Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone here ran a oil restrictor for their turbo setup? if so what size and PSI are you running WOT. i have a high volume oil pump on my 4.6

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I use 1 .064 for both my turbos. I have 75+psi at wot.
You may want like a .035 for yours.
I've read you can swap out the pressure spring in the oil cobra pump with a gt spring and lower the pressure.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Can you have to much oil psi going to the turbo?

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
yeah. it can blow out the seals and smoke like a freight train. thats why restrictors
are used.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
can i ask a question as well?

the on 3 kits don't come with a restrictor, from my under standing the narrow line supplied that goes to the turbo is the restriction.(its like a 4 an line?)

when upgrading to a high volume oil pump do you need to get a restrictor?

·
Registered
748 Posts
I know chad has told me that if running a Master power turbo they require a 1/8" line to warrentee the turbo any smaller they wont. AS for the line size its either -4 or -3

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
im still stuck between a .072 and a .065 restrictor for my setup. i ended up blowing the oil seal on my compressor side on my master power turbo. luckly i had it rebuilt for free. i run 75psi+ at WOT when warm so a restrictor is a requirment for master powers. i spoke to the master power rep. and he told me the max PSI for the 70 and 76 mm turbos are 80 PSI. Any more than that and your blowing seals for sure. i also run a -12an drain line.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
So would it be best to talk to the turbo manfucter on what the max psi the turbo can have? Iam gonna be doing the frist turbo build and don't want to blow the seals out and brake it

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
all turbos are different when it comes down to oil pressure limits, like journal to ball bearing. garrett to master power, etc. every manufacturer has a limit and recommended oil pressure to run on your turbo. manny from master power said that Master power turbos can handle up to 80PSI, now most stock engines will be fine. If you have a high volume or aftermarket pump with high pressures you will need a restrictor. just because you run a -3 line doesnt mean it is going to lower your pressure all the way. its like insurance for your turbo. now on the flip side, if you put a restrictor on and dont need it because your oil PSI is low, you can rist burning your turbo up or roasting your bearings.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Ok I'll that's good to know I plan on having the MMR oil pump so I'll probley need the restricker but I'll deal with that when I get to it at least I know to look out for it, does anyone happiness to know the psi on a precsison pt6776?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i think i'm going to run a .070 orfice on my setup. my oil PSI is 75psi + after 3500RPM too, so to be on the safe side that will bring it down to about 35-40 PSI.

has anyone ever used NOS nozzles as restrictors.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts