Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my accessories belt decided to shred a rib and I'm trying to replace it. On the Novi2000 brackets, there's on bolt/spacer that needs to be removed in order to install new belt. I stripped the Allen head on that bolt. I tried an ez out, but that did nothing.

I had this happen before and I had to remove all the other bolts for the front plate and rotated the plate around to unscrew the stripped one. I picked up a cheap electric impact gun to see if I could bust the other ones loose. I tried it on one of the bolts and it did nothing.

I'm fairly certain it's the counter sunk head that's fused to the plate due to dissimilar materials (aluminum plate, steel bolts). No, I didn't put anti seize on the(stoopid, I know).

Anyone else run into this? Best way to remove bolts? What about penetrating fluid? I put a little acetone/atf on one, but doesn't seem to have helped.

·
Registered
825 Posts
You can take a center punch if you have the room. Drive a good size dimple into the top of the bolt head. Once a good dimple is in place angle the punch some and start hitting it in a manner to loosen the bolt.

You really need to use never seize on the underside heads of those bolts. Replace the bolts once the allen heads starts to get loose to avoid future problems

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't have a picture.

Unfortunately there's no room to get a punch in there without removing the radiator and possibly AC condenser.

I'm going to try some Kroil and heat to see if I can break the easy to access bolts. If I can't get them to budge, ill probably end up cutting the damaged bolt/spacer out so I can get the main belt on so I can put it in storage for the winter( storage is about 150 mile drive).

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I tried soaking in Kroil, heat(from a weak propane torch) and impact, but bolts didn't budge.

So, I got out the reciprocating saw and cut the one spacer out so I could replace the belt. Once I got through the bolt, the head just fell out of the bracket. I was also able to turn the remaining bolt out with my fingers. Looking at the bolt head, there doesn't appear to be any corrosion.

Any thoughts why they are so difficult to break free? Does anyone else have this issue?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts