Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 183 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not looking to stir the pot or have any of the chevy haters in this thread..just showing how fast a stock LS1 motor can run in a Foxbody..

Perfect combo of a light motor in a light car.

Changes:
-Got the car on the dyno /w the wideband, found a bunch more power in the tune yesterday after spending alot of time getting it fully perfect (51 rwhp in the tune, old tune was WAY lean and needed a ton of fuel), put a 85mm MAF and good air intake on it versus the crappy stock one with a little filter smashed against the hood I had on it a couple weeks ago running high 10's...

Car still has stock 98 LS1 shortblock, Stock casting 5.3l heads etcetc.

Todays results:

Track was really greasy, bad prep and everytime I tried the transbrake or left hard I had some traction issues.

Ran 10.0 @ 134.5

·
Premium Member
584 Posts
Hmmmmm...I knew I shouldn't have gotten rid of my 350+ Chevy magazines when I bought my '89 coupe...

·
Registered
131 Posts
Now I don't feel so lonely...
Excellent results!
Hope the Alabama Cleveland boys don't see this, 'cause as we have been told it can't be true!

Congrats!
Dave

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
thats awesome LS motors are the way to go in a fox .. my LS project starts this winter cant wait

BTW: what intake did you end up using ?

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Badass!!

No power adder whatsoever? That's amazing

·
Registered
568 Posts
Awesome! I've been a diehard Ford/Mustang guy all my life, but when the majority of your friends own LS1's it's really hard not to appreciate just how amazing these LSx engines are. As the years went by and these motors kept evolving prices just kept falling and falling. You'd have to be ignorant and delusional to deny the capabilities of the LSx platform.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Nice runs man! LS1 block is nice but try that in that fat foundation F-body lol. How long did you say you had this in the car? Also you said viceo where is my videos muahaha im stirring. Once again congrats!

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
stock 98 LS1 shortblock, Stock casting 5.3l heads etcetc.

Todays results:

Ran 10.0 @ 134.5
Stock as in "factory built"?

Stock pistons, rings, stock cam, lifters? Heads untouched, stock springs, valve job?

The ET/MPH/weight calculate out to ~500 flywheel HP!?

Just trying to clarify, stock to one may not be stock to another, just look at NMRA "factory stock".

Is the 2720 race weight with or without driver?

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Oh forgot to ask a few questions for when you get up.
1. Stock cam?
2.Untouched 5.3 heads?
3. Also give a break down of your run 330.1/8th etc.
My buddies 98 Trans Am with Patriot heads,huge came, bunch of other race goodies runs [email protected] 119. And he is stroked to 383.

What im getting at is you say stock but there was some work done it takes around 500 hp and some change to get your mph in a 2700 pound car, so spill the beans what else is done? A stock LS1 dont make 500 hp with just a tune,also 5.3 heads add some compression but not enough to make big hp, I really am cerious not attacking, i have help on a Few LS1 builds and killed even more at the track. Thanks Doug

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
What converter are you running?

·
Registered
1,666 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Stock as in "factory built"?

Stock pistons, rings, stock cam, lifters? Heads untouched, stock springs, valve job?

The ET/MPH/weight calculate out to ~500 flywheel HP!?

Just trying to clarify, stock to one may not be stock to another, just look at NMRA "factory stock".

Is the 2720 race weight with or without driver?

Stock pistons/rings/rods/rod bolts/lifters/rockers/untouched port heads.

They are not the original 98 ls1 heads, due to the 98's have perimeter bolts and are they seemed to need valve guides/seals due to the high mileage. I pulled the heads off to look at the cylinders and put a fresher set of heads on. So I swapped them out with a stock set of 5.3l heads (worth about $50) off a low mileage truck. It is a Victor Jr carb intake /w sheetmetal elbow /w 90mm throttle body, th350 /w 4200 stall converter. So far best 60 ft is 1.53 on the footbrake.

I did upgrade to double valvesprings /w titanium retainers because I put in a moderate (not large) 233/239 camshaft I had laying around. I plan to swap to a bigger cam for another 15-20 rwhp shortly.

I would guess about 500 flywheel horsepower as well.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Interesting ... but that mph and wieght suggests at least a 125 (100 rwhp) shot. Not trying to take anything away from it as its still damn fast, good job .... Meeester

·
Formerly LSNotch
840 Posts
Stock pistons/rings/rods/rod bolts/lifters/rockers/untouched port heads.

They are not the original 98 ls1 heads, due to the 98's have perimeter bolts and are they seemed to need valve guides/seals due to the high mileage. I pulled the heads off to look at the cylinders and put a fresher set of heads on. So I swapped them out with a stock set of 5.3l heads (worth about $50) off a low mileage truck. It is a Victor Jr carb intake /w sheetmetal elbow /w 90mm throttle body, th350 /w 4200 stall converter. So far best 60 ft is 1.53 on the footbrake.

I did upgrade to double valvesprings /w titanium retainers because I put in a moderate (not large) 233/239 camshaft I had laying around. I plan to swap to a bigger cam for another 15-20 rwhp shortly.

I would guess about 500 flywheel horsepower as well.
You are lying!!:rolleyes: How were you able to install those Cleveland heads to that shortblock? Oops sorry I didn't see that they were stock 5.3l truck heads:evilgrin:

:angel:

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
It is a Victor Jr carb intake /w sheetmetal elbow /w 90mm throttle body,
double valvesprings /w titanium retainers because I put in a moderate (not large) 233/239 camshaft I had laying around.
"Stock LS1":rolleyes:

Still great times.No need to overstate it with the "stock LS1" comments.

1 - 20 of 183 Posts