Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 199 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm wondering if anybody has and non performance minded upgrades they've done to their foxes. I mean non power adders really. I'm looking for things to make my car better. I have the power I'm looking for but just to simply update the car. I'm putting in a sn95 dome light today and was thinking "what else is cheap and easy and would make my car more of a well rounded every day driver?" So here I am asking the gurus here what have you done to make your fox better.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Just off the top of my head... what about upgrading to LED lights, newer rearview mirror, aftermarket shifter, better gauges, better seats, better stereo... maybe add sound deadening material.. newer brakes/suspension.. its endless really..lol.

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
i swapped out my gauge and Hvac control lights with LED's. i used super white and it changed the teal tint to a much more modern blue color....i get into economy honda's and toyota's and feel like there interiors are WAY better then pre-2005 fords. i like foxes but cannot stand the interior, it looks very 70's to me. without going crazy, i would do the lights, a stereo, seats and a steering wheel, assuming you want to get into all of that.

·
Registered
656 Posts
In 5 or 10 years, whatever you do will be "old". JMO

Reactions: HLD-TYT

·
Registered
68 Posts
Get some MM Solid rack bushings and a steering shaft (better yet upgrade from the horrible fox steering rack. Huge difference in feel and road feedback.

·
Registered
5,572 Posts
I converted my old sealed beam headlights to H1/H4; also replaced the stock harness with one using relays. Huge difference in output and load on the system. Swapped my stock mirror for an auto-dimming with compass. Converted the stock braking system to ABS. Added power lumbar to both front seats. Of course, upgraded the sound system with head unit, components and subs. New weather stripping all around. Converting the water based cooling system with Evan's non-water products.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I did some parts swapping from other fords.

T-bird visors, with mirrors and lights. They filled up the gap between the stock visors.

Factory cruise control with steering wheel.

Intermittent wipers.

Brake pedal from an automatic. And moved clutch pedal.

Newer AC compressor, tied into original system. [also did complete AC installs in other vehicles.]

Newer brake swap, twice.

And lots of re-wiring.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Gentex rearview mirror, the one with temp and compass built in. I prefer the auto dimming model, helps with glare from those people that drive pickup trucks with drop-in HID kits in non-projector housings. The mirror also helps to make the car feel/look more "modern", if you will.

CUP HOLDER! Why did they not incorporate it to begin with?? (search this site for cup holder)

Brakes. The 4 cylinder cars and all pre-87 cars had really sorry front brakes. GT brakes (87-93) will go right on but you'll need the spindles and everything from the GT. Not a performance modification, but a safety mod! For the rears, the cheapest is to use a thunderbird turbocoupe rear end (87-88), comes with discs.

Sound deadening!

Subframe connectors. Weld-in (bolt on are worthless). Firms up the entire car. Helps with rattles and squeaks inside the vehicle

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I recently freshened up my interior. New carpet, sound deadener from the tail lights to the firewall, LED dash bulbs, and replacement of various interior trim that was worn. What a difference!

Going on an under hood cleaning spree is nice too. It is amazing what a little polished aluminum, chrome, wiring cleanup, and repainting can accomplish.

Cleaning. Lots of cleaning. Everything. A friend once told me it doesn't cost anything to be clean. It is amazing what you can clean with Simple Green and a pressure washer...

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Gentex rearview mirror, the one with temp and compass built in. I prefer the auto dimming model, helps with glare from those people that drive pickup trucks with drop-in HID kits in non-projector housings. The mirror also helps to make the car feel/look more "modern", if you will.
Any tips on selecting a Gentex mirror? I see quite a few models listed on eBay at various price points. OR do you pop for a new unit via Amazon? Thanks for your assistance.

·
Premium Member
4,538 Posts
Great thread Guys

also interested in which Gentex rearview mirror for a foxbody you used , 88 in my case.

·
Registered
5,572 Posts
Any tips on selecting a Gentex mirror? I see quite a few models listed on eBay at various price points. OR do you pop for a new unit via Amazon? Thanks for your assistance.
In my case, I have a vert. I needed a mirror with built in map lights. That one requirement limited my choices. I also wanted one that was similar in size to the stock mirror. As a result, the best fit for me was a factory Sebring Vert mirror by Gentex. Auto-dim, twin map lights and built-in compass. This is also one of the easiest to set up since there is no need for a temp sensor run to the front of the car.

There is a Corral member selling auto-dim mirrors in all sorts of variations. I bought mine from him --> http://forums.corral.net/forums/int...-maplights-compass-outside-temp-homelink.html

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Great thread Guys

also interested in which Gentex rearview mirror for a foxbody you used , 88 in my case.
This is the one I used:
Robot Check

At the time, they didn't offer the one with the camera screen on it, nor was it available with HomeLink.

I also put one in my dad's LATE '93 (Aug 1993 build date), but his is a CIPA, compass and temp only. It's a little cheaper than the Gentex that had the same options.

Be aware, though, that either the Gentex or the CIPA they are both heavier than what the fox body came with, so when you're installing a new one, follow the instructions to the "T" when adhering the wedge to the windshield. I like to put the wedge further up on the windshield; IMO all cars have them mounted too low, I guess for short people. I'm almost 6'8" so I have the opposite problem.

Other non-performance enhancing mods: OD "off" button, if you're installing a valve body in an AOD, I like to be able to turn OD off and on via button. Nice to have in certain instances, like following a slow driver on a back road right at the point where the trans wants to shift to OD, but not quite fast enough. it shifts in and out constantly in a 5 mph window, on my car, right around 40 mph. I hate it. I turn the OD off. ('04 V6) On my Fox (stock AOD with epoxy mod) you can't turn OD off and at certain speeds it SUCKS.

03-04 cobra rack & pinion. Again, not so much a performance enhancement, but sure makes the car drive better! The stock fox rack is really sloppy feeling, IMO, even in great condition.

PMGR starter. More confident starts. I also like to update the starter cable. I'm in the process of doing that on my Powerstroke as we speak (3/0 welding wire).

Gears. Consider it a performance mod, but especially on AOD cars with more or less stock engines, a 3.73 really wakes the car up even at low speeds. Feels a ton better than, say, the 2.73 or 3.08. Mine was a 2.73. I absolutely hated it! 3.73 also gets better fuel mileage, go figure...but then you'll have to deal with the speedometer gear issues. 3.73 or 4.10 will make the car "feel" 1000 lbs lighter.

Shifter on 5 speed cars...get rid of the stock rubbery shifter! I hate that thing.

Cleaning. Just cleaning the interior of my '92 made a HUGE difference. Not just in the "look" but also my confidence in driving it. You just don't feel good about driving a dirty car, at least I don't. Mine was owned by a smoker before I got it, so I had to clean it with a toothbrush. Removed seat upholstery, wash it by hand in a garbage can, replace seat foam, wipe everything down 4 or 5 times, replace headliner, hand wash the a/c and heater ducts, put it all back together and it almost looks brand new. I still had to run the ozone several times. But I'm really sensitive.

Shocks/struts. "cleans" up the car's feel. Bushings also make a big difference, but I don't care for poly bushings in the front control arms, combined with retaining the stock springs and their location. You feel EVERY crack in the road. Handles better though.

Stereo system. Stock fox speakers are old, even if they're not blown or broken, they still suck. Replace them with newer stuff; and I like to also put in an updated head unit unless I'm going after the all-original look. I don't use the radio that much but when I do, I hate the sorry sound quality of the stock system.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
In my case, I have a vert. I needed a mirror with built in map lights. That one requirement limited my choices. I also wanted one that was similar in size to the stock mirror. As a result, the best fit for me was a factory Sebring Vert mirror by Gentex. Auto-dim, twin map lights and built-in compass. This is also one of the easiest to set up since there is no need for a temp sensor run to the front of the car.

There is a Corral member selling auto-dim mirrors in all sorts of variations. I bought mine from him --> http://forums.corral.net/forums/int...-maplights-compass-outside-temp-homelink.html

I have a 90 vert. What year Sebring mirror did you use?

·
Registered
1,655 Posts

Thanks for the info. I have a unit on the way now. :salute:

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
This is the one I used:
Robot Check

At the time, they didn't offer the one with the camera screen on it, nor was it available with HomeLink.

I also put one in my dad's LATE '93 (Aug 1993 build date), but his is a CIPA, compass and temp only. It's a little cheaper than the Gentex that had the same options.

Be aware, though, that either the Gentex or the CIPA they are both heavier than what the fox body came with, so when you're installing a new one, follow the instructions to the "T" when adhering the wedge to the windshield. I like to put the wedge further up on the windshield; IMO all cars have them mounted too low, I guess for short people. I'm almost 6'8" so I have the opposite problem.

Other non-performance enhancing mods: OD "off" button, if you're installing a valve body in an AOD, I like to be able to turn OD off and on via button. Nice to have in certain instances, like following a slow driver on a back road right at the point where the trans wants to shift to OD, but not quite fast enough. it shifts in and out constantly in a 5 mph window, on my car, right around 40 mph. I hate it. I turn the OD off. ('04 V6) On my Fox (stock AOD with epoxy mod) you can't turn OD off and at certain speeds it SUCKS.

03-04 cobra rack & pinion. Again, not so much a performance enhancement, but sure makes the car drive better! The stock fox rack is really sloppy feeling, IMO, even in great condition.

PMGR starter. More confident starts. I also like to update the starter cable. I'm in the process of doing that on my Powerstroke as we speak (3/0 welding wire).

Gears. Consider it a performance mod, but especially on AOD cars with more or less stock engines, a 3.73 really wakes the car up even at low speeds. Feels a ton better than, say, the 2.73 or 3.08. Mine was a 2.73. I absolutely hated it! 3.73 also gets better fuel mileage, go figure...but then you'll have to deal with the speedometer gear issues. 3.73 or 4.10 will make the car "feel" 1000 lbs lighter.

Shifter on 5 speed cars...get rid of the stock rubbery shifter! I hate that thing.

Cleaning. Just cleaning the interior of my '92 made a HUGE difference. Not just in the "look" but also my confidence in driving it. You just don't feel good about driving a dirty car, at least I don't. Mine was owned by a smoker before I got it, so I had to clean it with a toothbrush. Removed seat upholstery, wash it by hand in a garbage can, replace seat foam, wipe everything down 4 or 5 times, replace headliner, hand wash the a/c and heater ducts, put it all back together and it almost looks brand new. I still had to run the ozone several times. But I'm really sensitive.

Shocks/struts. "cleans" up the car's feel. Bushings also make a big difference, but I don't care for poly bushings in the front control arms, combined with retaining the stock springs and their location. You feel EVERY crack in the road. Handles better though.

Stereo system. Stock fox speakers are old, even if they're not blown or broken, they still suck. Replace them with newer stuff; and I like to also put in an updated head unit unless I'm going after the all-original look. I don't use the radio that much but when I do, I hate the sorry sound quality of the stock system.

great list! what most people do not realize is that driving is an experience, and all the little things add up. i have ridden in too many gutted, clunky, filthy cars to ever consider what many people do in an effort to "go fast".

My vehicles all get tinted, and stay very clean. i used to be big into stereo's but too many break-in's have turned me off of anything flashy. IMO a short shifter, stiffening, gears, and a thorough cleaning turn a commuter into something you can really enjoy!

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
You want a cool upgrade and add virtually everything in one swap?

App-Tronics, Smart Nav 5r

I sell these at work & they are very cool for an upgrade to older cars. Gives you touch screen navigation, blue tooth, front and rear camera capability, built in DVR for those kill video's, built in radar detector, FM transmitter, etc.

Just by swapping out your mirror, leaving the rest of the interior stock appearing. That's paramount to me. I'm in this business for a living and the first thing I did was re-finish my center console and put an OEM stereo back in.

BTW, if anyone has any non premium sound original Fox 6x8 speakers that still work, I'm interested. I took out the aftermarket ones and put the original connectors back in, just trying to get it all back to original inside, and that is all that's left.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
The cupholder mod is very nice. I used the Chevy Corado cupholder in my car. Read about it on a couple of the FB Mustang groups. It is also a great time to add aux power points to the console. I added a dual USB charging port and two for 12V.

If you are redoing your interior it is a great idea to buy an interior screw kit from LMR/NPD. You can get rid of all the stripped, worn out, or incorrect style fasteners.

I spent sometime cleaning up all of the wiring that had been added to the car over the years. I'm a fan of Add-A-Circuit's for tapping into your fuse box for extra low amp accessories. Those weren't around back in the day, so I corrected a bunch of my past wiring sins. I also corrected the wiring disaster of my aftermarket alarm system (thank you previous owner and rushed/underpaid installer). I can't believe it never stranded me in BFE. Buy a Ford Service Electrical and Vacuum Troubleshooting manual on eBay. There is no better reference when combined with VeryUsefulTech's online images.

1 - 20 of 199 Posts