Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As part of my SN95 brake conversion and front end refresh for my 89 LX, I have installed the following -

MM CC Plates
Bilstein struts (installed without the MM-included bumpstop per the instructions)
FMS "C" Springs (re-used)
New front lower A arms (stock replacements w/rubber bushings)
Energy suspension poly sway bar bushings & end links
Reman steering rack (nice unit from Rack Doctor)
New tie rod ends
SN95 spindles & hubs (junk yard)
SN95 calipers
New pads/rotors

The first few times I took it out after having the alignment done, I heard loud metal clanging over every bump. Turns out my P/S return line was interfering with the rack and swaybar. Couple of zip ties fixed that.

I still have a problem when I go over even the smallest bumps the vibration isn't too bad (I expect a stiff ride) but the noise it makes sounds like an excessive amount of metal clanging together. I've quadruple checked all nuts and bolts for proper torque and am unsure what to check next.
Is this to be expected with this setup or is there something I can add to dampen the noise? The car is being set up as a weekend cruiser + autocrosser. With emphasis on the autocross over cruising.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Definitely odd. You have a fairly basic setup so it must be something, that noise is NOT normal. As much as I hate the C springs, I find it hard to blame this on them. My first guess would be to double check how you tightened the new control arms as you can do it in such a way that the bushings bind. See MM's website for details, iirc. After that, make sure you put the .033" spacer on the ball joint as the SN95 spindle requires it if you don't go to a new style ball joint.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I actually goofed up the control arm install first and redid them the correct way (tightened down with the weight on all four wheels). I have the custom spacers too.

I wish I had a gopro I could rig up inside the wheel well to see what's going on when I hit bumps.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Go over the suspension with a fine toothed comb. Can you see any witness marks?

Is there any directionality to the noise?

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I had a MM CC plate go bad that was causing something like what you describe but it was 7-8 years old. The way I finally found it was with a set of "chassis ears".

·
Registered
5,502 Posts
Tops of struts hitting the hood? I set mine up very close and over certain bumps they would hit. Had to back them off a bit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts