Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

The car in discussion is my 94 Cobra with a Vortech V-2 S-Trim. The 3/8 NPT plug that threads into the pan has been pissing oil for some time now so last night I drained the oil, removed the plug, cleaned it all up and attempted to thread it back in with hi-temp rtv (red). The issue is that the plug doesn't sit tight where the pan was punched, there's really no threads to grab. The RTV is the only thing really holding it in, I started the car up after replacing the oil and let it run for a little while on jack stands keeping my eye and no leak.

My concern is that although the leak seemingly has stopped, the rtv isn't a strong enough bond to hold the fitting in long term and it could pop out driving down the road.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd reaaally like to avoid having to remove the pan although ideal it would have been nice to have a bung welded in.

Thanks!

·
Registered
242 Posts
go with 1/2 npt and weld it or jb weld around outside

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So a little update.

Two things, the dumb ass that punched and tapped my pan didn't punch or tap it at all - he drilled it which is why there's maybe an 1/8" of material to thread into. Greaaat.

#2 is that the fitting he used when he drilled the pan is actually not the vortech fitting at all. It might be 1/4" so I went to the hardware store and picked up a fitting exactly as vortech uses and I'm going to take a 3/8 NPT tap and see if I can enlarge the hole carefully and maybe at least have 2-3 threads for the fitting to grab.

At which point, like you say blownmarkvii I'll get it tight and jb weld the crap out of it.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Busta, even with mine at the proper size, it still leaked a little bit. I did have threads and got it kind of snug, but I still pulled it out and RTV'd it before putting back in. That did help me quite a bit.
Worse case, either use a bigger fitting, or do the JB weld like said above. Solder is probably the best bet. I didnt know you could solder stuff like that. If my motor comes out again, Im gonna have a proper pan with a drain built in or welded in.

·
Registered
198 Posts
would 3m panel bond work? I would let it sit overnight so it fully hardens ...note it will not come out again but I would think it would seal for sure

·
Registered
64 Posts
RTV is a sealer with ZERO strength......you need to clean it up really good and use some good epoxy to reinforce it!!:wink2:

Ideally, remove the pan and do it right!!:smile2:

The main reason I never wanted a blower that uses engine oil for lubrication!!:|

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
So a little update.

Two things, the dumb ass that punched and tapped my pan didn't punch or tap it at all - he drilled it which is why there's maybe an 1/8" of material to thread into. Greaaat.

#2 is that the fitting he used when he drilled the pan is actually not the vortech fitting at all. It might be 1/4" so I went to the hardware store and picked up a fitting exactly as vortech uses and I'm going to take a 3/8 NPT tap and see if I can enlarge the hole carefully and maybe at least have 2-3 threads for the fitting to grab.

At which point, like you say blownmarkvii I'll get it tight and jb weld the crap out of it.
Still have the 3/8 NPT tap that came with the kit. Had to buy a Tapered Punch Air Chisel to form the hole. Still have that, too. Hit it with a hammer since no air tool.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the help guys!

So great news, I ended up grabbing a new fitting from the hardware store as the threads on the existing one were pretty gummed up.

Before doing anything, I slowly started to thread the new fitting into the pan and it was catching nice and snug. I then cleaned the hell out of the surface, whipped together some JB Weld and let that bitch dry for a day. It's no longer leaking and I'm confident it'll never move again.

It's funny my motor has now seen 15 fresh quarts of oil in 3 weeks.

·
Registered
999 Posts
It's funny my motor has now seen 15 fresh quarts of oil in 3 weeks.
I have never had any leaks that bad, but that would piss me off. I was super anal about cleaning up any leaks before this oil change as I swapped over to Amsoil Zrod this time and this #### is liquid gold in both price and availability.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts