Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a couple of Questions here.
I currently have a Bassani X-pipe w/Cats and a Bassani quiet thunder cat back.
1. If I go to an off-road Xpipe will I have much of a gain in HP or Tq? I'm thinking maybe 1 or 2 more hp.

2. Will an off road X-pipe be louder than the catted x-pipe? I'm thinking it will be but not much. I don't want it as loud as an H-pipe.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I went from a Bassani Catted X-pipe to a MAC catless X-pipe, it got a lot louder and felt like I lost a lot of low end power. Now I am running the MagnaFlow Catted X-pipe, I like it a lot. I would recommend staying with cats.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I had a Bassani X with converters. That is until the great quality cats took a dump. Now I have a ghetto rigged off road Bassani(straight pipe welded in). It is WAY louder trust me. You have no idea. I'll tell you this, your going to lose a little bit of torque. I felt a very noticeable loss. BUT the car sings now at high rpm's. I think it's a toss-up.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
willrace4food said:
I had a Bassani X with converters. That is until the great quality cats took a dump. Now I have a ghetto rigged off road Bassani(straight pipe welded in). It is WAY louder trust me. You have no idea. I'll tell you this, your going to lose a little bit of torque. I felt a very noticeable loss. BUT the car sings now at high rpm's. I think it's a toss-up.
So if I were to go with an off-road I will loose some power?

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Your going to lose torque. That is because there is less back pressure in the exhaust. However, you'll gain power up top as well as your power band shifting upward. Your car is going to feel a little "sluggish" maybe less "punchie", but will pull to red line better than before.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Maybe one of the guys around here can chime in. I *think* it might be faster. Your PCM is the powertrain control module (the computer that controls the car). A CEL is a Check Engine Light. The computer will tell you if the cats are out of range (bad).

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I have had both a Bassani o/r and catted x-pipes on my Cobra and used them with the Bassani cat-back. I couldn't stand the sound with the o/r and the Bassani cat-back. It sounded raspy and terrible to me. I have a convertible and I didn't like the exhaust smell without the cats.

But the off-road pipe with the mufflers disconnected ran very well at the drag strip. I kept it and modified it for the BBK longtubes, at the strip.

Joe Lynch

1 - 11 of 11 Posts