made of naphthalene. You wouldn't want to use the first kind, with the chlorine in it. The second type, made of naphthalene, probably does work to boost octane. Naphthalene is an aromatic hydrocarbon, just like toluene and xylene, and should have the same effect, ie boosting the octane rating of your gasoline. And the naphthalene moth balls should dissolve completely in the gasoline (after a while), so it shouldn't cause problems in clogging up the fuel filter, etc. But the dissolution isn't immediate, so I don't know about putting them into a fuel injected car and running it immediately afterwards; it's possible that the solids left over might clog something in the short term, but even they would dissolve over time.

As you know, all mothballs are solids, and are NOT what is used in lighter fluid.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know mothballs are solid but my point was that zippo lighter fluid is also naptha albeit a liquid form.
I have thought of disolving the mothballs in some gas then filtering the resulting mix to remove solids and avoid problems.
A box of 100 mothballs is very cheap and will last a very long time this is why I am bringing it up.

Dwayne

·
Registered
733 Posts
46GTSblown said:
I know mothballs are solid but my point was that zippo lighter fluid is also naptha albeit a liquid form.
I have thought of disolving the mothballs in some gas then filtering the resulting mix to remove solids and avoid problems.
A box of 100 mothballs is very cheap and will last a very long time this is why I am bringing it up.

Dwayne
No, Dwayne,

Naphtha and naphthalene are two different chemicals. Naphthalene (mothballs) is a four-ring aromatic compound which is primarily solid at room temperature, but sublimes (evaporates) to a vapor, without going through a liquid phase.

Naphtha is an old term for the first "cut" of liquid hydrocarbons in the gasoline boiling point range during distillation of crude oil. It's really unrefined gasoline, with very low octane. Also known as "white gas"; it has no additives and is suitable for burning, such as in lighter fluid or Coleman fluid, but not really any good for use in engines nowadays.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bierbelly,
OK I am man enough to say I stand corrected.

On the toluene front a couple of mothballs per tank is a hell of a lot cheaper than a gallon of toluene every tank.

Dwayne

1 - 7 of 7 Posts