Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Corral Charter Member
3,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All:

Does anyone have any information on a product to reduce or eliminate the corrosion that happens from running straight water?

I don't want to be the jackass ruining everyone's day, but I don't want to ruin my radiator and change freeze plugs either.

Any help appreciated.

Steve

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Why don't you just put antifreeze in it and drain it when you go to the track? Unless you're going to the track often

·
Registered
432 Posts
Redline Water Wetter is what I use.

·
Corral Charter Member
3,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does that work well for preventing rust?

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
yes it has rust inhibitors and conditions seal and gaskets, its like $10-15 per bottle last time i looked,

·
Registered
924 Posts
sorry to bring this back from the dead. but they make an "anode" plug to replace your drain pet ####. it will absorb & prevent corrosion/rust.

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
i ran straight water with water wetter for 2 years on a new motor and new alum radiator on my street car. when we tore everything down my radiator was full of brown rusty crap. dont think it hurt anything but for a car that only had 2,000 miles of use the radiator looked worse than my 170,000 toyota...go figure

·
Registered
314 Posts
To the guys running straight water, you still need something to lubricate the water pump for longevity. Either the Royal Purple or Redline is good stuff and I've used both. Evans Waterless Coolent is also awesome stuff, but at 25 bones a gallon, and needing to have a bone dry block with no water, it's difficult to swallow the switch.

·
Registered
924 Posts
sacrificial anode, distilled water, & 2-4 drops of dawn dish soap. I've used it for years, no problems. Dawn is a surfactant, therefor reducing the surface tension of water and allowing it to cool more effectively.

·
Registered
750 Posts
sacrificial anode, distilled water, & 2-4 drops of dawn dish soap. I've used it for years, no problems. Dawn is a surfactant, therefor reducing the surface tension of water and allowing it to cool more effectively.
could you remove the radiator cap of said system and take a picture of the inside of your radiator?
I would like to see what is in there.
Javier

·
Registered
924 Posts
could you remove the radiator cap of said system and take a picture of the inside of your radiator?
I would like to see what is in there.
Javier

its not together at the moment but don't worry 2-4 drops in a couple of gallons does not make any bubbles or anything of that nature. as point of reference i put 700 hard miles on it with this combination before pulling the motor & when I drained it, it was just a little hazy- not brown & gunky or anything like that.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts