Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title states I am wondering who makes the best S281 spoiler now that the best quality S281 spoilers aren't made anymore. Most of the S281 spoilers that I have seen look like they are saggy, flat, and don't conform to the rear quarter panels at all.

I would like to get one for my car, but I don't want to buy a flat, saggy spoiler that looks floppy. Any suggestions? I have seen American Muscle ran out of Kaenen spoilers but replaced them with Speedform. Are the speedform spoilers any good?

I am wondering if there is anyone left in the SN95 community that knows?

·
Registered
699 Posts
I've heard over the years that this guy is good.

MUSTANG

·
Registered
959 Posts
So, where did you end up getting one from?

I use to have a Kaenen S281 years ago but sold it when I wanted to go wingless. I'm now wanting to get another one but as you've mentioned they are out of business. When you google Kaenen S281, American Muscle shows up but the brand is actually SpeedForm. I ordered one and the fit is horrible. The bolt holes didn't line up but mainly the wing tips didn't hug the fender like the S281 is suppose to and the rear edge seemed to lay down more so than it should have. Customer service has been great so far. They sent me a return label, I just need to pack it up and send it back. The Saleen brand is currently out of stock (from American Muscle) but from what I've read I believe those only use the front 2 bolts.

·
Registered
959 Posts
For anyone in the future that finds this post.

Kaenen is not out of business. I just got off the phone with them and placed my order.

Kaenen.com

Will update when the spoiler comes in.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the replies. I had forgotten that I had made this thread. Initially I was looking as hard as possible to find a Kaenen spoiler for my car. However, I went another direction and went ahead and got a Saleen T1 spoiler instead from Tiger Racing. The fitment and quality is phenomenal.

What is interesting is that a poster seems to have found that Kaenen is actually still in business. I had assumed they had went out of business, and I never thought to contact the business directly. The S281 spoiler is definitely one of my favorites, and I think it looks perfect on an SN95.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, where did you end up getting one from?

I use to have a Kaenen S281 years ago but sold it when I wanted to go wingless. I'm now wanting to get another one but as you've mentioned they are out of business. When you google Kaenen S281, American Muscle shows up but the brand is actually SpeedForm. I ordered one and the fit is horrible. The bolt holes didn't line up but mainly the wing tips didn't hug the fender like the S281 is suppose to and the rear edge seemed to lay down more so than it should have. Customer service has been great so far. They sent me a return label, I just need to pack it up and send it back. The Saleen brand is currently out of stock (from American Muscle) but from what I've read I believe those only use the front 2 bolts.
I was afraid that the SpeedForm had horrible fitment, and I know that I would have been bothered by the wing tips not hugging the fenders. That's one of my main issue's with none Kaenen S281 spoilers, because they just don't seem to fit right. I've never seen a real Saleen S281 spoiler so I can't accurately comment on their fitment.

Anyways, will definitely be looking forward to seeing the Kaenen you ordered when it gets in.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I got my Kaenen spoiler in today! I'm so glad they aren't out of business! No other "S281" I found was even remotely close to the quality of this spoiler.

The hardware consists of 1/4-20 threaded inserts (x4) with included 1/4-20 bolts (x4). Man this thing fits like a glove. There is probably about a 3/16"? gap between the tips and the top of the fenders. The minimal gap looks to be perfectly equal on both sides and ride the body line like it's supposed to, not pointing upward of the body line and the rear of the spoiler doesn't "lay down" like others I've seen either.

Will try to get some pics posted later, I had to pull it back off until I'm finished prepping the trunk for paint.

·
Registered
959 Posts
First, this is the SpeedForm S281 style spoiler. I did not take pics of the mounting hardware, Sheet metal Screws into just fiberglass, I wish that I had.

There was a gap difference from one side to the other. Notice that my trunk was not adjusted to the proper height on the passenger side shown in the pic below compared to the fender. I'm not blaming the spoiler for that, my eye twitch couldn't get past the gap, spoiler edges not following the body lines and the hardware to care too much about the gap difference at that point.

Notice how the lip of this spoiler lays down at the rearmost upper edge compared to the Kaenen

Next, this is the Kaenen S281 style spoiler.

The slight difference that you see with the ruler, side to side, is in the adjustment of my trunk latch hook thing-a-mah-bob. After a couple tries of moving that gap from one side back to the other, I'll worry about it after I take it to get painted soon. Honestly, without the ruler there I can't see the difference.

Just wanted to pass this along for anyone interested, hope it helps someone in the future.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Thank you for posting this. The pictures you posted convinced me which one to get. Man, my parts list just keeps getting longer and longer.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you Adrenalin for posting those pictures. Finally someone made a great comparison on why the Kaenen is the best quality S281 spoiler you can get. I remember talking to American Muscle on the phone about the speedform spoiler, and they seemed to not know exactly what I was talking about with fitment issues. Also, the person I had on the phone had no idea what a Kaenen S281 spoiler was...LOL.

·
Registered
959 Posts
No problem at all guys. Glad it helped!

I also left a lengthy product review @ American Muscle. It would be nice to see American Muscle and others pick Kaenen back up at least as an additional option, tho not sure if Kaenen would be interested based on our light conversation.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts