Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was talking to a Royal Purple rep and he had some very interesting info that I thought was BS until I started researching. I am going to switch my vehicles because I can go 12,000 miles between changes or double/triple the mileage of conventional oil. Plus all the benefits of RP and how it treats metal. I had been changing the oil in my Stang every 2-3k...now I can go every 6-9k with a proper filter changes. I will do every 12k in my Suburban for sure since it isn't driven as hard. Both vehicles will get frequent filter changes, but oil will get changed every 9-12k for sure.

What do u do or think about this?

·
Jersey True Street Guy
3,195 Posts
Audi's routinely go 10k per oil change per specification with synthetic. I will tell you the oil is really nasty when it comes out.

I used to use royal purple in the mustang and my engine builder wanted to see me use conventional Valvoline race oil. After sustained racing he said he has had better results when inspecting disassembled motors.

Perhaps I am too compliant but I always follow the owners manual or engine builder.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
My lady has a 2011 VW and they say the same about the oil changes, but they also don't change the filter for 10k. I will change the filters every 3k (if using a cheapy) and top off as needed. Oil has come a LONG way. The extended performance or extended drain filters can go just as long as the oil.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
A newer daily driver I have no problem going 6-8K miles if you use a good oil and filter.

But for an older vehicle (pre 2000ish) I like to stick to about 5K.

I would never go more than 3K miles in a power adder performance application, there is just so much more added stress.

I have a friend that changes his oil very 10K miles and he tells me a change mine too much. But I've never heard anybody complain about how they just took good of care of their car/truck.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
From the RP site 1st qute is for racing engines and the 2nd is for passenger cars.

"How often should I change the oil in a race car?

This can vary depending upon application and the level (amount) of contamination (i.e. dirt, fuel, water, etc.). A good rule of thumb is to find out the racer’s current type of oil and oil change interval. If the racer is using petroleum oil, you should feel comfortable doubling or tripling their change interval. If the racer is running another synthetic, you can feel comfortable doubling their change interval."

"How many miles can I go between oil changes?

Royal Purple suggests adhering to manufacturer’s recommended oil change intervals for vehicles under warranty using its API-licensed1 SAE engine oils. With Royal Purple HPS, drain intervals may be extended to 12,000 miles (20,000 Km) or one year, whichever occurs first in street-driven, mechanically-sound vehicles. For guidelines specific to your vehicle, we recommend contacting our technical department at [email protected]."

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
From the RP site 1st qute is for racing engines and the 2nd is for passenger cars.

"How often should I change the oil in a race car?

This can vary depending upon application and the level (amount) of contamination (i.e. dirt, fuel, water, etc.). A good rule of thumb is to find out the racer’s current type of oil and oil change interval. If the racer is using petroleum oil, you should feel comfortable doubling or tripling their change interval. If the racer is running another synthetic, you can feel comfortable doubling their change interval."

"How many miles can I go between oil changes?

Royal Purple suggests adhering to manufacturer’s recommended oil change intervals for vehicles under warranty using its API-licensed1 SAE engine oils. With Royal Purple HPS, drain intervals may be extended to 12,000 miles (20,000 Km) or one year, whichever occurs first in street-driven, mechanically-sound vehicles. For guidelines specific to your vehicle, we recommend contacting our technical department at [email protected]."

Yea, because the manufacturer is always the best place to go for unbiased information. :rofl:

·
Banned
168 Posts
Something to consider:

Turbo cars tend to run rich and the extra fuel breaks down oil faster than a comparable N/A car.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was just posting what I found and I found others that have confirmed this. bobistheoilguy.com is a great source on this.

·
Formerly eades5.0
4,716 Posts
I run the Royal Purple in all my vehicles, and also extended the oil change intervals. I don't do 12k but I do 10k in my diesel pickup, and usually 6-7k in my wifes Lexus. In my Mustang I change it more frequently just because I am picky with it. I also run Royal Purple oil filters.

-Chris

1 - 10 of 10 Posts