Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning to install my Novi 1000 kit very soon. The only thing stopping me is a fitting in the oil pan. I do not want to drill and tap while it's installed. And I really do not want to pull the pan to weld one on just yet.

So... has anyone here used the the front or side threaded port in the oil pan for return? I could find the correct fitting for this and not have to drill, tap, weld, etc. But I'm unsure if this will cause an issue for not being high enough and not allowing a good gravity feed.

·
Registered
999 Posts
You want it above the oil level so it will feed back properly and not imersed in the oil

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Agreed. I've never ran a supercharger. I wasn't sure about the oil return. I've ran turbo on a few cars. I see now that the return is gravity fed same as turbo.

Thanks.

·
Registered
10,199 Posts
I don't see ANY issue w/tapping the oil pan. U don't drill a hole(Unless aluminum), U use a punch which creates a flute in the the metal. Not flaming, but your choice. I've done at least a 100's w/o ANY probs....Used to own a Hi-Perf/Supercharger sales Shop...

·
Registered
967 Posts
Just like midnightrider wrote... use a tapered punch/awl and put tape around the finished diameter so you'll know how far to go in. Just make sure that whatever you use is not too long as you'll end up hitting the crank. This will create some material so when you cut the threads, you'll have more than one or two threads to screw the fitting on. Oh and use plenty of grease on the tap to catch the shavings!!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I read that in the Paxton instructions. It says to do that exactly. I guess I'll give it a go. I've just always welded fittings on my previous cars. But all those oil pans came off easy. Not so in a fox...

·
Registered
999 Posts
Agreed. I've never ran a supercharger. I wasn't sure about the oil return. I've ran turbo on a few cars. I see now that the return is gravity fed same as turbo.

Thanks.
its the same concept really

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
As stated above, punching the pan is an over thought procedure. Just follow the advice above and you will be fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts