Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of my turbo build for a stock 302, I did a search and didn't come up with much on this topic. The only instuctions I have to go by are from the Vortec site. Everyone using these same instructiuons? Any do's and don't before I punch my oil pan?

By the way my kit came with all the braided lines and fitting minus the oil supply side.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Just use the same setup as the fool proof Vortec setup you found the info for.

All of the supply side fittings are 1/8 NPT which is the standard for nearly all high pressure oil applications including the SBF.

Vortec makes a special punch that really takes the worry out of punching that pan, but it's not a must.:)

·
Registered
231 Posts
if you are all lazy like me, run the feed tee'd off the pressure switch port and run the return strait back into the front drain plug :lol: laugh all you want but it works great.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea, i just bought a punch, going to attempt to knock a hole in the pan. Hopefully I dont hit the crank! Went by the harware store and they had like 5 brass fittings to make up the supply line, said no way that looked like poo. What are you guys using? Maybe i can tap the stock fitting?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Remember to pack the 'flutes' with grease when tapping to collect all the metal shavings. Works like a champ.

I also put some liquid teflon (permatex tack and seal) around my oil return fitting to ensure no leakage.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Which side is your return going on? I had a fitting welded into my pan and then a -12 line run from the turbo to the pan. Use stainless line and it looks pretty sweet. I've got that pan with the fitting on it on the passenger side if you'd like something like that. Its in really good shape, and powdercoated black. I switched plans and put the turbo on the drivers side, so I got another pan and did the same...

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Be SURE to follow the directions from Vortec in relation to the position of the drain on the pan. When done correctly you will be inline with a main cap. You can use a cheap, short, fat plumb bob to flare the hole to the proper size….as anything too long will bottom out on the main cap before you get the proper amount of flare.

As for the oil feed, the cleanest way is going be drilling and tapping the feed log with the proper size NPT. After that it’s just a matter of getting the proper adapter from the npt feed log to the whatever fitting is on your oil feed line. Here is a pic of how my twin setup turned out with doing just that….

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got it! I took the dirrections off the vortec site for the return line. I tapped the log like you did, works great.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I had my pan off so I drilled a hole and welded the fitting in.

·
Registered
43 Posts
For the return I used the vortex instructions to place the hole and I bought a -10 bulk fuel line fitting. It has a nut on the back so it bolts right in with no welding. Then I use a -10 braided line and fitting for it.

·
Registered
422 Posts
for my setup i just copied the vortech setup with fittings from the hardware store.

the hole in the block is 1/4 NPT, i got one, 2" pipe with male 1/4NPT threads on both end. also got one T fitting with female 1/4NPT on all three ports. got one 1/4 male to 1/8 NPT female. and one 90* 1/4 NPT fitting (male to female)

then i got the oil and feed stuff from RPS. it uses -3 lines with 1/8NPT fittings. also got the -10 drain setup.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts